Tinker Board Forum

Full Version: Varying boot results based on used img/distribution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings Tinker-ers!

I've run into a strange issue and I'm not sure where to begin looking to figure out an explanation.

I've tried a number of Ubuntu images referenced through the tinkerboarding Software page and they all boot fine when my TinkerBoard S is connected to a microUSB plugged into a wall adapter. But, when I try to power it either through the GPIO (5v on P2,P4 and GND to P6) or to a microUSB with power and ground wires connected to a 5V benchtop power supply some of the images don't produce a successful boot! The red power LED turns on in all cases, but no activity on the yellow LED.

More specifically, both V1 and V2 of Xubuntu 18.04 LTS_ELAR boot in either case; Linaro Stretch v1.8 also powers up fine in either case. The image that only boots with wall power is Xenial 16.04 V1. I found that Debian v2.0.7 has the same problem.

Does this come down to some configuration file within to each image? If so, which ones? I can guarantee that the power supply is within the proper voltage range and can supply the proper amount of current.

Thank you for any insight  Smile
Not booting when powering from a computer is a feature, not bug. (no computer supplies enough power for stable operations anyway).

And also Armbian doesn't boot since when a computer is detected it acts as an USB drive and is ready to flashing an image.
Hi Tupinambis.

Since a while i only use TinkerOS v 2.0.7 from eMMC of all three of my Tinkerboard's S!
(I tried other OS's, but for me this one is the on wich makes the fewest problems.
I never changed anything at the image like I had to do in RaspBian or DietPI!)

That's why I'm so astonished about your post!

I only use the micro-USB-port to power them, so i can't say anything to the GPIO-Way!
I power them with adjustable benchtop power supplys or in my caravan with strong(50Ah) power-banks.

I power all off them with 5.15 Volts, and to prevent voltage-drops, I use only short and thick USB-Cables!

[Image: 25pmob4.jpg]

If your benchtop power supply is adjustable and you can measure the volts exactly... maybe you can try to give him a bit more!

If it's not adjustable, and you can measure volts exactly , compare it with the wall-adapter!

The first Tinkerboard S I baught, is now running since six weeks(uptime) without any problems.

I hope that will help you a bit.

Greetings

Grulle
(10-25-2018, 09:07 PM)igorpec Wrote: [ -> ]Not booting when powering from a computer is a feature, not bug. (no computer supplies enough power for stable operations anyway).

And also Armbian doesn't boot since when a computer is detected it acts as an USB drive and is ready to flashing an image.

Thanks for the reply, but I never mentioned powering from a computer...

(10-25-2018, 09:30 PM)Grulle Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Tupinambis.

Since a while i only use TinkerOS v 2.0.7 from eMMC of all three of my Tinkerboard's S!
(I tried other OS's, but for me this one is the on wich makes the fewest problems.
I never changed anything at the image like I had to do in RaspBian or DietPI!)

That's why I'm so astonished about your post!

I only use the micro-USB-port to power them, so i can't say anything to the GPIO-Way!
I power them with adjustable benchtop power supplys or in my caravan with strong(50Ah) power-banks.

I power all off them with 5.15 Volts, and to prevent voltage-drops, I use only short and thick USB-Cables!

[Image: 25pmob4.jpg]

If your benchtop power supply is adjustable and you can measure the volts exactly... maybe you can try to give him a bit more!

If it's not adjustable, and you can measure volts exactly , compare it with the wall-adapter!

The first Tinkerboard S I baught, is now running since six weeks(uptime) without any problems.

I hope that will help you a bit.

Greetings

Grulle

Thanks! I will try this img on the eMMC. I fear that distribution is not supported by the software I need to install (ROS). The best luck I've had so far was with Xenial 16.04.2 Ubuntu LTS_LXQT_ELAR, but the alternative power supply boot issue currently precludes me from using it! I would really like to know more about why this is even a factor when I am using the same exact hardware...  Huh There must be a silly configuration file somewhere that modifies the low-voltage detection settings touted on the Tinker Board product description, but where do I look?

Out of curiosity, is there any way or guide on how I can convert an img meant for an SD card to an img for eMMC?
I'm used to switch between installation, all booting without problems, at the mere condition that they have no other devices plugged on the USB. Well I commonly start TB headless, therefore even mouse & keyboard are not there Tongue
There was a case which I oversight to tight the wires from the supply (using GPIO pins), so it caused random booting failures.

I suggest, in case you have additional devices, to separate the supply from the Tinker Board one. Even you need to use USB devices I presume it will be better if a powered USB hub will be used. Well, mouse & keyboard would be the lesser flaw, of course no back-lighted keyboard.

Just for testing, try with no USB plugged devices.
(10-26-2018, 12:23 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: [ -> ]I'm used to switch between installation, all booting without problems, at the mere condition that they have no other devices plugged on the USB. Well I commonly start TB headless, therefore even mouse & keyboard are not there Tongue
There was a case which I oversight to tight the wires from the supply (using GPIO pins), so it caused random booting failures.

I suggest, in case you have additional devices, to separate the supply from the Tinker Board one. Even you need to use USB devices I presume it will be better if a powered USB hub will be used. Well, mouse & keyboard would be the lesser flaw, of course no back-lighted keyboard.

Just for testing, try with no USB plugged devices.

But as I've indicated this is a software issue, not hardware. All methods I used to power on worked successfully for certain distributions. The issue is not in hardware.
Quote:Out of curiosity, is there any way or guide on how I can convert an img meant for an SD card to an img for eMMC?

Armbian image for SD is the same as for eMMC. There is no need to be different.

Quote:But as I've indicated this is a software issue, not hardware. All methods I used to power on worked successfully for certain distributions. The issue is not in hardware.

Armbian is tested and Tinkerboard is among top downloaded images - nobody (who read text at the download page and act accordingly) complains. Before making (wrong) conclusions, make sure you sort out powering. This is the main reason for random troubles ...

Software can't fix hardware troubles or act against ohm law.

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/5845-pro...nkerboard/

Quote:Thanks for the reply, but I never mentioned powering from a computer...

That would be the top reason why it doesn't boot.

This is not X86 distro world. (kernel) Support is the biggest asset.
Quote: Armbian image for SD is the same as for eMMC. There is no need to be different.

I am referring to those images from ELAR that I tested and produced kernel panic when loaded into the eMMC. There are clearly not for both SD and eMMC.

Quote:Software can't fix hardware troubles or act against ohm law.

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/5845-pro...nkerboard/

I've made it abundantly clear that the physical and electrical power configuration was exactly the same for all setups; the only difference being the img file flashed into the SD card. Short of typing everything in all CAPS, I don't know how else to emphasize this any further.
Quote:I've made it abundantly clear that the physical and electrical power configuration was exactly the same for all setups;

I noticed that. If things are on the edge and they are due to mUSB powering design ... you have to be absolutely sure before pointing toward software.

I use LAB PSU (0-5A) all the time but with different mUSB cables ... with some Tinker doesn't boot or crash during boot. Different cable and/or voltage adjustment do the job.