Tinker Board Forum

Full Version: Power consuption(real)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Power consumption: debian, GPU stress test, CPU stress test Photo - power supply with detailed information, custom case(in progress), desktop photo and oscilloscope on tinker power input(via 5v GPIO)

[Image: IMG-20181126-195542.jpg] [Image: IMG-20181126-195219.jpg] [Image: IMG-20181126-195201.jpg] [Image: IMG-20181126-195233.jpg]

Any similar readings?
2.5 A power supply requirement.  Is it with USB powered devices (4 * 0.5A)?
Plenty of people think that the micro usb is unsuitable for high Amps supply. The only good of that is that there's a protection scheme over there, instead of direct supplying on 5 V pins or USB port.

Theoretically the maximum to supply would be 0,35 + 4 *0.5 A, internal consumption + 4 port supply. But I pose a little doubt how the micro USB port is strong enough for such current. I never seen any smartphone demanding so much charging current which is using such micro usb connector.

You should, track the power supply during boot time, which is not governed by any software.
(11-27-2018, 01:25 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: [ -> ]But I pose a little doubt how the micro USB port is strong enough for such current. I never seen any smartphone demanding so much charging current which is using such micro usb connector.

By the special spec and quality requirement. Smile
Boot time - 0.375A. Before GUI.

Disagree about microUSB plug. USB 2.0 spec - 500mA. 3.0 - up to 900 mA.
2.5A recomended power supply(Tinker S 3A).
is that because lots of smartphone and tablet usage needs???
so let some of the microusb can over the usb spec?
I just suppose that for an Amp to go trough a wire it's required at least 1 mm2 of copper. The contact area is rather smaller than that, even assuming a noble metal such gold or silver. So I'm afraid that will stand without overheating.
Don't worry about that, they all pass our ASUS's aging, safty test rule.

BTW,
(11-27-2018, 01:25 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: [ -> ]Theoretically the maximum to supply would be 0,35 + 4 *0.5 A, internal consumption + 4 port supply.
The USB total current would be limit at default 1.2A, to prevent too much current to let system crash.
I've made my decision: 5V 2.4A industrial PSU via GPIO. I don't trust micro USB plug with such currents.
Possible USB power consumers - usb camera for video chat, BT mouse & keyboard, external 3,5' HDD(with own power supply).
I'd add the note to use a hefty wire which should be,at least, AWG 17 or 1 mm2 copper cross section. So if using those jumper wires, DON'T exceed 1/2 Amp.
Thx. I'm using good short wires soldered to GPIO pins
Pages: 1 2