Tinker Board Forum

Full Version: Tinker overheating?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got my Tinker today, flashed the 1.8 OS and booted up.

I am now trying to compile GCC 1.7.0 (I have recently done this on the Pi 3).  The first time it ran for about 30 minutes and died. I got it going again and it ran for a bit and died again. This is my fourth attempt, and each time it seems like it dies faster and faster. The heatsink in warm - but not hot.

I was thinking at first that this was a configuration error, but given that it is dying at earlier and earlier points I am now thinking hardware. Also, when it dies, it will not immediately reboot when the power supply is unplugged and plugged back in (the red light does not come on). I have to wait a bit before it will reboot. I am using a 3.5A power supply so it should have plenty of power.

In case it is the configuration I am using the following...

../configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++ --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-7.1 --program-suffix=-7 --with-cpu=cortex-a17 --with-fpu=neon-vfpv4 --with-float=hard --build=arm-linux-gnueabihf --host=arm-linux-gnueabihf --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf

Any suggestions or should I return this one as a dud?

Thanks.

Dragon

Update, it is now dying while running tar to unpack the gcc-7.1.0 distribution. That is clearly not a configuration issue. The cpu wasn't even loaded. BTW, while this is a 3.5A power supply I did check that it also runs a Pi 3 just fine. This does not seem to be a power supply issue so far as I can tell.
UPDATE:

I replaced the power supply with another one, and it hasn't crashed since and has been compiling at 100% cpu for at least three hours. This one must be defective and I will send it back. It was definitely not an overheating issue, the heat sink is much hotter now than it was before.
A reliable power supply is important.
The Tinker Board does overheat a lot tho. I do video rendering as benchmarks(with KDEnlive) because that uses all cores to the max(and that's what I use them for).
It constantly throttles the speed between 1.0Ghz and 1.6Ghz. Even sometimes as low as 0.8Ghz. So it won't crash because of overheating. It just slows down(a lot)
For me that's no good. I use these sbc's as travel video editing machines. And with these specs it's too slow. I'll look for a beefier heatsink for it, but I don't think that will do it.
I've got an Odroid C2 clocked at 1.75Ghz and it never overheats, also it has got an eMMC. So the C2 keeps beeing my nr.1 SBC.
Cheers
N.A.D. or BadPritt
(06-25-2017, 12:23 AM)Dragon Wrote: [ -> ]UPDATE:

I replaced the power supply with another one, and it hasn't crashed since and has been compiling at 100% cpu for at least three hours. This one must be defective and I will send it back. It was definitely not an overheating issue, the heat sink is much hotter now than it was before.

Big thanks to your Post,
I had the same Problem, at first i thought its a temperature issue too, i never thought that the problem is the power supply, because the power supply from the mains adapter is stabilized.

At first i used a standard Samsung "Travel Adapter" handy charging device (5.0V 2.0A), according to the data sheet it fit.
When i startet stressing the cpu it took about 10 seconds then it died, again and again.

Now i Use a 5V 2.4A USB Hub for the power supply, and it works. Actually CPU is at 100% and no issues.

Greetings and Thanks from Germany