Tinker Board Forum

Full Version: Couple of Tinker Boards | Blackscreen only
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Tinker Board Community, today a couple of these boards arrived here. I planned to work a bit on them, but the software just don't work that good.

The issue is that the Tinker Board doesn't detect the supported display resolutionvia HDMI. Therefore it falls back to a mode that my Displays can't handle (Mode is unsupported) so there is just a blackscreen.

So we tried 4 Displays in total now. 3 of them says "Mode unsupported" due that strange and uncommon resolution. Only one Screen in working, well I set it to 1080p and connect it back to the other. This is where the buggd Res. auto detection jumps back in and we get "mode unsupported" again.

Is there any way to fix the auto detection? Do we have Driver Source Codes? Setting a x11 config file by hand every time we connect to a new display is highly unsuitable.
There is a way to sort it out, but I have had to reset my password about 6 times and took me almost 20 trys at the letters to prove I am not a bot that now I got here I am not in the mood for helping anyone, but if you look back over the older post you will see this issue has come up many times and the solution is in one of the note cards, I will not be logging on to this very badly organised forum again
There should be a new tinker os that will fix the HDMI problem. I was given it to test last week and it detected all my monitors ok. Just wait for them to release it
Thanks Johnb_summers.

I found: https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-321.html

It's just scary how much afford is needed to just bring the picture on screen.

I'm from the x86 world and I always bought Asus, I didn't expect such a official software behavoir.

@Z80 "Just wait for them to release it" isn't something we want to read as consumer on a board that is listed since Jan.2017 and has HDMI as a build in feature.
Dont count on that new release working. They gave it to me to test also and it didn't work.
Strange, many devices out there (consoles, x86 boards, and also the Steam Link) work without no problem. They just detect the res.

I might try some lower versions of Tinker OS later, as I just tested 1.9 and it seems like this build has some more issues with HDMI.

Is armbian running good? Or do they use the same base ?
Armbian use either Rockchip 4.4 kernels or mainline kernel integrating my patches. Now some things are still not integrated, notably the Bluetooth and the VPU (which is essential for smooth video playing).

However, give the HDMI a try with the latest kernels. You can use ARMbian, or you can use whatever ARM distribution you want with my prebuilt kernels.
(07-26-2017, 07:57 AM)Traace Wrote: [ -> ]Strange, many devices out there (consoles, x86 boards, and also the Steam Link) work without no problem. They just detect the res.

I might try some lower versions of Tinker OS later, as I just tested 1.9 and it seems like this build has some more issues with HDMI.

Is armbian running good? Or do they use the same base ?

My display works with all the previous versions of Linux and Android. It only has a problem with 1.9.
Good news!

The problem was in 1.9, the HDMI is a bit broken in that build. I just installed 1.8 and it works now. I also can see all the boot messages.

Working:
- Proper Display output
- Ethernet
- VLC
- YT via https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/threa...tml#pid154
- Retroarch
- Onboard
- Solaar (Logitech Unif.)
- Netflix via https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/threa...ht=netflix

Whats not working:
- internal Bluetooth, even with GUI installed and proper adapter detection. I can't connect to my Samsung Bluetooth Keyboard/Touchpad, i would not let me pair.

Whats not tested:
- WiFi
- external Bluetooth Adapter (USB)

The performance is fast. I like these boards.
Hi Fellow Tinkers,

The compatibility issue usually occurred with the specific device, and it’s difficult to replicate if we don’t have the device or system log.
To provide wider range screen resolution support and higher compatibility of different screens.
The display output setting of the latest TinkerOS-Debian will try to output the default resolution based on the screen's HDMI EDID.
But sometimes the screen does not actually support the default resolution that EDID gave.
For this kind of the cases, we are willing to replicate the issue if we have the same screen on hand.
Or we’ll need your help to provide the system & display logs to us for further analysis.

Please include information such as:
l OS Version
l Description of the issue experienced
l Monitor model
l Logs (via SSH)
l Log via command “sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary | grep -ie npll -ie vop0”
l Logs from /var/log/*
l If VGA or DVI dongle used and model
l Any photos or screenshots if possible

Thanks and keep tinkering!

Best Regards,
ASUS Tinker Board Team