Tinker Board Forum

Full Version: How do I install a fan and RTC at the same time?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A fan takes no. 4 and 6 pins and RTC takes no. 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 pins, but when RTC is pluged in, the 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 pins cannot not be used beacuse there is no space. Can I use other pins for fan?
I just use the 3.3v one (the yellow one) in the middle. The fan will be slower but it works adequately for me. A little bonus is the fan is less noisy as well.
(10-28-2017, 01:46 AM)qaplus Wrote: [ -> ]I just use the 3.3v one (the yellow one) in the middle. The fan will be slower but it works adequately for me. A little bonus is the fan is less noisy as well.

(10-28-2017, 01:46 AM)qaplus Wrote: [ -> ]I just use the 3.3v one (the yellow one) in the middle. The fan will be slower but it works adequately for me. A little bonus is the fan is less noisy as well.

(10-28-2017, 04:25 AM)Nobody Wrote: [ -> ]

(10-28-2017, 01:46 AM)qaplus Wrote: [ -> ]You just use a single pin? How come? 
You can use any ground pin for the other pin.

(10-28-2017, 01:46 AM)qaplus Wrote: [ -> ]You just  use a single pin? How come? 

You plug the red to the yellow pin and the black to the black pin 6. Or plug red to pin 1 and black to pin 6.
You will need a plug to convert the fan plug to a separated red/black plugs.

Enlarge these pics and you will see how it plugs in using the 3.4v.

Acrylic Clear Case Enclosure with Cooling Fan for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B / Pi 2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-Clear-C...0505.m3226
(10-28-2017, 12:32 AM)Nobody Wrote: [ -> ]A fan takes no. 4 and 6 pins and RTC takes no. 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 pins, but when RTC is pluged in, the 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 pins cannot not be used beacuse there is no space. Can I use other pins for fan?
There are fans connections that do allow for both a RTC and the fan to connect.
I have both on my Tinker Board and all of my RPi3s.
To be fair, there are a few different connectors that require a bit of shaving to get them to work.
There are some that have red connectors that don't need to be fiddled with at all.
Here's a link on Ebay for an example:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cooling-Cooler-F...SwrhBZDMWl

I switched the red and black wire locations in the connector for a nicer fit, but otherwise, it will work with no fiddling.

The RTC modules I use are the I2C ones.

Good Luck!
(11-01-2017, 02:56 PM)TLoATDaE Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2017, 12:32 AM)Nobody Wrote: [ -> ]A fan takes no. 4 and 6 pins and RTC takes no. 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 pins, but when RTC is pluged in, the 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 pins cannot not be used beacuse there is no space. Can I use other pins for fan?
To be fair, there are a few different connectors that require a bit of shaving to get them to work.
There are some that have red connectors that don't need to be fiddled with at all.

I switched the red and black wire locations in the connector for a nicer fit, but otherwise, it will work with no fiddling.

Good Luck!

You can remove the wire  pins from the plug and connect each wire to a 1-pin plug.

Something like these. I don't know if these will fit the TB pins.
I bought these at an electronics store and they was to large for the TB pins. 1P mini-fit jr. female contacts 18-24 awg
Does anyone know what the size information for the TB pins.

Maybe these will fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25Set-1Pin-Blac...SwlndZEuGX
(11-01-2017, 03:44 PM)Jay Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2017, 02:56 PM)TLoATDaE Wrote: [ -> ]

Good Luck!

You can remove the wire  pins from the plug and connect each wire to a 1-pin plug.

Something like these.  I don't know if these will fit the TB pins.
I bought these at an electronics store and they was to large for the TB pins.   1P mini-fit jr. female contacts 18-24 awg
Does anyone know what the size information for the TB pins.

Maybe these will fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25Set-1Pin-Blac...SwlndZEuGX

As those are the same width as the 5x1 set on the clock module, they should fit nicely without too much fuss.

Nice find! 2x1s of those ends are the best for things like fans and LEDs, or even switches that use adjacent pins. The singles certainly have their uses, though.