This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working on Android TV image, need root - any help?
Wink 
Hello all,

It took a lot of trial and error, but I think I have succeeded at creating a mostly functional Android TV Box (I call it TinkerTV) from my TB. There are occasional app crashes and force closes, but I expected some hiccups. For the most part, it runs pretty well. I pushed the ATV Launcher Pro app via ADB which allowed me to access Android settings and anything that doesn't show on the TV Home. I have more work to do on this but thought I would share in case anyone else can take it to the next level.

Working:
  • Search
  • Recommendations
  • Play Store
  • YouTube/YouTube Kids
  • Hulu
  • Pluto TV
  • Plex
  • All stock apps that install with 20190515-tinker-board-android-nougat-userdebug-v14.3.2.82 via ATV Launcher Pro
Not Working:
  • Live TV (saying it needs permissions, but they are all enabled)
  • Netflix
  • Disney +
  • More to be discovered
Here are the steps to the best of my memory...this is not my work and I am passing on what I have learned from others who contributed before me in order to help the cause. This guide assumes you have already flashed a fresh image of Android 7.1.2 (Android 7 Nougat V14.3.2.82 ( 05-31-2019)) to your SD card.

That said, I would like to credit community members:
  • BungeBash
  • MilkyMooness
Note: This is an updated set of instructions
Needs (linked in original post):
* BungeBash went back and chmod 644 on all of these files unless specified otherwise.  It is unclear if this step is required.

Before moving forward with the steps below, please download your original build.prop and use Notepad++ to open and compare it to the one posted by BungeBash. All you need to do is replace/modify any TB values in the original with any that reference Nvidia Shield (see example). There maybe other values I can’t remember. The solution to this is using the difference plugin in Notepad++ while having both build.prop files open. You will easily spot what needs to change that way.

(E.G.)

# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=MXC89K
ro.build.display.id=rk3288-userdebug 6.0.1 MXC89K rk3288-13.11.0.4-20170511 test-keys
ro.build.version.incremental=rk3288-13.11.0.4-20170511
ro.build.version.sdk=23
ro.build.version.preview_sdk=0
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.all_codenames=REL
ro.build.version.release=6.0.1
ro.build.version.security_patch=2016-07-05
ro.build.version.base_os=
ro.build.date=Thu May 11 13:15:43 CST 2017
ro.build.date.utc=1494479743
ro.build.type=userdebug
ro.build.user=android
ro.build.host=Capricornus
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.build.flavor=rk3288-userdebug
ro.product.model=SHIELD Android TV
ro.product.brand=NVIDIA
ro.product.name=foster_e
ro.product.device=foster
ro.product.board=rk30sdk
# ro.product.cpu.abi and ro.product.cpu.abi2 are obsolete,
# use ro.product.cpu.abilist instead.
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist32=armeabi-v7a,armeabi
ro.product.cpu.abilist64=
ro.product.manufacturer=NVIDIA
ro.product.locale=en-US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=tegra

Let's begin then...

1. adb connect IP
2. adb root
3. adb connect IP
4. adb remount
4a. adb push build.prop /system/build.prop  (ensure you have a backup of yours)
5. adb push playstore.apk /system/priv-app/
6. adb push playservices.apk /system/priv-app/
7. adb push gsf.apk /system/priv-app/
8. adb install -r playservices.apk (from local machine even though we pushed already.  It helped not sure why)
9. unzip playservices.apk, move all files from lib/armeabi-v7a via push to /system/lib/.  Make sure you chmod 644
10. adb reboot
11. repeat 1-4
12. adb shell pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION
13. adb shell pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION
14. Allow all permissions to google services and play in your settings. DON'T Launch Yet!
15. push  "tv_core_hardware.xml" and "tv_features.xml" files to system/ect/permissions and chmod 644
16. push NoTouchAuthDelegate.apk /system/app/  and chmod 644

Steps to ROOT (# 17 only)

17. Use steps provided in post by MilkyMooness in https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/attac...hp?aid=408 to ROOT

Once ROOTED

18. repeat 1-4
19. sudo (or adb push) push LeanbackLauncher.apk /system/priv-app/LeanbackLauncher/LeanbackLauncher.apk and chmod 644.
20. Log into your google play
21. Log into your google play on your computers web browser.  Search Android TV and push basic android apps to your new device.  Google search, talkback youtube for android tv.  This is the only way I got search working and apps functional.

Here are some WIP screenshots:

Hopefully, this is just the beginning to more discoveries.
Regards,
CypherDR
[-] The following 1 user Likes CypherDR's post:
  • JPX87
Hello,
thanks for your help,
previously I had worked on the idea of making an android tv version for TK and was stopping at the same stages as you (live tv which does not work, and the android parameters which remain android and not android tv as well as the remaining android interface)
Being blocked I had to stop but if you need help I ve tried to help you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JPX87's post:
  • CypherDR
(12-29-2019, 01:13 PM)JPX87 Wrote: Hello,
thanks for your help,
previously I had worked on the idea of making an android tv version for TK and was stopping at the same stages as you (live tv which does not work, and the android parameters which remain android and not android tv as well as the remaining android interface)
Being blocked I had to stop but if you need help I ve tried to help you.

Hello JPX87,

Thanks for responding. I appreciate the offer to help and will continue working on this project to see how far I can get. I don't mind having a hybrid version of Android on TB (standard and TV) and hope to find a way to seamlessly toggle between the two (similar to Windows 10 desktop/tablet mode switching).

Did you know a custom version of TWRP exists for TB? I am not sure if this is known to the TB community, but I found no mention of it in the forums. I tried flashing it to my test build (4GB test SD card) for this project, but the TB would not boot past the "Tinkerboard" logo after flashing+reboot. Based on the date it was published, it may work on the Marshmallow version of Android for TB, but I haven't tested it yet. Not sure I care to go back to a previous OS release.

Where am I going with this? Simple, custom recoveries can successfully flash Gapp zips (I believe the term is called sideloading). If you can help figure out how to properly install/flash the custom TWRP recovery and confirm it works, we can try using that method to flash the TV Gapps. I suspect that may result in a more stable and consistent Android TV (what I call TinkerTV) experience. 

Click the following URL to get TWRP for TB: https://twrpbuilder.github.io/downloads/twrp/#630 .
Regards,
CypherDR
Hello CypherDR,

I previously tried to operate 3 recovery made for the rockchip rk3288 including the one that I had recommended for tinker board on Android 7.0, I tried again with Android 6.0.1 without result but what is weird c 'is that 2 recovery does not start while 1 remains blocked on the start logo.

After I have the Tinker Board S and not the Tinker Board but normally it's the same.
(12-30-2019, 04:42 PM)JPX87 Wrote: Hello CypherDR,

I previously tried to operate 3 recovery made for the rockchip rk3288 including the one that I had recommended for tinker board on Android 7.0, I tried again with Android 6.0.1 without result but what is weird c 'is that 2 recovery does not start while 1 remains blocked on the start logo.

After I have the Tinker Board S and not the Tinker Board but normally it's the same.

Hi JPX87,

Can you share any of the recovery.img files you referenced above? I will try flashing each using this method of accessing fastboot. Not sure if you have also viewed the resources found here, but feel free to poke around (plenty of valuable info).

I will let you know how I make out on the recovery method.

Thanks.
Regards,
CypherDR
Hello CypherDR,

I send you the recovery that I have recovered, just some detail:

TWRP_rk3288-211018.img:
recovey made for TB from twrp builder
TB remains on a black screen, the only LED to light up is red
link: https://twrpbuilder.github.io/downloads/twrp/#630

TWRP_rk3288-180918.img:
recovey made for NS PRO from twrp builder
link: https://twrpbuilder.github.io/downloads/twrp/#582

The third was a test because it is a recovery made for rk3328.

the google drive link or I import the 3 recovery: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

I await your return

thank you in advance
  • CypherDR
(12-31-2019, 10:18 AM)JPX87 Wrote: Hello CypherDR,

I send you the recovery that I have recovered, just some detail:

TWRP_rk3288-211018.img:
recovey made for TB from twrp builder
link: https://twrpbuilder.github.io/downloads/twrp/#630

TWRP_rk3288-180918.img:
recovey made for NS PRO from twrp builder
link: https://twrpbuilder.github.io/downloads/twrp/#582

The third was a test because it is a recovery made for rk3328.

the google drive link or I import the 3 recovery: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

I await your return

thank you in advance

Nothing to thank me for, I am very much learning as I go and enjoy the challenge. Having someone to help along the way is encouraging. I will post an update once I finish building a cable to power the TB from the 40 pin header instead of the USB port. I can't access fastboot to properly flash/push/put the recovery image in the correct partition until I can move past this point. Will post an update to the thread.

In case there are no further updates today...will catch up next year (tomorrow)  Smile .

Thanks.
Regards,
CypherDR
[-] The following 1 user Likes CypherDR's post:
  • JPX87
Hello CypherDR,

sorry for not responding earlier

I just found a tutorial for Convert Shield Tablet into a dedicated Android TV

The shield tablet is under android 7.0 us on android 7.1.2 but i think it can work.

thank you in advance
  • CypherDR
(01-26-2020, 07:58 PM)JPX87 Wrote: Hello CypherDR,

sorry for not responding earlier

I just found a tutorial for Convert Shield Tablet into a dedicated Android TV

The shield tablet is under android 7.0 us on android 7.1.2 but i think it can work.

thank you in advance

Hi JPX87,

Nothing to apologize for. We are all busy and may go silent from time to time.

I have made significant progress on making the Tinker Board a dedicated Android TV. I am not ready to share all I know yet, as I am not done working on this project. I will share two more screenshots showing just how far I have gotten. If all goes well, I will be posting a link to my image for all TB (not sure it will work on Tinker Board S). In short:
  • Live Channels
  • TV Settings
  • Backdrop
  • Chromecast
are working Big Grin . Enjoy screenshots. If you are willing to help test and improve the release, I will reach out via PM to coordinate with you once I am ready.

Let me know how you make out on the tutorial you mentioned. Thanks for your willingness to help.

Screens below:

Regards,
CypherDR
Hello CypherDR,

I tell you that you are well ahead.

I think I sent you the link but I saw it myself.

Here is the link :
https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-...67589/amp/

thank you and congratulations again