This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RetroPie on the Tinker Board
For Armbian, there's a file into the /boot IIRC, that allows to set the connection mode, wired or wireless.
From there you might know the IP. If wireless you should look at the router log to see what's the latest given lease, which should be the TB connection.
Other installations, may be possible to connect via SSH, if the client offers a DHCP server to link the TB. Same method to discover the given IP.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(09-29-2018, 01:38 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: For Armbian, there's a file into the /boot IIRC, that allows to set the connection mode, wired or wireless.
From there you might know the IP. If wireless you should look at the router log to see what's the latest given lease, which should be the TB connection.
Other installations, may be possible to connect via SSH, if the client offers a DHCP server to link the TB. Same method to discover the given IP.

Where can I find the latest version of RetroPie to download? Dropbox says there is an problem with the Armbian one linked in Crash's post so that won't download.
Doesn't this suffice ?
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
Having issues with my ROTT build... Installed 1.0.3s, everything was set up fine. Was running fine... So I decided to update everything. BIG MISTAKE. :\ It flashed one of the more recent kernels and now the screen flickers in and out (Like the one on 1.0.4 using Armbian 5.59 and kernel 4.4.135). Anyone see this issue? Anyone have suggestions to fix it? Don't wanna have to reflash and not update...

Thanks
(09-29-2018, 09:01 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: Doesn't this suffice ?

I'm fairly certain that I'm getting something wrong.

I have 4 SD cards; 1x SanDisk 8 GB, 2x Samsung EVO plus 64 GB and 1x Samsung EVO+ 128 GB.

All cards can install Tinker OS. None can get the images posted by Crash / ROTT links or any Armbian image from their website, the screen has no signal and no new IP's are given out by the router.

The Tinker S is cabled to my router and uses a HDMI cable to a Waveshare 10 inch touchscreen. 

Under Tinker OS, I can't get RetroPie to install properly. The installer runs but I can't I stall any of the emulators (Emulation station, etc)

Are there any other guides or images about I can try?
Question 
(07-13-2018, 01:47 PM)Crash Wrote: Tinker Board (s) RetroPie SD Card/emmc install DIY

Tank your build and want to re-flash the eMMc?

Refer to your manual and get the Tinker 2.0.7 os from Asus.
Write the image to an sd card, switch the jumper to eMMc recovery. Boot device by plugging it into the pc. This should reset your eMMc and you can write to it again.
I then used a partition tool to repartition and formatted to fat32. Then I unplugged it and removed the sd card. Plugged it back in to my pc and rewrote the eMMc with win32diskimager. Refer to other online sources from Asus on this subject I only did it once.

—————————————————
If I get more time I will make a few more posts about splash screens scripts and more.

Thanks for the great instructions. I tried an install but not being a strong linux user, I struggle to understand the intricacies of the installation. I managed to flash the eMMC and get the image 5.50 (Stretch) and ran the retropie install shell script, but the install fails as it can't cope with the video drivers and does not build emulationstation which is a bit of a downer. I noticed that the image nightly builds have moved on since 5.50 to 5.59, so I might give that a go and report back. I notice that 5.50 is Stretch and others that have tried installing that image had troubles with RetroPie not supporting that functionality. Would it be better to revert to Bionic instead? Smile

P.S. I have added a screenshot of my build with xcfe desktop running the shell script.

Cheers
ZP

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

@ZeroPhil

For some reason I couldn't install the image of ROTT, page 18 I think. I flashed it and nothing happened. No video output at all through HDMI. I did flash ROT 0.6.5 and it installed perfectly and was fast. I just don't like not having root password so I tried to setup up myself.

Installing RetroPie is a royal pain. I just spent 2 days trying to get it to install on the Emar-Systems Lubuntu 18 image. Today I was successful. I got it to load, but it runs slow, and I get video errors.

What I did first was went to EmulationStation's website and pre-installed all the package dependencies. I then went to the SDL2 website and installed it's package dependencies, then downloaded the source files. I compiled/configured SDL2 with these options ./configure --disable-video-rpi --enable-video-kmsdrm, then installed it without any error. I then went into /Retro-Pie-Setup/scriptmodules and edited helpers.sh. There's a line in there to enable or disable using Retropie's SDL2. I changed the line local own_sdl2=1 to local own_sdl2=0. Somewhere there's a line to change whether Retropie uses opengl or opengls but I couldn't find it.

I installed glmark2 and tested the SDL2 install in X11 and in the console. Worked fine, although I get weird errors, but I'm sure that's because files aren't linked properly. I then was able to run the base install without errors. Everything compiled except the Afterburn and mupen64 packages.

At console I ran emulationstation and it fired right up. I added a rom and it showed up.
But the performance is horrible thus far. I have no idea how to configure this. I've been sifting through hundreds of webpages looking for answers. LOL.

Hope this helps. SDL2 was my biggest issue...and probably still is.
Hi all,

I'm trying to follow Crash's instructions for the build on page 19 and I got to the retropie install screen. but thats where the progess stops. 

I am trying to install ppsspp, and I keep getting the error "ppsspp patch /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules/emulators/ppsspp/02_tinker_options.diff failed to apply"

"Please see /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/logs/rps-2018-10-14_200717.log.gz for more information regarding the errors"

How do i locate that log file so I can figure out why ppsspp didnt install

I would just work around it but I don't want to not have enough space on the eMMC for ppsspp to compile. 

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
I've been having a heck of a time with this board.  I've been trying to build a small cabinet for my autistic daughter.  I installed ROTT 0.6.5 and it works.  The only issue I had was the N64 and lr-ppsspp ran really slow.  I was advised to at least install verion 1.0.3 because it was more stable and fixed a lot issues.  I flashed 1.0.3 and of course there's no video from the 7" rasberry pie lcd touch screen.  I plug the the HDMI into the TV and the video works.  Is there a way to get Armbian to recognize a touch screen LCD?  

I searched Google and there were a few posts about some Arbian Orange Pi and installing drivers, but that doesn't apply.  I went through the trouble shooting by adding and removing lines in the /boot/config.txt.  Nothing.  Is it safe to assume that the Kernel is lacking drivers?  This has been so frustrating.
(10-18-2018, 08:11 AM)kngdmond Wrote: I've been having a heck of a time with this board.  I've been trying to build a small cabinet for my autistic daughter.  I installed ROTT 0.6.5 and it works.  The only issue I had was the N64 and lr-ppsspp ran really slow.  I was advised to at least install verion 1.0.3 because it was more stable and fixed a lot issues.  I flashed 1.0.3 and of course there's no video from the 7" rasberry pie lcd touch screen.  I plug the the HDMI into the TV and the video works.  Is there a way to get Armbian to recognize a touch screen LCD?  

I searched Google and there were a few posts about some Arbian Orange Pi and installing drivers, but that doesn't apply.  I went through the trouble shooting by adding and removing lines in the /boot/config.txt.  Nothing.  Is it safe to assume that the Kernel is lacking drivers?  This has been so frustrating.

Yes it is frustrating, it’s been a couple of years now and there is still no support from ASUS really. The community has picked up the slack. It took us a year and a half to get a half way decent retropie build. And it is still just so-so.  Maybe a different screen or board might be better than the headache.  I truly wish I could be more help.
Swing by the: RotT FaceBook Group and join for even more help, trick, and tips.

Swing by My YouTube Channel if you get a chance.