This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Getting started
Hello guys!

I bought one of these high-end-super-computers, but it wont even start. I read many things and here is what I did:

- tried many power supplys (the last one works and the red light is on the whole time)
- tried different cables
- 3 different SD-Cards (64, 32 and a complete new 8 GB Kingston / Samsung; different types of quality)
- 4 different OS types with 3 different types of software to install on card (win32diskimage, Etcher and Rufus)

I put the SD-Card into the Rasp...., erm .... Tinker Board and connected everything. But the HDMI output is blank. There is nothing. What could be wrong now after all these tests wrote above?!

Edit: Etcher told me these img (why img and not iso????) is NOT bootable. Shouldnt it be bootable? Its the official OS form the Asus homepage.

Edit 2: Ok, now it works. My pocket beamer works great since years, but I nearly never used its HDMI in port. Dont know why, but it seems to be broken or doesnt support the cable / tinker board?!?!?!
(03-16-2018, 05:47 PM)Newbee Wrote: Hello guys!

I bought one of these high-end-super-computers, but it wont even start. I read many things and here is what I did:

- tried many power supplys (the last one works and the red light is on the whole time)
- tried different cables
- 3 different SD-Cards (64, 32 and a complete new 8 GB Kingston / Samsung; different types of quality)
- 4 different OS types with 3 different types of software to install on card (win32diskimage, Etcher and Rufus)

I put the SD-Card into the Rasp...., erm .... Tinker Board and connected everything. But the HDMI output is blank. There is nothing. What could be wrong now after all these tests wrote above?!

Edit: Etcher told me these img (why img and not iso????) is NOT bootable. Shouldnt it be bootable? Its the official OS form the Asus homepage.

Edit 2: Ok, now it works. My pocket beamer works great since years, but I nearly never used its HDMI in port. Dont know why, but it seems to be broken or doesnt support the cable / tinker board?!?!?!

You can rename the img to iso.
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-...-img-files
(02-20-2018, 05:07 PM)Linker Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 05:37 AM)vr00n Wrote: Trying to dd the TinkerOS_Debian.img using MAC OS X

Tried as follows
1. Unmounting
2a. sudo dd bs=8192 if=TinkerOS_Debian.img of=/dev/disk2
AND
2b  sudo dd bs=1m if=TinkerOS_Debian.img of=/dev/disk2 (separately)
3. Eject SDCard

Then I load SDcard into TinkerBoard - board does not boot - I see a mouse pointer after 30 secs and the screen simply refreshes and the board appears to reboot.

Please help

/\ \/

For those who try to use dd first time I will write down a little manual:

When you plug in the SD Card your OS will most likely mount it immediately for use.
To flash it you will need to unmount it with this commands:
(main idea: you can't repair/configure an engine while it is running, therefore you need to turn it off)

umount /dev/mmcblk0p1        (mmcblk0 is most likely your sdcard, can be different though)
umount /dev/mmcblk0p2        (mmcblk0p1 is partition1, p2 is partition2 umount both)

important: write umount NOT unmount (happenend to me)

Next is the flashing:

sudo dd bs=32M if=yourTinkerOS.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 && sync

Now you will have to wait for a while. Depending on the size of the img file it can be seconds up to 9 minutes(16GB). No there is no status bar on default, be patient.

If it is done it looks like this:
50 + 1 records in
50 + 1 records out
1702690816 bytes (1,7GB) copied,   96465s  17,7 MB/s

MOST IMPORTANT: if you are not careful you can ruin your computer Software with this command.
dd is nicknamed disc destroyer for a reason!!
also important: you have to open the terminal inside the folder in which the img is.
Otherwise you need to specify the whole path to it like: if=/home/yourFolder/yourTinkerOS.img

If you are successfull you should use a tool like gparted to resize the SD Card to its full size.
Otherwise your memory device has the size of the image that you have burned to it.
Example: if you have a 16 GB sd card and you flash it with a 1 GB .img File the size of the sd card
will be 1GB if you do not resize it. Everytime you want to store new files on it,
it may soon error like "not enough space left", which is obviously wrong.

bs=32M means blocksize 32MB which defines how fast it will be written(higher blocksize higher speed).
I didn't do experiments with this, I personally stick to 32M.

If I did forget something important, just comment.

I have downloaded this image twice and using the Gnome-disks tool I can write and boot it just fine.  The issue is when I resize it with gparted,  It simply will not boot after that.  I've resized hundreds of hd's ssd's and cards in exactly the same way without issues over the years.    What am I missing guys?