This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pi Top v2 Support thread
Hi everyone

I recently got the board in hopes of making it work with Pitop hardware and basically create a somewhat powerful laptop instead of using RPI which seems really slow in that configuration.

So far I've encountered a lot of problems and will hopefully solve them eventually but for now here are the concerns.

if you have any suggestions or answers please post them below.

Problem 1: Fit
Turns out, Tinkerboard is a tiny bit wider than RPI so when fitting the board into the RPI slot for the PiTop v2 it actually doesn't quite reach and I'm left with two options: cutting something out physically or buying an extension 40 pin cable to run in across (too bulky though)

Problem 2: Software
I still haven't tried running PiTop OS on the board, but my guess is that it won't work. So the alternative is to try to install all of the pitop dependencies on the TinkerOS, which so far proved futile. I'm hoping someone knowledgeable enough will be able to rewrite the pitop code to make pitop hub, speaker and other modules work on TinkerOS

Problem 3: Heat
So assuming I'm able to fit the board into the pitop chassis at some point, I'll have to take off the heat sink from the Tinkerboard and the pitop heat sink doesn't attach to the same part as the CPU is in a different spot - this part is apparently patented too, so it's unlikely that I'll find an easy work around this, but I think finding an alternative way to connect to the pins in pitop would be a work around as long as I find the right cable.

I'm sure there will be more, but for now these are the 3 concerns I had

If you don't have or have never seen what pitop hardware looks like, I did a brief review of it here
Hey Man, I wish you luck on this. I think the Pi-Top Ceed might work with it, but please keep me updated on your findings if you go with this.
Re: the use of  tinker board with Pi-top V2 and Pi-top CEED. I purchased both units from RS Components local office recently.  

I actually tried your idea.

There be some good news, and some bad news.

The good news.

Now to correctly install a Raspberry Pi to the Pi-Top V2. I found it necessary to install the bridge to the small connector on the power board first.  Then connect to the GPIO pins. The manual does not tell you this, unfortunately.

Now for the bad news.

Whilst the two boards are identical in size including the mounting holes. There will be a number of issues. All of which are apparent when the two SBC's are compared visually side by side.

The principal one is the actual height of the two cpu's. The RockChip BGA unit on "Tinkerboard"  has metal heat riser cover and is actually both larger and taller in dimensions relative to the smaller quad core "Broadcom" BGA. The placement of the CPU is not in the same position on the ASUS board either.

The Pi-top bridge connector  has white slightly elastic heat conductive pad between the heat sink and the "broadcom" cpu. The bridge is also aligned to the position of the cpu as is soldered to the Raspberry Pi.  

Whilst both Pi-Top screens use the HDMI connector. Other screen function use additional resources provided by the GPIO pins.

Both the Pi-Top Laptop and the Pi-Top CEED are designed strictly for the Raspberry Pi Model2/3 SBC's. The Polaris OS has some slight custom mod tweaks on the standard Raspbian.

Sadly, the "Tinkerboard" is a not a direct dimensional drop in replacement.

For Pi-Top CEED to be used with the "Tinkerboard". I presume to assume, the initial boot steps requires  additional adjustment steps or software to be added. Or, very careful tweaking to function with this all in one monitor on the Pi-Top CEED.

Fun fact . The first boot using Tinker  OS 2.04, resulted in an initial  black unresponsive screen screen on a Pi-Top CEED. There is a possibility another different OS may be able to detect the required GPIO control pins directly. Smile

Both units do supply a separate expansion/protoboard to access all forty of the Raspberry PI GPIO PINS. Less those few used by the display monitor.

Not all things are equal. Such is life.
I do have a pitop-ceed here, but it has a pi3 sitting inside !
...not tried a tinkerboard in it yet
https://pi-top.com/products

Pi-top have some code on github :
https://github.com/pi-top
I don’t have it 100% but TinkerOS works just like Raspbian in the CEED and V2 so I suspect that just like Raspbian it should be easy to get the other stuff working by porting the Python code (have not tried yet).

The bridge in the V2 does not line up quite right because the Rockchip is in a slightly different place than the Broadcom used in the Pi. I’d be concerned with heat dissipation in the V2 since it is not squared up in the Rockchip’s heat spreader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uevCpKAE3ZM
Hey Guys I'm a novice at all of this still but I too bought a pitop v2 with the intent of making it work with my tinkerboard and the small community backing has made this project quite a pain. I hope this thread is still active bc i could really use a hand here. Im running tinker os & im trying to install the battery widget from the pitop os but the biggest difficulty so far with that is that i have no idea how.
the second thing I'm trying to do is install the closest version of a full rolling kali on the board with gnome desktop.
Can the tinkerboard even handle gnome?
Would Kali Light work better?
 I would appreciate any answer & if i get none I'll start a new thread for this topic & will include the link for people attempting the same things.
I'd appreciate a plain English writing. There's no advantages to write an encrypted SMS style.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin