Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CPU temperature
(01-14-2018, 06:27 PM)waldmattis Wrote: Good evening,
I tried several heat sinks and fans.
The by far best solution that I found was this fan:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00NEMGCIA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is nearly unhearable!
And the cooling results are by far better than with a heat sink.

It fits exactly between 2 slots in the case cover and is fitted with rubber pins instead of screws.
So no vibration is transferred to the case.

And this for just 12,- €

Regards
Karl

Sounds good. Thanks Karl. I'll see how my fan sounds, when it arrives.
Meanwhile, apologies to ASUS. The heatsink was in the box all the time, under the cardboard packaging. Blush
The fan in my Aukru Raspberry Pi 3 Fan Case (£6.99) seems very quiet to me. I can just hear it with everything else turned off in the room but in normal use, I don't hear it. 
I had to remove the ASUS heatsink as there was no clearance between it and the fan. 
I tried running the ATB, in the case, with no heatsink, which seemed OK, and also with the supplied RPi heatsink (shown). I could get the CPU temperature up above 60 deg (ambient 23 deg C) if I pushed it hard, with or without the heatsink. The temperature seemed to recover quicker with the heatsink but this is a subjective judgement as I didn't carry out any actual measurements. 

The Aukru is a good choice for the ATB, IMO. Note: The ATB is a tight fit in the case and requires a little jiggling to get the HDMI and power sockets to fit into the case.

[Image: 18j-tinker9.jpg]
(01-18-2018, 06:48 PM)gregb49 Wrote: The fan in my Aukru Raspberry Pi 3 Fan Case (£6.99) seems very quiet to me. I can just hear it with everything else turned off in the room but in normal use, I don't hear it. 
I had to remove the ASUS heatsink as there was no clearance between it and the fan. 
I tried running the ATB, in the case, with no heatsink, which seemed OK, and also with the supplied RPi heatsink (shown). I could get the CPU temperature up above 60 deg (ambient 23 deg C) if I pushed it hard, with or without the heatsink. The temperature seemed to recover quicker with the heatsink but this is a subjective judgement as I didn't carry out any actual measurements. 

The Aukru is a good choice for the ATB, IMO. Note: The ATB is a tight fit in the case and requires a little jiggling to get the HDMI and power sockets to fit into the case.

[Image: 18j-tinker9.jpg]

I notice you have the fan plugged in the 5v pin.
You can separate the red plug and plug in the red wire to the yellow pin or pin 1.
The fan will run at 3.4 volts slowing the fan down with less noise and extending the life of the fan.
Use black electrical tape on the red wire to insulate it.
I was compiling code and getting 75 degrees CPU. The nearest metal I had to help add to the heatsink was 4 empty bullet cases.  I placed 4x fired .308 cases and the temp dropped to 69 degrees. They are a brass alloy longer than 50mm and have heated up to around 45-50 degrees when measured externally.

[Image: tinker%20with%20brass.jpg]
The best case I've found is http://www.performance-pcs.com/akasa-pi-aluminum-case-designed-for-raspberry-pi-and-asus-tinker-board.html#Features it's a self cooled solution, the case itself is the heat sink. I need a fan-less solution because the Tinker Board runs 24/7 and a fan isn't going to do for several reasons. Under full load it hits about 135 F which is vastly cooler then with the factory heat sink. I did need to replace the supplied thermal pad with a higher quality one but it was certainly worth it as the difference was 10+ degrees F. In my opinion this case is well worth the money and makes for a nice silent machine.
(01-28-2018, 05:13 PM)n8xyn Wrote: The best case I've found is http://www.performance-pcs.com/akasa-pi-aluminum-case-designed-for-raspberry-pi-and-asus-tinker-board.html#Features it's a self cooled solution, the case itself is the heat sink.

Sounds good, thanks. Also available from Scan Computers. I'd be interested to hear how the CPU is connected to the case.

(01-19-2018, 03:21 AM)Jay Smith Wrote: I notice you have the fan plugged in the 5v pin. You can separate the red plug and plug in the red wire to the yellow pin or pin 1. The fan will run at 3.4 volts slowing the fan down with less noise and extending the life of the fan. Use black electrical tape on the red wire to insulate it.

Jay, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that.
(01-28-2018, 08:47 PM)gregb49 Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 05:13 PM)n8xyn Wrote: The best case I've found is http://www.performance-pcs.com/akasa-pi-aluminum-case-designed-for-raspberry-pi-and-asus-tinker-board.html#Features it's a self cooled solution, the case itself is the heat sink.

Sounds good, thanks. Also available from Scan Computers. I'd be interested to hear how the CPU is connected to the case.

(01-19-2018, 03:21 AM)Jay Smith Wrote: I notice you have the fan plugged in the 5v pin. You can separate the red plug and plug in the red wire to the yellow pin or pin 1. The fan will run at 3.4 volts slowing the fan down with less noise and extending the life of the fan. Use black electrical tape on the red wire to insulate it.

Jay, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that.

I forgot.  The black wire should be plugged into pin 14.  It should turn off the fan when shutdown is activated.