This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB 2.0 port on tinkerboard enough power for HDD ?
Morning all 

New member here and a total noob.

I would like to know if the usb 2.0 Port on the tinker board and also the new s model has enough power to be able to run a external HDD or a SATA hdd via usb to SATA 3 cable or using a bridge board ?

I would like to have a bigger storage something like 1TB or 2TB hdd so don’t really want to be using a micro sd card.

i don’t really want to be having a separate power input for the HDD, I would like everything to be powered by a single psu / power unit.

If this is not possible what alternatives do I have in order to achieve what I would like to do ?
(i.e) would it be possible to connect the power pins on the HDD to either the GPIO pins if that is possible ?

I hope someone can help 

Thanks
Anyone ???
(05-13-2018, 07:32 PM)Atarioldskool Wrote: Anyone ???

I used a toshiba 1.5tb from walmart with only one usb port.
Only buy the little laptop harddrive. The bigger ones require a power unit.
I bought a Seagate 4tb usb drive from costco and it didn't work with the TB. I think too big. To many platters to turn.
I may have a bad seagate usb drive so I am taking it back. I'll get the slim usb.
I would think the smaller/thinner 2tb seagate slim would work.

Supported Devices

In general, every device supported by Linux can be used with the tinker board (exceptions are detailed below). Linux offers a comprehensive driver database that supports legacy hardware for most operating systems. TinkerOS and it's Debian kernel have a large number of inbox drivers for common peripherals & devices.

If you have a device and wish to use it with a tinker board, then plug it in. Chances are that it will be compatible. If you're running a graphical interface (such as an LXDE desktop environment in the OS), then it's likely that an icon or other message will pop up to announce the new device.

Port Power Limits

The device advertises its own power requirements to the USB host when it is first connected. In theory, the actual power consumed by the device should not exceed stated specification.
It should be noted that hot-swapping high-powered devices into the tinker board's USB ports may result in a brownout, which may cause the tinker board to reset.
I'm running a 500GB WD Passport USB 2.0 2.5"" HDD off a TB USB port with no problems.
Also tried a Samsung T1 512GB USB SSD and this is also fine.
(05-13-2018, 10:19 AM)Atarioldskool Wrote: I would like to know if the usb 2.0 Port on the tinker board and also the new s model has enough power to be able to run a external HDD or a SATA hdd via usb to SATA 3 cable or using a bridge board ?
As I said at  pid3986  I'm using a NorthPada 3Amp power supply, that I bought for my Rasp Pi, on Amazon, and it is working very well. The supply also has a very convenient in-line switch. I am also using a WD 2TB "My Passport Ultra" 2.5" external drive, powered directly through the Tinker's USB port, with no apparent power problems. This has been running almost continually since January. I do recommend a good power supply though, as it seems some have had trouble with the voltage drop in many of the poor micro USB cables used to connect to standard USB power supplies.
(05-16-2018, 05:30 PM)gregb49 Wrote:
(05-13-2018, 10:19 AM)Atarioldskool Wrote: I would like to know if the usb 2.0 Port on the tinker board and also the new s model has enough power to be able to run a external HDD or a SATA hdd via usb to SATA 3 cable or using a bridge board ?
As I said at  pid3986  I'm using a NorthPada 3Amp power supply, that I bought for my Rasp Pi, on Amazon, and it is working very well. The supply also has a very convenient in-line switch. I am also using a WD 2TB "My Passport Ultra" 2.5" external drive, powered directly through the Tinker's USB port, with no apparent power problems. This has been running almost continually since January. I do recommend a good power supply though, as it seems some have had trouble with the voltage drop in many of the poor micro USB cables used to connect to standard USB power supplies.

Seagate 2TB/4TB USB doesn't work with the TBoard.
(05-17-2018, 05:18 AM)Jay Smith Wrote: Seagate 2TB/4TB USB doesn't work with the TBoard.

I think that all depend on what power source do you have.
Do you use 5v 3a?
(05-17-2018, 07:07 AM)Craz_tyle Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 05:18 AM)Jay Smith Wrote: Seagate 2TB/4TB USB doesn't work with the TBoard.

I think that all depend on what power source do you have.
Do you use 5v 3a?

Yes.  Maybe it's cable is to long.
I'll try a different one.

It did work on another power unit. My main TB has 3 usb devices plugged in and a network cable. Not enough amps for another usb.
I have a usb keyboard. I boot up on a usb and have another usb for backup.
Seagate 2 TB usb did work.

You think a 4 or 5 amp power unit would work and not cause damage to the TB?