This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PROCEDURE TO FLASH eMMC
Maybe there could at least be some inventorization of the images that have the required UMS part included?
The u-boot on the EMMC is responsible to handle such feature. I think that all installation require such u-boot feature. But on the SD card is not used, when is away from the TBS. Even thought is the same u-boot. The host computer or a reader will identify the SD card, without to run anything from that.

For better understanding, the u-boot on eMMC will try always to boot, but it will find the answer that is plugged to a USB port and then start to serve the internal memory as a reader does.

Beware that if  there is anything connected to the USB, on TBS, it may get spoiled because of power glitches and any other attempt to run the system, before to surrender to serve as reader. I blown my WiFi dongle, because I oversight to remove it.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(09-23-2018, 12:44 PM)mas9l4ever Wrote: I "bicked" eMMC of my TBS in the first day of use, today I managed to boot TBS from eMMC for the first time. Here is what I did:

0. Boot your TBS using SD card, use terminal or SSH to input following commands.

1. Download TinkerOS distribution and unzip: 
Code:
wget [link***]
unzip 20180622-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.7.img.zip

2. Delete old partitions from eMMC(mmcblk1 in my case):
Code:
sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk1
d
w

3. Reboot TBS.

4. Unpack image file to the cleaned partition:
Code:
sudo dd if=20180622-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.7.img of=/dev/mmcblc1 status=progress && sync

After this you should be able to boot your TBS form eMMC, do not forget to change jumper to the parking position. Result is not optimal through - root partition on eMMC created by dd tool is only 3GB, rest left not used, I do not know why it happened, and I do not know how to change partition size in fdisk tool, so I used gparted tool to increase root partition on eMMC to use all available space.

I'm complete noob to linux & terminal, so do not blame my solution for the incompetence, on the other hand optimization tips are appreciated.

***P.S. I can not post links, so you have to find workable link for Tinker OS distribution by yourself, I used archive provided on this website wiki section.

Holy crap this actually worked. I've searched dozens of tutorials and nothing, not even the tinker boards own wiki was helpful. I think the key was writing that table using the fdisk tool. The 'd', '1' and '2' didn't do anything in my case but the 'w' did something and i was finally able to boot from emmc after finishing the rest of your instructions. 

quick question though. When you say the root partition was only 3GB, do you mean your file browser said "Free space: 3GB" or something like that? because mine is saying i have 11.6GB (14.3 total) and I didn't have to expand anything. the difference (14.3 - 11.6 = 3) is about 3GB. Is that what you meant? Being a noob, should I still need to expand the partition or is it already expanded?
There's my write up on the previous page, it might help you a bit.
The OS is indeed 3 Gb, but no space after left as the first installation. The first time you'll startup the TB, it will take a bit longer, because it will expand the root partition to the maximum.
Hi All,

I tested the Tinker Board S with Android on EMMC, it was sooo easy with this SOP, thanks to Rjp663. and I must say that the performance of TBS is amazing. I already own a RPI 2, 3, Zero W, TinkerBoard and TinkerBoard S. Congr. to Asus for creating a great single board.

I had an issue, on Android, I could install games, Youtube etc.. on web browser, Youtube mouse and keyboard work perfect. but on the games, mouse doesnt work. any way to make it work?
I think you could find a better answer or this one.
Anyway your question's answer is related how the games handle the hardware, which might be direct rather than through the driver.