This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't burn image eMMc
(10-03-2018, 01:25 AM)jamess Wrote: Hi, I just modified the SOP, please take a loot at if there are something unclear

Thanks Jamess, much better !
(10-03-2018, 07:50 PM)franckm Wrote: Hi, I just modified the SOP

What is that?
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(10-04-2018, 05:54 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 07:50 PM)franckm Wrote: Hi, I just modified the SOP

What is that?
Wiki page
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index....om_SD_card
Not OP, but just wanted to post my own experience with the topic. I ended up downloading and flashing the eMMc (via Etcher) an old OS (ASUS's page directed me to that option) that was not compatible with the eMMc, so it wouldn't boot. I had a really hard time reflashing. I was able to move the jumper to the MaskROM location (tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Setup#UMS_from_SD_card) and flash a micro SD card with a newer OS to get it to boot. I tried reflashing the eMMC multiple times with no success as the only way I could get it to boot was via the SD card in MaskROM mode. Finally I booted via SD card, unzipped the OS download (extracted the .iso file), loaded it onto a USB flash drive and used. `sudo dd if=/path/to/tinkeros.img of=/mmcblk1 status=progress && sync` I was finally able to boot via eMMC with the jumper in the parking mode. Thanks all, and hopefully if someone else is in the same boat they can get it working.
[-] The following 1 user Likes xxj61V0ra2's post:
  • Skaven
I recommend to save the u-boot, once you (all) got the eMMC working. Better if it is placed into a SD card.
  • check where the first partition starts
    Code:
    $ sudo fdisk -l unpacked.img     ## OS preferred to install
    The number of first starting sector of the first partition should be the limit to stop copying.
  • if less than 4 Mb, then recalculate how many blocks to put on the count= statement. If it takes the first 4 Mbytes from the image, then do
    Code:
    dd if=unpacked.img of=my_u-boot.img bs=512 seek=64 count=8128
  • write the unpacked.img to SD card. Mount the SD card and write the my_u-boot.img to the /home/$user directory. (The $user name may vary according which OS you want to use)

• boot the SD card with MASKROM enabled

• copy the my_u-boot.img to eMMC.
    Code:
    $ sudo dd if=my_u-boot.img of=/dev/mmcblkY bs=512 seek=64
For Armbian there is provided the u-boot image somewhere on the bundled image. But they are two, so AFAIK I'd copy the installed one.
Hi xxj61V0ra2

What image version did you download and use?
is from this product page?
https://www.asus.com/Single-Board-Comput...r-Board-S/

Thanks.
Why was this so hard?

Etcher the current tinkeros to SD. Maskrom mode the board and boot.

fdisk -l
Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 14.7 GiB, 15758000128 bytes, 30777344 sectors
(Divide that 30777344 sectors by 2 to get 15388672)

sudo dd if=20180622-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.7.img of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1K count=15388672 conv=notrunc,noerror,sync

put the jumper back in the parking position and power it up.

Done.
If using to recover the u-boot only there are few advantages:
  1. It's quick, just to write 460 Kb in less the a second. Writing the whole TinkerOS is about 3 minutes or more.
  2. It might be necessary, because of caring to reuse the previous partitions content
  3. It's portable, since u-boot might work with a different installation( TinkerOS and DietPi, can do it, Armbian not sure). It could be better when the dtf will be mainlined and become unique.
Therefore there should be the u-boot alone available to be written back, and perhaps to modify the current guide in such order.
Hi all,

I am having the same problem as a topicstarter.
I have a Board S, jumper is in parking mode, when I connecting the board to PC with a cable, I see no new drives at all. Earlier I was able to write the image to the board - can it be done only once, or am I doing something wrong?

If I want to rewrite board from scratch, how can I do it?

What I did:
1) I can boot in Maskrom mode from SD, then I can see MMC drive:
sudo lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk0 179:0 0 119.3G 0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 64M 0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2 0 119.2G 0 part /
mmcblk1 179:16 0 14.7G 0 disk
├─mmcblk1p1 179:17 0 64M 0 part
└─mmcblk1p2 179:18 0 14.6G 0 part

2) I copied the 20180622-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.7.img to the board, using scp (or WinSCP, if using Windows).

3) On the Tinkerboard I run dd to save an image to the MMC:
sudo dd if=/home/linaro/20180622-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.7.img of=/mmcblk1
I've got a message that data was saved:
3118711296 bytes (3.1 GB, 2.9 GiB) copied, 164.04 s, 19.0 MB/s
6113072+0 records in
6113072+0 records out
3129892864 bytes (3.1 GB, 2.9 GiB) copied, 164.934 s, 19.0 MB/s

4) I remove the jumper and make a reboot.
It starts but I see the old image, not new linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.7.img that I wrote.

Edit: Solved, it was a error in command, should be:
sudo dd if=/home/linaro/20180622-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.7.img of=/dev/mmcblk1
(10-22-2018, 07:53 AM)DVE Wrote: Hi all,

I am having the same problem as a topicstarter.
I have a Board S, jumper is in parking mode, when I connecting the board to PC with a cable, I see no new drives at all. Earlier I was able to write the image to the board - can it be done only once, or am I doing something wrong?

If I want to rewrite board from scratch, how can I do it?

Tnx

Hi DVE,

That would depends on what image inside your Tinker Board S' eMMC.
Usually, the newer TinkerOS & Armbian, etc. All should support the UMS function (mount as a drive on PC though USB).

Otherwise, you can take reference here.
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index...._and_Flash

Or, if currently your Tinker Board S still can boot in OS (Linux).
You can just dd part of new image to replace U-Boot and enable UMS function.

e.g. Spite U-Boot part from image and dd to eMMC.
Code:
sudo dd if=20180622-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.7.img of=/dev/mmcblk1 skip=64 seek=64 bs=512 count=8128
// skip=N skip N ibs-sized blocks at start of input
// seek=N skip N obs-sized blocks at start of output