This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Release] TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.7
Excuse this question as my 1st post but is there no root PW. I understand I can make the user an administrator and sudo but sometime I like to become a su which requires the root PW.

I bought this TB about a year ago and finally open the box yesterday. I am surprised how fun this little computer can be.

Thank,
framer
vintage computer hobbyist
(09-11-2018, 02:57 AM)framer Wrote: but is there no root PW.
You may add one
Code:
$ sudo su
# passwd
But this breaks a bit with the debian philosophy and will cause problems once you put a password to the administrator.
I used to settle with several alias (e.g sagi='sudo apt-get install')
Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with the debian philosophy, I been using RH and fedora for last 12 years.

Just a little learning curve to get over.

framer
Halo!

My last TOS was V2.0.3 and stopped there when the lingering problem of "HDMI Resolution Hunting" hasn't been resolved on that version (started from V1.9)

Just want to ask (or confirm) if a fix has been issued in this release to address that problem, before I deploy again.
(09-11-2018, 02:57 AM)framer Wrote: Excuse this question as my 1st post but is there no root PW.   I understand I can make the user an administrator and sudo but sometime I like to become a su which requires the root PW.

You can easily become root user w/o password by running
Code:
linaro@tinkerboard:~$ sudo su -
root@tinkerboard:~# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
Will there be an update to the linux version? There are many issues in 2.07. In the previous version sync problems with certain displays made it hard to work with the tinker board. In this version it is impossible to get firefox or chromium to start. Also some applications are effected. I'm not an expert in kernel and display programming and i do not want to downgrade. It's a few month ago since 2.07 was released.
I ahve trouble starting CAN bus with TinkerOS,
have added "intf:dtoverlay=/mcp2515-can0" to hw_intf.conf ,
/sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0 doesn't have net/can0

no data on overlay load/errror at /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog
can anybody helo/suggest an idea?
(11-15-2018, 10:27 PM)lefedor Wrote: I ahve trouble starting CAN bus with TinkerOS,
have added "intf:dtoverlay=/mcp2515-can0"  to hw_intf.conf ,

Can you try the below line ? (no "/" between "=" and "mcp2515-can0")
intf:dtoverlay=mcp2515-can0
(11-16-2018, 01:05 AM)jamess Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 10:27 PM)lefedor Wrote: I ahve trouble starting CAN bus with TinkerOS,
have added "intf:dtoverlay=/mcp2515-can0"  to hw_intf.conf ,

Can you try the below line ? (no "/" between "=" and "mcp2515-can0")

Yes, i've pasted this variant allso.

I found this mesages in messages, think this could be the reason?:

Code:
linaro@tinkerboard:~$ dmesg|grep spi
[    2.178239] rockchip-pinctrl pinctrl: pin gpio5-12 already requested by ff1c0000.serial; cannot claim for ff110000.spi
[    2.178280] rockchip-pinctrl pinctrl: pin-164 (ff110000.spi) status -22
[    2.178308] rockchip-pinctrl pinctrl: could not request pin 164 (gpio5-12) from group spi0-clk  on device rockchip-pinctrl
[    2.178339] rockchip-spi ff110000.spi: Error applying setting, reverse things back
Want add:

I've made clean install in raspberry & thinkerboard (OS 2.0.7).
Have setted mcp2515 module with raspberry and confirmed it's working.

The module is modded chineese mcp2515 (cutted trace to separate 5 and 3.3v supply for IC's):
https://vimtut0r.com/2017/01/17/can-bus-...nel-4-4-x/
This setup worked fine with raspberry for years for me.

Have rewired module to tinkerboard accordingly, added
"intf:dtoverlay=mcp2515-can0"
have checked "spi2=on":

Code:
#Hardware Interface Config

intf:spi0=off
intf:uart2=off
intf:uart3=on
intf:uart4=on
intf:pcm_i2s=on
intf:i2c1=on
intf:i2c4=on
intf:spi2=on
intf:pwm2=on
intf:pwm3=on
intf:uart1=on

#DTS Overlay Config
# 1. check the name.dtbo in /boot/overlays
# 2. add intf:dtoverlay=name as below

#intf:dtoverlay=i2c

#intf:dtoverlay=mcp2515-can0,oscillator=16000000,interrupt=5

no verbose messages in dmesg on spi or mcp (dmesg|grep -i spi)
no "net" at "ls /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/"

have altered intf:dtoverlay to
intf:dtoverlay=mcp2515-can0,oscillator=16000000,interrupt=6 (for INT on pin 22, at first test it was at pin 18 according to PiCAN2 schematics)
system started provide messages from prev post (at least):

Code:
linaro@tinkerboard:~$ dmesg|grep spi
[    2.178239] rockchip-pinctrl pinctrl: pin gpio5-12 already requested by ff1c0000.serial; cannot claim for ff110000.spi
[    2.178280] rockchip-pinctrl pinctrl: pin-164 (ff110000.spi) status -22
[    2.178308] rockchip-pinctrl pinctrl: could not request pin 164 (gpio5-12) from group spi0-clk  on device rockchip-pinctrl
[    2.178339] rockchip-spi ff110000.spi: Error applying setting, reverse things back

Have read dts file, not only it have commented __overrides__ (didn't those extra settings should be ignored?), it contains references on gpio5, gpio0 - If not only on this forum there are several reports tells this dts work for them I would suspect wrong pins definition in dts because of references to gpio0, gpio5 at those logs.

Have also disabled everything except spi2 as an test (=off) -mostly as attempt to disable conflict wit serial on pins 0,5 - no difference.