This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piano USB MIDI keyboard
Music 
I´m trying to connect my electric piano (CASIO PRIVIA PX-350) to the TinkerBoard to use as a MIDI device. The CASIO electric piano has a USB B output and a USB cable that I can connect to the Tinker Board. However the Tinker Board does not recognize the piano keyboard, neither the Android applications I have downloaded such as Perfect Piano, Playground Sessions or ORG2019. Do I need to install a MIDI driver? How?
(07-07-2018, 03:32 PM)shaba Wrote: I´m trying to connect my electric piano (CASIO PRIVIA PX-350) to the TinkerBoard to use as a MIDI device. The CASIO electric piano has a USB B output and a USB cable that I can connect to the Tinker Board. However the Tinker Board does not recognize the piano keyboard, neither the Android applications I have downloaded such as Perfect Piano, Playground Sessions or ORG2019. Do I need to install a MIDI driver? How?

Search midi in synaptic.  Hopefully, there will be someone who has got it working.
There is a lot there to install and study.

Looking at the manual for your piano it says that the midi is disabled when plugged into a computer usb. See EN87
Not compatible with linux, only with windows. See EN86
After a day of tweaking I have found out that:
1. An Android App called USB Device Info can be used to determine wether the Tinker Board´s Android OS can recognize the USB MIDI piano keyboard. When it appears in the list with its name as Audio Device, the appropriate driver should be present. In my case it has shown the CASIO keyboard correctly.
2. Piano applications that are free have a poor job of supporting less mainstream MIDI keyboards apparently. (Tested and did not work: PerfectPiano, PianoFree from Gismart and PlaygroundSessions Beta)
3. Payed or more advanced applications however do recognize the CASIO piano keyboard: I was able to use via USB cable the SimplyPiano teacher app, the ORG2019 (payed feature $16) the Music Studio Lite and n-Track9 Digital Audio Workstation Android applications with success.
4. LAG: The main problem however that renders the Thinker Board with Android OS almost useless as an audio MIDI device is the audio latency over a second. There is a quite significant time diference between pressing the piano key and hearing the sound on the speaker or earphone connected to the Tinker Board.

Anyone has an idea how to eliminate or speed up the audio latency?