This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
swap
Hi
I'm new to tinkerboard and was wandering about partitioning the sd card.I've installed tinker os and the partition table is a fat32 and a ext4 but no swap. Do i need it or not
Swapping to SD card will be very slow ... you don't want that. There are other, better options like zswap.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Xenial for Tinker Board.
(07-09-2018, 05:39 PM)igorpec Wrote: Swapping to SD card will be very slow ... you don't want that. There are other, better options like zswap.

Thanks for the response i'm going to look into zswap and see if it is useful

Thanka again Dale.
Quote:into zswap and see if it is useful

You don't have many alternatives. Swap on SD card is virtually useless since this media is ultra slow at such operations. You can make it on some external drive, but even in this case, zswap will perform (much) better. The only question is if TinkerOS kernel has enabled support for this feature. In this case, you need to recompile the kernel ... or go with https://www.armbian.com/tinkerboard/ where this comes by default. Also with more recent 4.14.y and cleaner kernel.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Xenial for Tinker Board.