This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kodi with HW Acceleration
Hey everyone,

I got my Tinkerboard yesterday and I tried installing TinkerOS on it, and then Kodi using apt. When I try to play a 1080p video in kodi, the video is being played way to slow and the audio is working normally. The video is h264 encoded, so the tinkerboard should be able to decode it in hardware. This makes me think that hw acceleration is not working. I tried to use the kodi build from mac-l1 aswell, but that has the exact same problem.

Will Kodi in v18 work with the tinkerboard and hw acceleration or not? If not then I will return the board, it is unusable like this. I can not use android as I need to run another software on the board which won't run on Android.

I really hope that someone knows how v18 will influence the support of the tinkerboard, there is not much information out about this.

Thanks for your help!

Flole
So it seems like the Hardware Acceleration is working (at least according to the codec information in Kodi). However, the issue seems to be the hardware decoding of my h264 Stream. It is a 1080i stream with 25FPS which causes the issues. A 720p Stream however works fine.

Its not the encoding but the deinterlacing. It is not available on Kodi for some reason. Can someone tell me how to activate it?
(07-10-2018, 08:22 PM)Flole Wrote: So it seems like the Hardware Acceleration is working (at least according to the codec information in Kodi). However, the issue seems to be the hardware decoding of my h264 Stream. It is a 1080i stream with 25FPS which causes the issues. A 720p Stream however works fine.

Its not the encoding but the deinterlacing. It is not available on Kodi for some reason. Can someone tell me how to activate it?

Interesting.  

So Kodi is playing it at half-speed, as thought it is 1080p25 instead of 1080i50?   

It sounds like the container has the wrong meta-data, calling it 25p instead of 50i, and confusing Kodi.  There used to be some odd progressive-in-interlaced capture formats back in the HDV (HD tape camcorder) days that caused endless issues, so I've seen this kind of thing.  Heck, I *still* have trouble with that old footage even though I thought I archived it all in proper 24p.  

Maybe have a look at what vlc says about the file in the "media info" pane.  

If that's not it, do you have a sample that someone could download and try?
(07-16-2018, 08:48 PM)BeauSlim Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 08:22 PM)Flole Wrote: So it seems like the Hardware Acceleration is working (at least according to the codec information in Kodi). However, the issue seems to be the hardware decoding of my h264 Stream. It is a 1080i stream with 25FPS which causes the issues. A 720p Stream however works fine.

Interesting.  

So Kodi is playing it at half-speed, as thought it is 1080p25 instead of 1080i50?   

It sounds like the container has the wrong meta-data, calling it 25p instead of 50i, and confusing Kodi.  There used to be some odd progressive-in-interlaced capture formats back in the HDV (HD tape camcorder) days that caused endless issues, so I've seen this kind of thing.  Heck, I *still* have trouble with that old footage even though I thought I archived it all in proper 24p.  

Maybe have a look at what vlc says about the file in the "media info" pane.  

If that's not it, do you have a sample that someone could download and try?

The source is a DVB Stream, and it is even correctly recognized by Kodi, but still the video is running at half speed. VLC is also showing 50i, so I am not sure what is going on here. It also happens with all those test videos available, I also tried it with the Testfiles from the kodi wiki that should be properly encoded but I am still having the issue.
Where you get Kodi with HW decoding under TinkerOS? Did you tried Kodi v18 under Android, that is the most stable with HW decoding.
Regards
Samson
Ok, yeah, you're right. I grabbed some of those samples linked in the kodi wiki, and redoing the container didn't help.

Well, it did on one, but all that really happened was that the LibreELEC video player stopped doing hardware decode on that file. Software decode played at the proper frame rate, but cpu was 80-90% on all 4 cores.

Looking in the forums, good deinterlacing in Kodi/LibreELEC is entirely dependent on the hardware driver, and different TV boxes do a better or worse job of it depending on their processor.

I guess we'll have to wait to see if things improve once LibreELEC sorts out the Rockchip graphics drivers.