This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with eMMC have U-Boot and device not recognized
Question 
Hi,
i have a few problems with my Tinker Board S.

My first problem is that if I connect the board via Micro USB to the PC, nothing happens (no disk is displayed). This is the case with both Windows and MAC OS X. Furthermore, in the device manager of Windows the device is displayed as an unknown device (this I have observed on 3 different Windows PC). How can I fix this issue so I can save/boot the OS from Huh the eMMC?

Is there also a general way to set the Board back to the factory default??

I then tried to save various OS image on an SD card and play with the jumper so that the SD card is started. Only one of these OS works, the latest version v2.0.7 ThinkerOS. By the way, if I install gparted i can see the Memory of the eMMC. I tried now to write about dd the image 20180206-tinker-board-android-v13.13.0.74 on the eMMC. After a restart without SD card, the screen remains black. How do I have to put the jumper?

I am desperate. Can someone help me please, how I must proceed, so that an image of eMMC is booted.

Thanks in advance

Rergards

Try latest Armbian, version which is noted to support eMMC, and use armbian-config way of installing. I am pretty confident it will transfer OS to eMMC successfully ... but I am unable to verify that at this moment. Remember that each time you are going to install something that doesn't directly support Tinkerboard S, you lose the ability to flash again via USB mass storage method. I don't know if that Android supports Tinkerboard S. That would explain troubles.

IIRC jumper can be left in the default position.

It would nice to attach a serial console to see what is going wrong.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Xenial for Tinker Board.
[-] The following 1 user Likes igorpec's post:
  • Tinker Board
Can you help provide what USB uid/vid info you get?
I guess the your current u-boot may have no UMS function. https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index....ard_S_eMMC

And android 6, we would info our RD team and confirm are there have any issue.
First of all, thank you for your answers.
@igorpec i don't have a serial console but i will try the Armbian OS

@Tinker Board "current u-boot may have no UMS function"  => this may be the case. But I think I'm too stupid to do this tutorial because I tried it a few times yesterday. How can I do this the terminal (Running OS of the SD card) that the UMS function works or is activated in the u-boot?

Sorry but I am a newbie
Hi,

You can flash below this image into your MicroSD card.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Embe....7.img.zip

And use "UMS from SD card" this way.

When you ready a MicroSD card with UMS's OS (e.g. 2.0.7). 
1. Put it into Tinker Board S.
2. And change jumper to MASKROM mode.
[Image: S_jumpr_mode.png]

3. Connect Tinker with MicroUSB to your PC. In this time, it should be triggered SD card's UMS to remount eMMC to your PC. So the UID/VID may be differents.

Then you can flash image from your PC into eMMC again.

Please kind to take a try again.
Thanks.
Thanks Tinker Board i will try this tomorrow and if i would have a problem i will report it here.

Thanks a lot
I found a few minutes to test it to remount UMS and it works. Great info! I also now understand the jumper system. But now i have only one last question: Which AndroidOs can i use to store on an SD-Card and then start the board from the sd-card(Maskrom Jumper).

Regards
(07-11-2018, 03:11 PM)zickes Wrote: I found a few minutes to test it to remount UMS and it works. Great info! I also now understand the jumper system. But now i have only one last question: Which AndroidOs can i use to store on an SD-Card and then start the board from the sd-card(Maskrom Jumper).

Regards

I use version TinkerOS_Android V13.13.0.74  in my SD-card. But i prefer emmc to SD-card. Tongue
Big Grin  I'm Lyle. 
If I understand you correctly, it isn't possible to flash ThinkerOsAndroid into eMMC? Is there an Android version that i can flash into the eMMC and can also be launched from there?
(07-12-2018, 09:28 AM)zickes Wrote: If I understand you correctly, it isn't possible to flash ThinkerOsAndroid into eMMC? Is there an Android version that i can flash into the eMMC and can also be launched from there?

After you change jumper to parking mode, and get one micro usb to connect your PC to Tinker Board S.

Your PC will recognize Tinker Board S as a storage like SD-card. Then you can use Win32DiskImager to write TinkerAndroidOS into Tinker Board S emmc.

I flashing android 20180206-tinker-board-android-marshmallow-userdebug-v13.13.0.74.img into emmc and sdcard. Both two are fine.
Big Grin  I'm Lyle.