This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I get VLC to work? v2.0.7
I'm trying to make my tinker board into a media player and I just don't know enough to get VLC working on the TinkerOS v2.0.7. I'm wanting to play old disk images through the tinker board. Do older versions of VLC work and how do I install an older version? Thank you
VLC is ok for playing mp4, but mp3 audio files are skippy.  Not good.
VLC has a smb plugin, if you are using Samba.
Smplayer is better for now till they get vlc audio fixed.  I have been waiting.

Why is VLC not working.  In what way?
If no audio output, run a mp3 file with vlc and go to menu>sound>pulseAudio>select your sound source.
You should see the vlc volume level working.

Install smplayer sudo apt install smplayer
Run a mp3 audio file with smplayer
Go to menu>soundvideo>pulseAudio>PlayBackTab>select your sound source with the drop down button
(08-04-2018, 03:17 PM)Tinkard_Boer Wrote: I'm trying to make my tinker board into a media player

What about Kodi, instead ?
Adding an IR receiver will be the best that you get Wink
Nothing will forbids you to revert to something different, whenever you change mind.
I've tried Kodi for my ISO images and it just doesn't load the menus correctly, VLC does a great job of what I need it to do. Same with smplayer, can play the video but can't access the menu of the file.

Whenever I try to start VLC in the TinkerOS v2.0.7 it loads and plays sound but I cannot see the program at all. I can see that VLC is active in the task manager, I can hear it play the video, but no signs of the program appears on the screen, not even on the task bar. I have no clue to what is going on with it and just can't seem to find info on it. Anyone else having troubles with the VLC GUI/Video not showing on screen? Thank yo again for all the suggestions so far.
(08-05-2018, 08:51 PM)Tinkard_Boer Wrote: I've tried Kodi for my ISO images and it just doesn't load the menus correctly, VLC does a great job of what I need it to do. Same with smplayer, can play the video but can't access the menu of the file.

Whenever I try to start VLC in the TinkerOS v2.0.7 it loads and plays sound but I cannot see the program at all. I can see that VLC is active in the task manager, I can hear it play the video, but no signs of the program appears on the screen, not even on the task bar. I have no clue to what is going on with it and just can't seem to find info on it. Anyone else having troubles with the VLC GUI/Video not showing on screen? Thank yo again for all the suggestions so far.

Have you tried to install vlc plugins?
Use synaptic and search for vlc.
Scroll down and see if any of those plugins work.
You can try and older version.
Highlite the vlc line
click on package tab
select forced version
select the older version.

Maybe MYthtv
https://www.mythtv.org/
There is a mythDVD player that plays DVDs. Maybe the menu will work with this one.

I ran some iso with vlc.
I can see the menu but they don't work when clicked and vlc runs the first selection.
My vlc runs very slow full screen and runs perfect with a small screen. Not good.
(08-05-2018, 08:51 PM)Tinkard_Boer Wrote: I've tried Kodi for my ISO images and it just doesn't load the menus correctly, VLC does a great job of what I need it to do. Same with smplayer, can play the video but can't access the menu of the file.

I'm experiencing the same problem, with a difference. If I boot my  Tinker Board (v. 2.07) in my office room, VLC does everything I want it to (apart from the lacking video acceleration, which is a different issue). However, when I move my Tinker Board to my music room in the basement, (where I use it for band purposes) VLC (in most cases) only works in the background and shows no skin. To stop it playing I have to kill the process. I never had this in v2.04 or earlier. The only difference between the two places is that the speed of the Devolo Power LAN adapter in the basement is a bit lower than in the office. I have not yet tried going back to VLC version 2.xx, as this cannot really be a serious solution.

TinkerOS 2.07 seems to be buggy anyway, as Chromium doesn't either work after updates and has to be set back to v.63..., which is annoying, too. So I hope Asus will seriously try to make the OS more stable.
That Chromium issue...I think that would be debian or google's issue...??

Because...I try to solve the solutions myself, but there is no answer on the internet. Only can found some few similar issues' reports.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor...bug=906548
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/iss...?id=846437
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/...ng.406482/
Information 
(08-04-2018, 03:17 PM)Tinkard_Boer Wrote: I'm trying to make my tinker board into a media player and I just don't know enough to get VLC working on the TinkerOS v2.0.7. I'm wanting to play old disk images through the tinker board. Do older versions of VLC work and how do I install an older version? Thank you

I use (RetroPie on the TinkerBoard) ROTT 16GB 0.6.img which is 16GB big so you need a 32GB? SD Card. It has VLC preinstalled. I never use it for mp3 nor images, but it does connect to webcams  Big Grin