This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solved by Jay post -- How can I install hplip on 2.07
Thumbs Up 
hello everybody! I'm still enjoying learning on my Tinker. At this point I had 2.05 running: Apache2 server, mysql/maria, php, gcc, firfox, libreoffice, cups and hplip. I use hplip to print to my hp 930c printer. In both 2.05 and 2.07 I use synapticpackage manager to install all packages. It worked fine in 2.05.
To install my hplip, I first reloaded the manager and updated all newer packages then installed cups, then rebooted then installed hplip and rebooted. hplip doesn't recognize my cups softaware.

I have no idea what to do next, Can anyone help?

Maurice
Have you check the cups configuration. You might login at http://localhost:631 for that.
Then try to remove the old configuration and try to discover the printer.
Any errors from cups logs ?
(08-10-2018, 01:35 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: Have you check the cups configuration. You might login at http://localhost:631 for that.
Then try to remove the old configuration and try to discover the printer.
Any errors from cups logs ?

I have run the hp status it tels me that it cant cummunicate with cups. I will try what you propose asap . where is the cups log?
Many thanks for taking the time to help!
maurice
(08-10-2018, 03:58 AM)Maurice Wrote: hello everybody! I'm still enjoying learning on my Tinker. At this point I had 2.05 running: Apache2 server, mysql/maria, php, gcc, firfox, libreoffice, cups and hplip. I use hplip to print to my hp 930c printer. In both 2.05 and 2.07 I use synapticpackage manager to install all packages. It worked fine in 2.05.
To install my hplip, I first reloaded the manager and updated all newer packages then installed cups, then rebooted then installed hplip and rebooted. hplip doesn't recognize my cups softaware.

Maurice

There are so many ways to setup a printer.  One method maybe better than others. Try this one using lpd or ipp.

Tinkerboard with HP OfficeJet Pro wireless:  Remember to follow all these steps.
1 Install cups first.  Use synaptic.
          cups-common,cups-core-drivers,cups-daemon,cups-filters,cups-filters-core-drivers
          cups-ipp-utils,cups-ppdc,cups-server-common
          cups-tea4cups, system-config-printer
Note:  you should see menu>pref>printsettings
       make sure menu>pref>services>cups is enabled   Printer IP or HostName is the queue.
2 Menu>pref>printerSettings> asks for root/password Click add printer
3 FindPrinter>LPD/LPRhostOrPrinter  enter HP738 for host and queue  Use your printer host name.
  Device URI > lpd://HP738/HP738  The host name never changes like the ip.
  Select HP>OfficeJet Pro  Wait for the driver list to build. Try recommended or different ones for your pinter.
  Don't use 192.168.1.131 The ip always changes. Use host name.  Need not prob
4 Select HP>DeskJet           Don't send test page. Use libreoffice with short text.
(08-10-2018, 03:40 PM)Jay Smith Wrote:
(08-10-2018, 03:58 AM)Maurice Wrote: hello everybody! I'm still enjoying learning on my Tinker. At this point I had 2.05 running: Apache2 server, mysql/maria, php, gcc, firfox, libreoffice, cups and hplip. I use hplip to print to my hp 930c printer. In both 2.05 and 2.07 I use synapticpackage manager to install all packages. It worked fine in 2.05.

Maurice

There are so many ways to setup a printer.  One method maybe better than others.  Try this one using ipp.
Use the system-config-printer in the menu>pref

Tinkerboard with HP OfficeJet Pro wireless:  Remember to follow all these steps.
          cups-common,cups-core-drivers,cups-daemon,cups-filters,cups-filters-core-drivers
       make sure menu>pref>services>cups is enabled   Printer IP or HostName is the queue.
2 Menu>pref>printerSettings> asks for root/password  Click add printer
3 FindPrinter>LPD/LPRhostOrPrinter  enter HP738 for host and queue   Use your printer host name.
  Select HP>OfficeJet Pro  Wait for the driver list to build.   Try recommended or different ones for your pinter.
4 Select HP>DeskJet           Don't send test page. Use libreoffice with short text.

Many thanks for your extensive help. Let me try this on a clean 2.07. I will get back to you with the results.
best regards,
Maurice
[-] The following 1 user Likes Maurice's post:
  • Maurice
(08-10-2018, 10:56 PM)Maurice Wrote:

Maurice

There are so many ways to setup a printer.  One method maybe better than others.  Try this one using ipp.

3 FindPrinter>LPD/LPRhostOrPrinter  enter HP738 for host and queue   Use your printer host name.
  Select HP>OfficeJet Pro  Wait for the driver list to build.   Try recommended or different ones for your pinter.

Many thanks for your extensive help. Let me try this on a clean 2.07. I will get back to you with the results.
best regards,
Maurice

Works with text print and color png inserted. Wow!
No need for HPlip 

Thanks for giving me such clear and precise instructions!
Maurice
(08-11-2018, 03:15 AM)Maurice Wrote:
(08-10-2018, 10:56 PM)Maurice Wrote:

Maurice

Select HP>OfficeJet Pro  Wait for the driver list to build.   Try recommended or different ones for your printer.
  Don't use ip looks like this. 192.168.1.131  The ip always changes. Use host name.  Need not to click prob

best regards,
Maurice

Works with text print and color png inserted. Wow!
No need for HPlip 

Thanks for giving me such clear and precise instructions!
Maurice

Your welcome.
Here are some great programs to play with.
Gimp           for editing photos.
gwenview   Photo viewing program
Okular         PDF reader
Openshot   Video editing
Dolphin4    I like this one for searching file names.
Audacity     Audio file editing
Kodi            Watch lots of video   Install uranus
Smplayer   Media player

And once you get it all install and configured.........clone it!

If you are interested doing it.
I had worked on this method of cloning any OS System.
It works good, I am so glad not having to configure systems over and over. Saves a lot of time.
The best way is get a 16GB usb or microSD and setup up and clone it.  You can restore the image
to a 16GB or Larger.  I tried different ways and the 16GB is the only way to do it dependably.

Make a bootable USB and install Cloneziilla on it.

Yumi:
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/
Yumi Notes:
1 Yumi works in linux with wine installed. It is the easiest to work with but limited.
2 May have to use windows to get yumi to format the usb to fat32 the first time. 
Dang! Still need a windows. At least only once the first time.
Then you can use yumi in linux to load iso files. Yumi shows the usb as ntfs even though it is fat32.
I tried formating the usb fat32 with gparted but it wouldn't boot. Must need yumi to format it.
3 Yumi is limited. Easy2boot does all.
4 Make sure you download iso files and not zip. Yumi will only see iso files.
5 No defragging required.
6 fat32 format is required. Don't know yet if ntfs will work.
Load clonezilla or partimag and you can burn backups of all devices.

CloneZilla/easy2boot Setup:
Remember: Some Live ISOs will need to have acpi=off added to the boot commandline, if they don't boot. 
Commandline found at the bottom of the Live OS boot menu. Type acpi=off at the end.
Install your favorite OS on the Tinkerboard's microSD or Desktop Computer System. 
Update and install all needed apps and config them.
1  Download and Install easy2boot for windows/linux. Select the USB and install. http://www.easy2boot.com/
2  Download clonezilla live iso. http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php
3  Copy the clonezilla.iso and any others to the utilities folder.
4  Boot up with the usb drive that you installed/formatted with easy2boot.
5  Navigate to the utilities and select clonezilla.
6 Contiguous: When you delete any files in the usb you have to run the contiguous command on the easy2boot usb drive.
It will defrag the usb drive. The usb drive must not be fragmented.

Clonezilla steps:
Clonezilla (CZ) ver. 2.2.3.10-amd64
Take the TBos MicroSD to the other desktop and plug it into the usb. Use another internal or external drive to store the image to be created.
1 Run and select Clonezilla Default
2 Enter ok for Engish, Don't touch keymap
3 Start-CZ Device-image work with disks or partitions using images
4 Select local_dev (USB, HDrive, SSD), Assign where CZ image will be saved/read for restoring It will be mounted as Temporary /home/partimag
5 Select sdb or sdc, Don't use the device you will be creating an image for.
6 Select / top_directory_in_the_local_device
7 Select Beginner mode: accept the default option
8 Select Save Disk saves local disk as image. If an image is found, CZ will offer the restore options also.
9 Name the saved image, Remember: Don't use spaces or CZ will not recognize it.
10 Select the local disk to save, USB/MicroSD/Hdrive. Create image of the device and all of it's partitions/MBR.
11 If using Clonezilla zesty, it will make the mount /media/ owned by root. 
You can change it with su or sudo chown -R username /media/driveMountName or /media/*
Then you can move/delete/copy images to the partition. Programmers make it root owned when creating images for security reasons.

Notes: 
Clonezilla (CZ) ver. 2.2.3.10-amd64 put the image in the USB Drive and did not change the partition to root.
2 If there is an image in the same device partiton, CZ will offer the restore option with the save option. 
3 Remember: CZ won't recognize an image name with spaces in it.
4 Some motherboards/operating systems have to have acpi=off entered at boot time in order to boot.
5 The drive must be unmounted to create an image of the drive. That's why it's important to boot from a USB/CD.

Easy2boot:
For Linux version:
http://www.easy2boot.com/make-an-easy2boot-usb-drive/make-using-linux/ howto
http://www.easy2boot.com/download/alternate-download-sites/ Download sites
1 Download and unzip the Easy2Boot file to a folder on your internal linux hard disk - use unrar or 7Zip to extract the files (sudo apt-get install 7zip).
2 Open terminal go to ..... \_ISO\docs\linux_utils folder (contains utilities and scripts)
3 Make all files executable (sudo chmod 777 *)
4 Type sudo ./fmt.sh or ./fmt_ntfs.sh (this requires the bash shell - if you are using the sh shell you will get errors - or try sudo bash ./fmt.sh)
Note: be sure to select the correct partition such as sdb1 or you will get a 'MISSING MBR HELPER' error message when you boot!). OS that don't use sudo may not work. Can try find/replace sudo in script file.

Defrag or Contiguous:
No need to defrag
https://rmprepusb.blogspot.com/2014/06/easy2boot-142-now-no-need-to-defrag-iso.html
Copy the largest iso on the e2b usb into the _ISO and rename it CONTIG.ISO. 
It must not be larger than 3.999 gigs.
Does run faster if defragged as below:
udefrag is a 32-bit linux utility for NTFS drives.
To run udefrag for NTFS drives under Ubuntu 64-bit:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386
1 (change to _ISO/docs/linux_utils folder)
2 sudo chmod 777 *
3 sudo udefrag -om /dev/sdX1 (where sdX1 is your NTFS USB partition)

You can copy any other OS iso file to easy2boot usb.
Copy ubuntu.iso to the linux folder in the ISO folder.
Copy windows.iso to the the windows folder.
Copy utility applications to the utility folder.
When you delete any files in the usb you have to run the contiguous command on the easy2boot usb drive.
It will defrag the usb drive.  The usb drive must not be fragmented.
There are other programs that will make bootable usbs. I like this one. You can drop an iso real quick and boot it. YUMI is good.
Remember the acpi=off issue with some motherboards that won't boot.

gparted
gpartedLive.iso is another good one to download and copy to the easy2boot utilities folder. 
https://gparted.org/livecd.php

CloneZilla Live CD help:
You can also burn the CZ to a cd and boot it.
https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Clonezilla
https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-do-i-clone-a-hard-drive-with-clonezilla/
https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/bugs/168/
http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/01_Save_disk_image
For courtesy and readability, shouldn't be better to edit your post ?
(08-11-2018, 12:10 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: For courtesy and readability, shouldn't be better to edit your post ?

Should it be or should it not be?
Not sure what you are trying to say.
My writing skills are not the best.
There is a lot to know and I try to keep it short as possible. They can always go do searches and read tons of text.
I don't want to make the issue longer, I feel that good manners are mostly welcome. I admit I didn't read this forum rule, Just to stay to the good side.