This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixed Questions and Ideas
What i really want to is to make one unit that does Retrogaming, Netflix and Spotify with its own internal speakers. Items below based on easy availability where i live.
SBC: Asus Tinker Board S
Apps: Retroarch, Spotify and Netflix
Periphals: 2 Gamepads via bluetooth
Screen: RPI 7 inch Touch Screen
AMP: Hifiberry AMP2+
External buttons: 1 Power Switch for the ATBS to turn on and off properly, 1 Power Switch to cut main power physically. Later on maybe add a few buttons like Volume, Play/Pause, arrows, back forth, for navigating the UI. Maybe one of the DIY gamepads can be a good base for that purpose.

If the above idea is not possible i want to build 2 separate machines.

- First i want to set up a Kid-friendly Retro-machine. One press on/off Powerswitch is a MUST and an easy Menu system. It doesnt need to have its own screen attached. It wont need touch. It must have two wired or wireless remotes connected. I'm Thinking about those NS30 that looks like SNES with 2 thumbsticks. But i also have a box of PS3 remotes laying around if they are better suited and easy to use. here CEC is welcomed.

- Secondly i want to make a stand-alone Spotify player with touch screen and amp. I wouldn't mind having a separate amp-board that have to be toggled manually. But the Actual Audio-player needs to have an On/Off Switch. Ive had my eyes on Volumio with its spotify support but i want everything to be on one device.
I think the best solution would be: Android OS, RPI 7 inch Touch Screen, Hifi berry amp2, Any kind of Momentary Power switch, Spotify through google play.

- Thirdly, if the second project is successful i want to expand that very same device to be more like a Spotify/Netflix-box, since that's what my kids use. If android is successful i guess adding Netflix would be done and easy. Touch functionality is important here ofc. Otherwise i might have to skip the Netflix part.

Regarding the Tinker Board S i have these following questions that keeps me from making a decision whether to go Raspberry or Tinker.

1: Can i set up the Tinker Board S with a proper power switch? And how do these switches work with both the official Tinker OS and official Android OS? I've seen the S model have a 2x1 - pin power connector but i cant seem to find any proper info on how to set it up with correct hardware and software. 

2: With the S version having better I2S, can it now use a Hifiberry AMP/DAC properly or any other DAC/AMP? And with a connected amp with its own powersupply, can the ASUS Board still shut on and off with the 2 Power On Pins? Its ok if the DAC/AMP still draws some power as long as the Tinker Board is shut down and can be disconnected without any issues the my files and software like what can happen to the Pi.

3: I Want to set up the board with a 5-10 inch touch screen. It has to be fast enough to not look smeery or unsmooth. The official Raspberry Pi 7 inch is a good candidate here? 

4: Will Tinker OS and Android through its CEC-compatible HDMI wake up a modern TV with a CEC compatible port? Is this on hardware level so that any os can wake up a TV?

5: Ive seen a video with the Tinker Board non S set up to the Nespi case with the power switch soldered to the 2x1 power on pins. Has anyone tried this with the S version? 

6: Can the Android OS connect to a controller like the PS3 remote or similar to controll its GUI and Apps?

I will add questions as i go.
I suppose that few will follow this thread. Because is a bunch of confusion.
It's better you keep only one argument as long as you'll be satisfy.
Anyway, feel free to try.
(08-10-2018, 01:42 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: I suppose that few will follow this thread. Because is a bunch of confusion.
It's better you keep only one argument as long as you'll be satisfy.
Anyway, feel free to try.

I don't know how to interpret your answer.

Where lies the confusion? 

And what are the arguments?
(08-10-2018, 01:55 PM)Vendelator Wrote: Where lies the confusion?
On the number of your question...
Vendelator Wrote:And what are the arguments?
I didn't got what your intent.
But I may be wrong.
To answer the question on case fittings, the S is identical in size and layout to standard tinkerboard

(08-10-2018, 08:32 AM)Vendelator Wrote: 4: Will Tinker OS and Android through its CEC-compatible HDMI wake up a modern TV with a CEC compatible port? Is this on hardware level so that any os can wake up a TV?

Note CEC only works on the model S, not the regular model (unless you solder: https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-258.html)
(08-10-2018, 08:32 AM)Vendelator Wrote: 4: Will Tinker OS and Android through its CEC-compatible HDMI wake up a modern TV with a CEC compatible port? Is this on hardware level so that any os can wake up a TV?

Note CEC only works on the model S, not the regular model (unless you solder: https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-258.html)
[/quote]

Yes i have noted this. But my question points more towards the CEC functionality out of the box from their own two OS's.

(08-10-2018, 02:25 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote:
(08-10-2018, 01:55 PM)Vendelator Wrote: Where lies the confusion?
On the number of your question...
Vendelator Wrote:And what are the arguments?
I didn't got what your intent.
But I may be wrong.
In the first half i write what my goal is.

Second half are just several questions i want answered.