This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eMMC Recovery: Image Path needed for sd card
Hi.

Brand new to tinkering.  Purchased a refurbished Tinker Board S but was unable to flash Tinker OS to eMMC via USB cable and Etcher.  Did some digging, but the information on eMMC recovery is incomplete.  I'm hoping someone can help me figure out the path I need to dd the UMS from SD card to eMMC.  The recovery page simply states /path/to/tinkeros.img.  This is a silly question, but where is that path?  I have the jumper in the maskrom position, have the USB cable connected, Tinker Board boots just fine from the SD card.  

And FYI: someone installed a third party OS on the eMMC which is labeled h264ify.  Kinda looks like Flint OS.  I tried to delete all the files I could see, but permission was denied...even though the user I created has admin permissions.  Tried to log in as root with the standard linaro password, but that didn't work.

Thanks!
Everything works better in a linux OS.
First you should get the OS that you wish to install. Then in most of the cases you should decompress the archive, the take that result (e.g. /path/to/tinkeros.img) and write it to the eMMC. Usually  you should find the eMMC when you connect it to the PC USB port, at that point it can be issued the dd command to write the image to eMMC.
In case you have a SD card working, then you may work directly from the Tinker Board. First you need a SD card that can host about 8 Gb (compressed archive and decompressed one), then you need to identify which is the eMMC. So you may try
Code:
$ ls -lF /dev/disk/by-label/
if you have labeled the partitions, which is a great advantage to understand what partition you will write. Otherwise you may use
Code:
$ ls -lF /dev/disk/by-uuid
and as above take note which is the partition on the SD card.

Once you defined which is the eMMC partitions (if any) then you'll be able to write to the device. Probably it will be something like /dev/mmcblkX, where the last two letter are discarded and X should be a number.
Anyway, for better guidance you should post these two commands an wait for a reply.

Additionally show your
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
within TinkerOS itself.
Thank you!  I won't have time to try until later, but I will report on success.

(08-12-2018, 02:11 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: Everything works better in a linux OS.
First you should get the OS that you wish to install. Then in most of the cases you should decompress the archive, the take that result (e.g. /path/to/tinkeros.img) and write it to the eMMC. Usually  you should find the eMMC when you connect it to the PC USB port, at that point it can be issued the dd command to write the image to eMMC.
In case you have a SD card working, then you may work directly from the Tinker Board. First you need a SD card that can host about 8 Gb (compressed archive and decompressed one), then you need to identify which is the eMMC. So you may try
Code:
$ ls -lF /dev/disk/by-label/
if you have labeled the partitions, which is a great advantage to understand what partition you will write. Otherwise you may use
Code:
$ ls -lF /dev/disk/by-uuid
and as above take note which is the partition on the SD card.

Once you defined which is the eMMC partitions (if any) then you'll be able to write to the device. Probably it will be something like /dev/mmcblkX, where the last two letter are discarded and X should be a number.
Anyway, for better guidance you should post these two commands an wait for a reply.

Additionally show your
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
within TinkerOS itself.