This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe Tinkerboard gets a mainlined kernel
Hello forum,

There's a good new. There will be a device-tree file for TBS, so it may be possible to set up any distro with a mainlined kernel. Which is likely same to  computer with a BIOS.
In facts, what makes it possible is that file, which should act as hardware wrapper to any vanilla kernel.
I hope that ASUS keeps up the support, so more people will be interested to get a TinkerBoard (S or non)
There some more steps to make it completed, but I wish that will happen a change soon. Who wants to try just follow my thread

Always a huge thanks to Mr Summers.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Im4Tinker's post:
  • jschwart
The tinker board S has landed to kernel.org. Just a beginning, the Realtek stuffs look cumbersome as usual Big Grin. So WiFi is not working and NIC seems to fail often.
I hope developer will join to bring solution to the mainlined kernel, which is the one that every machine rely on.
  • mark-aus-51
Armbian is already there which means you need to submit Armbian patches upstream and you are done. If they are accepted ...
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
(01-14-2019, 12:47 PM)igorpec Wrote: Armbian is already there
This is where I'm used to base my solutions. In particular the u-boot is great and works as I could compile mine with the armbian patches.
I'm not a qualified one to go to knock on mainline doors Tongue You might be entitled Wink
Anyway the kernel.org has its own scheme to handle certain modification. It's supposed they do with caution by their gathered experience, which should respect the kernel fundaments.
As I got to know, there still several thing to be arranged and there's some reluctance. So it might take few version to wait for new improvements.
Latest news:
There are activities toward the bluetooth, but is strongly necessary that the Asus staffs give a help to clarify how the hardware is working, because there are lacks of details.
(01-14-2019, 12:47 PM)igorpec Wrote: Armbian is already there which means you need to submit Armbian patches upstream and you are done. If they are accepted ...
A set of patches have been submitted to mainline, so something is evolving. I hope that you will find some suitable condition which might apply to Armbian as well.
  • igorpec
Finally is landed the mainline kernel, which works for TBS. Just a bit missing about bluetooth Wink
Code:
$ uname -a
Linux alarm 5.0.0-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Mar 5 04:24:45 UTC 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

Tanks  Mr Summers !!!
  • jschwart
It seems the GPU is also getting support!!
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n...-Linux-5.2