This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARMbian cannot boot on TB
Hi everyone
I write because I can not boot Armbian > 5.41 version

Unfortunately all my attempts have not been successful and I can boot TinkerOS, Android, Volumio but not Armbian.

I tried to flash Armbian on SD, put the jumper on Maskmode but the boot does not start unlike the other 2 mentioned 

The scenario is this:

Flashing with Etcher

TinkerOS 2.0.7 ---> eMMC -> jumper park mode -> boot ok
Armbian_5.59_next_4.14.67_desktop ---> eMMC ---> jumper park mode ---> no boot!
TinkerOS 2.0.7 ---> SD -> jumper maskrom mode -> boot ok
Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.14.67_desktop -> SD -> jumper maskrom mode -> no boot!

I do not know what other solutions to try.

I hope someone can help me, thanks.
I didn't find any problem to write Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.67.7z to eMMC and boot it.
The only think that may differ is that I used linux to write the file. But if necessary, dd is also available for windows.
So first is to extract the *.img file
Code:
$ 7z e Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.67.7z Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.67.img  ## in one line
## after write it to the eMMC
$ sudo dd if=Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.67.img of=/dev/sdX  ## X is referred which disk the kernel had assigned a letter [a-z]
For windows it should take a bit to discover which is the device assigned when plugged in
Code:
dd --list     ## it will show all the devices
#so it would be something like
dd if=Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.67.img  of=\\.\Volume{e3429891-0eb9-11da-b18f-000d60dc98cd}\
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
> I tried to flash Armbian on SD, put the jumper on Maskmode but the boot does not start unlike the other 2 mentioned

How long do you wait? First boot takes a little longer.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
Hello World!

I  used Etcher very often with Linux now , not only  for my Tinkerboard's S, also for other "fruits"!

I just had rare problems, but I find out it works better to expand the Image before "etchering"!

(I'm not shure jet but I think i had problems with .7z files. So if something will not work in Etcher I unpack the Image and try it again!)

Maybe you can try that!?

And... have you checked the md5 or sha256, or what ever summs, to be shure you downloaded the file correct?

Greetings

Grulle
(10-15-2018, 05:11 AM)igorpec Wrote: First boot takes a little longer.
Yeah, because the root partition it will be expanded. I'd rather prefer to have a second partition as  /home. So in my case took lesser time, because I manually expanded the partitions. Before the first boot.
I re-tested on 2 different SD cards, both formatted in FAT32.

Unzip both versions with 7z (as indicated by Im4Tinker) with linux (i'm using Linux Mint 19)

By checking the size of the IMG file of the 2 versions, I notice a big difference in terms of bytes. Armbian_5.41_Tinkerboard_Ubuntu_xenial_next_4.14.23_desktop.img = 3.0 Gb
Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.14.67_desktop.img = 1.8 Gb!

Verified the sha256sum of version 5.59 from the terminal and is the same as that reported in the file included in the 7z.

Version 5.41 works correctly (boot ok) while 5.59 does not (no boot).

As we already know, when the SD card is recognized as bootable, the internal green LED starts blinking (it happens with 5.41) while it remains off with 5.59.

What size is your working version of Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.14.67_desktop.img?
I just burn Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.14.67_desktop.img directly to eMMC from my desktop, disconnected and attached to a 5A PSU (it will not boot if you power from any computer USB port). Tinker booted without any issue. (jumper park mode) ... LED that start to blink is yellow color.

What is different between those two images is u-boot. Do you perhaps have a serial console?

P.S.
Use Etcher for writing!
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
(10-15-2018, 07:07 PM)igorpec Wrote: I just burn Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Ubuntu_bionic_next_4.14.67_desktop.img directly to eMMC from my desktop, disconnected and attached to a 5A PSU (it will not boot if you power from any computer USB port). Tinker booted without any issue. (jumper park mode) ... LED that start to blink is yellow color.

What is different between those two images is u-boot. Do you perhaps have a serial console?

P.S.
Use Etcher for writing!

Hello Igorpec,

the tinkerboard is powered by a 3A power supply.

I do not know the reason for the color of the flashing LED that in your case is yellow and mine is green with a booting system (the board has 3 LEDs, red, yellow, green)

I own a "FTDI Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC" cable but I do not know how to use it.

https://www.gearmo.com/wp-content/upload...ectors.jpg

If it's not too complicated I'd like to try using it to get a serial console if it can help me and find instructions to do it.

Thank you
(10-15-2018, 08:35 PM)maury69 Wrote: I own a "FTDI Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC" cable but I do not know how to use it.

That's not suitable, unless you can determine which wire are GND, RX and TS. Also to be sure that the voltage is not exceding 3.5 V on the TX wire.
    This is preferred with PL2303hx chipset. I'm using that Wink
The yellow (orange) LED is the heartbeat and will be flashing at 2 Hz rate when the system is up and running. The RED is the power which will be lit as soon there's power to the board.

Code:
$ 7z l $HOME/Downloads/Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.67.7z

7-Zip [64] 16.02 : Copyright (c) 1999-2016 Igor Pavlov : 2016-05-21
p7zip Version 16.02 (locale=it_IT.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,64 bits,8 CPUs Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (306A9),ASM,AES-NI)

Scanning the drive for archives:
1 file, 250951148 bytes (240 MiB)

Listing archive: /home/myself/Downloads/Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.67.7z

--
Path = /home/myself/Downloads/Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.67.7z
Type = 7z
Physical Size = 250951148
Headers Size = 297
Method = LZMA2:25
Solid = +
Blocks = 1

Date      Time    Attr         Size   Compressed  Name
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2018-08-29 21:12:54 ....A    998244352    250950851  Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.67.img
2018-08-29 21:13:06 ....A          833               Armbian_5.59_Tinkerboard_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.67.img.asc
2018-08-29 21:12:54 ....A        18578               armbian.txt
2018-08-29 21:13:00 ....A          123               sha256sum.sha
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2018-08-29 21:13:06          998263886    250950851  4 files
I found what causes my problem. I disconnected the hdmi cable from the monitor and the Armbuan 5.59 system starts up. If I leave it attached to the tinkerboard it will not start. is it a power problem? Why does not this happen with TinkerOS or Armbian 5.41?