This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOWTO TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.7 > eMMC of Tinkerboard S > configuration!
Hello World!

Here I try to describe my way to install TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.7 on  Tinkerboard S eMMC
and the configuration to a usefull desktop-replacement with "non english" language!

You might ask yourself why ... because I'm not naturaly english speaking and I had to fiddle arround a bit
to get this done with the Language setting, Keyboard, Updates and at least the Chromium Issue 

I own three of this boards, tried out different operating systems... also Armbian in it's differen flavours.
I came back to TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.7  because for me it's most usable, as you will see, nearly out of the Box.

1.)
Install Etcher!
It is easy to use and prevents you from overwrite your harddisk, what could easily  be happend with other tools like dd!
But, anyway be careful!!!

2.)
Download the TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.7 from the Asus Download Site

Check the MD5-Summs, and check them from the original Asus-Site! I know it' a bit hard to find...!
If you don't now how to check them, learn it, that's important!!!

Don't trust me! Angry

MD5:
bbe7fe5b56c5bb4ce3ebd057b939ebda (zip)
1a723676d5e977096a8fbabf8ef06bc4 (img)

3.)
Take your brandnew Tinkerboard S, leave the Jumper in it's default parking position.

Don't forget to put the little hedgehog-locking-cooling-thing on the CPU! (For the beginning!)

And then connect the Tinkerboard S with it's  micro-USB-Port to your Computer's USB-Port
with a USB to micro-USB Cable.
After a short time it will be recognised as a USB-Drive.

4.)
Open Etcher and select the Image you have downloaded before!
(Etcher can unzip this file 'on the fly', but if you have any problems, or want to change some
things before you flash it , unzip it before flashing!)

If you have selected the Image Etcher is asking you to select a Drive,
and normally Etcher offers the right on. But check that, should be 15.something GB!!
Don't choose the 500GB disk! Sad

It is helpfull if you have just one USB-Drive connected to your Computer!

And now, if you checked everything again , start flashing!

This will take some minutes, and if it's ready Etcher will automatically verify the data it has flashed.

Hopefully you will get the message Flashing Completed!

Close Etcher, unmount your both USB-Drives. Yes two, because Etcher build two partitons on the
Tinkerboard S eMMC!

And then disconnect the Tinkerboard S from your Computer!

Connect your Tinkerboard S to an HDMI-Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse and  Audio if
you use the 3.5mm Audio-Jack.
I find out it is better not to connect SSD's and other devices, you might add them later.
I do not connect the Ethernet-Cable at this time!

6.)
Power up your Tinkerbard S with a good Power Supply Unit with 5 V and minimum 2.5 A, but better 3 A or more.

I never used something else than the micro-USB-Port to power the Tinkerboard S!

My PSU is adjustable and I power the board with 5.15 V. It can power the board to a maximum of 5 A.

(This is a maximum of over 25 Watts. The board will never need so much Energy, but keep in mind to have enough Headroom
for short peaks
I never had problems with SSD's but if the motor of a "old" harddrive will start to spinn...! 
For a short while it will need a few watts more!
If you have problems, use an external-powered USB-Hub and connect such devices to it, but not now! 
Also if you want to charge your mobile-phone!  Tongue )

If you kept all that in mind, don't be shy, and power it up!

7.)
If you successfully booted your board the first thing you shold do is to configure it a bit!

Give him a new Password and so!

Therefore click on the LXDE-Symbol in the lower left corner
move up the menu to Preferences and in the new upcoming menu click on Tinker Board Configuration.

The Tinker Board Configuration window welcomes you and gives you some helpful information.
Click OK!

(Everything you will change in here will take effect at next boot, not earlier! 
At the end, if you have configured everything to your needs and leave the 
Tinker Board Configuration you will be asked to reboot. Do it then!)

First configure your System!

Here you can change your password, the Hostname and so on...!
I would suggest to deactivate the Auto login here!
If you don't change it, your  Tinkerboard S will not ask for a password and boots directly to you desktop like it did the first time!
Everything else should be left like it was, specially Boot:  To Desktop or you get in trouble next time booting  your board!

Next you can configure your Interfaces!
Configure that for your needs!
I have deactivated SSH here because I don't need it, and then it's a security problem 
because others can log in to your board over Ethernet!!!

In Advanced I left everything like it is!

Localisation is interesting and I do some unusual things in here!

With Local you can set the language systemwide!
Set the Timezone to your TimezoneHuh

I don't touch Keyboard, ...never again. But there is an other way, later!

WiFi Country is important to set, because in some Countrys it is illegal to use some Channels/Frequencies!

And now if you set everything as you need, and checked it ...

click on OK!

Now you will be asked to reboot,

and do it!

8.)
After reboot  your TinkerOS will ask you for a password for the user "linaro"!
Give him the password you have choosen before.
If you haven't changed the password it is the default one "linaro"!

(Yes, it is possible to change the username from  "linaro" to your name!
But that's "finetuning"... maybe later! Also the thing with the temperature in the panel.
I'm shure you will find out later by yourself!  Angel ) 

9.)
You should now arrive in your new  TinkerOS system in your language, ...but wrong Keyboard! Sad

Do a right click on the Taskbar click on Panel Settings

Then click on Panel Applets and then Add,

and add the Keyboard Layout Handler plugin to your Panel and then click on its Preferences.

On the right side of the new window deactivate Keep system layouts.

Now, on the left side of the window, you can add your Keyboard Layouts as you need it!

(I like it more this way because it's now easier to toggle between different Keyboards like I often do, 
and I really don't like the other windows!)

10.)
Near the lower right corner you will find a WiFi-Symbol, click on it and put in your WiFi-Password!
(Right now I'm not so shure any more, did I configured it that late??? Have to try it soon!  Blush )

11..)
Update your System!
Synaptic and the Chromium-Issue!

That's why I connect as late as possible to the net. The System is not updatet now!  Angry

And because of the Chromium-Issue we have to do that carefully!

Click on the LXDE-Symbol in the left lower corner, then on Preferences, and then start the Synaptic Package Manager.

Authenticate with your password.

An Information window comes up... and go on.
Now there is a Search-Symbol right in the upper middle of the window. Click on it and search for "chromium"!

Mark chromium by clicking on it's line, and then click on Package near the left upper corner of the window.

Now activate "Lock Version"!

This prevents chromium from being updated, because the newer versions will not work, means not even start!
I hope this will be fixed soon!

12.)
Now, let's Update the System!

In the Synaptic Package Manager click on the orange Reload-Button near the left upper corner!

Now a little window pops up, and the system looks what packages are installed on the Tinkerboard S 
and if it can find newer one on the distribution-servers.

It makes a list of files wich can be updated, deleted, moved and so on.
But not for chromium!

If this is done and the little window is closed, click on the Mark All Upgrades-Button,
and if there were any packages to update the right Apply-Button becomes clickable!

If t is so, click on it!

All the packages that can be updated will be Downloaded, unpacked and put on the right place!
And, after a few minutes, if all that is done you have a  new fresh system.

(This is a process you should do every time after booting your system to work with up-to-date system!)

13.)
Uhhhu, thirteen! Now let's see if chromium works!?
It should! It's an older version, but all the other packages are updated.

And now, have fun!

************************************************************************************************
I did this mostly out of the memory between my ears, and that's why I'm sure there will be many 
mitakes. Also I am German and my English is weak! I'm sorry for that!

It's made for beginners and also children! I hope it's a bit helpful for them.

To the Geeks; please don't start shitstorming now, but help is preferred and, as you can see, needed!!!! 

*************************************************************************************************

Greetings 

Grulle

Above 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Grulle's post:
  • gregb49
(10-16-2018, 03:41 PM)Grulle Wrote: Here I try to describe my way to install TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.7 on  Tinkerboard S eMMC and the configuration to a usefull desktop-replacement with "non english" language! ...
Thanks Grulle, very comprehensive.

I had problems with the TinkerOS Debian V2.0.7 and gave up on it as a desktop OS. I think the main problems were to do with video playback. KODI would not load and others were either very slow or downright flaky.  (I'm not a Chromium user.) 

I found that Mikerr's modification of TinkerOS worked out of the box, except for a sound over HDMI issue, soon resolved. See this thread.

Is there any reason why you didn't use Mikerr's image? I'm interested as I'm trying to discover which ARM based SBC and OS is best for use as a desktop computer.

I imagine most of us desktop users want a browser, mail client, Office suite, PDF reader, multimedia playback, photo editor, file manager, package manager and possibly a cloud storage manager. (I am a user not a coder)
(10-16-2018, 03:41 PM)Grulle Wrote: Hello World!

Here I try to describe my way to install TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.7 on  Tinkerboard S eMMC
and the configuration to a usefull desktop-replacement with "non english" language!

You might ask yourself why ... because I'm not naturaly english speaking and I had to fiddle arround a bit
to get this done with the Language setting, Keyboard, Updates and at least the Chromium Issue 

I own three of this boards, tried out different operating systems... also Armbian in it's differen flavours.
I came back to TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.7  because for me it's most usable, as you will see, nearly out of the Box.

1.)
Install Etcher!
It is easy to use and prevents you from overwrite your harddisk, what could easily  be happend with other tools like dd!
But, anyway be careful!!!

2.)
Download the TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.7 from the Asus Download Site

Check the MD5-Summs, and check them from the original Asus-Site! I know it' a bit hard to find...!
If you don't now how to check them, learn it, that's important!!!

Don't trust me! Angry

MD5:
bbe7fe5b56c5bb4ce3ebd057b939ebda (zip)
1a723676d5e977096a8fbabf8ef06bc4 (img)

3.)
Take your brandnew Tinkerboard S, leave the Jumper in it's default parking position.

Don't forget to put the little hedgehog-locking-cooling-thing on the CPU! (For the beginning!)

And then connect the Tinkerboard S with it's  micro-USB-Port to your Computer's USB-Port
with a USB to micro-USB Cable.
After a short time it will be recognised as a USB-Drive.

4.)
Open Etcher and select the Image you have downloaded before!
(Etcher can unzip this file 'on the fly', but if you have any problems, or want to change some
things before you flash it , unzip it before flashing!)

If you have selected the Image Etcher is asking you to select a Drive,
and normally Etcher offers the right on. But check that, should be 15.something GB!!
Don't choose the 500GB disk! Sad

It is helpfull if you have just one USB-Drive connected to your Computer!

And now, if you checked everything again , start flashing!

This will take some minutes, and if it's ready Etcher will automatically verify the data it has flashed.

Hopefully you will get the message Flashing Completed!

Close Etcher, unmount your both USB-Drives. Yes two, because Etcher build two partitons on the
Tinkerboard S eMMC!

And then disconnect the Tinkerboard S from your Computer!

Connect your Tinkerboard S to an HDMI-Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse and  Audio if
you use the 3.5mm Audio-Jack.
I find out it is better not to connect SSD's and other devices, you might add them later.
I do not connect the Ethernet-Cable at this time!

6.)
Power up your Tinkerbard S with a good Power Supply Unit with 5 V and minimum 2.5 A, but better 3 A or more.

I never used something else than the micro-USB-Port to power the Tinkerboard S!

My PSU is adjustable and I power the board with 5.15 V. It can power the board to a maximum of 5 A.

(This is a maximum of over 15 Watts. The board will never need so much Energy, but keep in mind to have enough Headroom
for short peaks
I never had problems with SSD's but if the motor of a "old" harddrive will start to spinn...! 
For a short while it will need a few watts more!
If you have problems, use an external-powered USB-Hub and connect such devices to it, but not now! 
Also if you want to charge your mobile-phone!  Tongue )

If you kept all that in mind, don't be shy, and power it up!

7.)
If you successfully booted your board the first thing you shold do is to configure it a bit!

Give him a new Password and so!

Therefore click on the LXDE-Symbol in the lower left corner
move up the menu to Preferences and in the new upcoming menu click on Tinker Board Configuration.

The Tinker Board Configuration window welcomes you and gives you some helpful information.
Click OK!

(Everything you will change in here will take effect at next boot, not earlier! 
At the end, if you have configured everything to your needs and leave the 
Tinker Board Configuration you will be asked to reboot. Do it then!)

First configure your System!

Here you can change your password, the Hostname and so on...!
I would suggest to deactivate the Auto login here!
If you don't change it, your  Tinkerboard S will not ask for a password and boots directly to you desktop like it did the first time!
Everything else should be left like it was, specially Boot:  To Desktop or you get in trouble next time booting  your board!

Next you can configure your Interfaces!
Configure that for your needs!
I have deactivated SSH here because I don't need it, and then it's a security problem 
because others can log in to your board over Ethernet!!!

In Advanced I left everything like it is!

Localisation is interesting and I do some unusual things in here!

With Local you can set the language systemwide!
Set the Timezone to your TimezoneHuh

I don't touch Keyboard, ...never again. But there is an other way, later!

WiFi Country is important to set, because in some Countrys it is illegal to use some Channels/Frequencies!

And now if you set everything as you need, and checked it ...

click on OK!

Now you will be asked to reboot,

and do it!

8.)
After reboot  your TinkerOS will ask you for a password for the user "linaro"!
Give him the password you have choosen before.
If you haven't changed the password it is the default one "linaro"!

(Yes, it is possible to change the username from  "linaro" to your name!
But that's "finetuning"... maybe later! Also the thing with the temperature in the panel.
I'm shure you will find out later by yourself!  Angel ) 

9.)
You should now arrive in your new  TinkerOS system in your language, ...but wrong Keyboard! Sad

Do a right click on the Taskbar click on Panel Settings

Then click on Panel Applets and then Add,

and add the Keyboard Layout Handler plugin to your Panel and then click on its Preferences.

On the right side of the new window deactivate Keep system layouts.

Now, on the left side of the window, you can add your Keyboard Layouts as you need it!

(I like it more this way because it's now easier to toggle between different Keyboards like I often do, 
and I really don't like the other windows!)

10.)
Near the lower right corner you will find a WiFi-Symbol, click on it and put in your WiFi-Password!
(Right now I'm not so shure any more, did I configured it that late??? Have to try it soon!  Blush )

11..)
Update your System!
Synaptic and the Chromium-Issue!

That's why I connect as late as possible to the net. The System is not updatet now!  Angry

And because of the Chromium-Issue we have to do that carefully!

Click on the LXDE-Symbol in the left lower corner, then on Preferences, and then start the Synaptic Package Manager.

Authenticate with your password.

An Information window comes up... and go on.
Now there is a Search-Symbol right in the upper middle of the window. Click on it and search for "chromium"!

Mark chromium by clicking on it's line, and then click on Package near the left upper corner of the window.

Now activate "Lock Version"!

This prevents chromium from being updated, because the newer versions will not work, means not even start!
I hope this will be fixed soon!

12.)
Now, let's Update the System!

In the Synaptic Package Manager click on the orange Reload-Button near the left upper corner!

Now a little window pops up, and the system looks what packages are installed on the Tinkerboard S 
and if it can find newer one on the distribution-servers.

It makes a list of files wich can be updated, deleted, moved and so on.
But not for chromium!

If this is done and the little window is closed, click on the Mark All Upgrades-Button,
and if there were any packages to update the right Apply-Button becomes clickable!

If t is so, click on it!

All the packages that can be updated will be Downloaded, unpacked and put on the right place!
And, after a few minutes, if all that is done you have a  new fresh system.

(This is a process you should do every time after booting your system to work with up-to-date system!)

13.)
Uhhhu, thirteen! Now let's see if chromium works!?
It should! It's an older version, but all the other packages are updated.

And now, have fun!

************************************************************************************************
I did this mostly out of the memory between my ears, and that's why I'm sure there will be many 
mitakes. Also I am German and my English is weak! I'm sorry for that!

It's made for beginners and also children! I hope it's a bit helpful for them.

To the Geeks; please don't start shitstorming now, but help is preferred and, as you can see, needed!!!! 

*************************************************************************************************

Greetings 

Grulle

Above 

Good steps in good English.  
I am waiting for my first Tinker board S in the mail and will be installing.

Last step...

Backup your application configurations:

You can copy your complete user account to a backup. The hidden folders contain each 
application configurations, like .mozilla, .config/chromium, .kodi and so on. Chromium/Firefox will have all of the bookmarks addons, and settings.
If you have a backup copy from your older account, copy them to the new account and make sure they begin with a dot.  
Try coping the whole user account to the new user home account or copy individual hidden folders.
Then install each application.  This will prevent a lot of re-configuration.
Ich danke dir sehr Grulle!
Great writeup !
You may add to backup the u-boot
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin