This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hauppauge WinTV-DualHD driver
Hi all,

I'm hoping to utilise my TInkerboard as a Plex server, with a Hauppauge DualHD USB stick, so that I can stream TV over the network. This was something I was attempting to achieve with my Raspberry Pi 3, but it's just not strong enough to carry out this task.

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get the device to work. The device I'm using is:
Code:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2040:0265 Hauppauge

My kernel:
Code:
Linux tinkerboard 4.4.103+ #1 SMP Fri Jun 22 16:14:49 CST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Using this page: linuxtv [DOT] org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-dualHD

This says the chip inside is a Silicon Labs Si2168-B40 (Demodulator), and the Tuner is Si2157-A30. 

Meanwhile on my Pi:
Kernel:
Code:
Linux pi3 4.14.71-v7+ #1145 SMP Fri Sep 21 15:38:35 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

With the Pi I was able to just drop the em28xx firmware into the /lib/firmware folder. Though I'm possibly forgetting some steps I'll admit.

I tried googling around and I came across this:
linuxtv [DOT] org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

After compiling and installing (the basic instructions), I have managed to get the green light to light up on the DualTV stick, but Plex still doesn't see the device.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for breaking the links, but apparently clickable links aren't allowed.
hi FreakShow!,

maybe this will help...
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/s....html#plex

I got this usb tv tuner working with windows 10 and VLC streaming over rtp ]]]]]......
using this from windows cmd...
Code:
cmd /c vlc.exe -vvv dvb-t:// :dvb-adapter=0 :dvb-frequency=490000000 :dvb-bandwidth=8 :program=4352 :sout=#rtp{dst=239.255.1.1,port=5004,mux=ts,sap,name=BBC_News24,ttl=1} :meta-title="BBC News24" :sout-keep

then just open rtp://@239.255.1.1:5004 from any network video streamer... 
for kodi.. create .strm file with rtp://@239.255.1.1:5004 inside.. 
then put file in folder and add folder under videos in kodi..... ]]]]]]].......

would love to know how to do this for 
TinkerOS_Debian V2.0.7 or 
TinkerOS_Android 7 Nougat V14.1.2.50
-------------------------------
hope this helps
k.
------
ps.. I'm in UK.. so dvb feq for OTA ch bbc news24...
Sadly it doesn't help. Those PPAs can be added, but trying to install the two packages it fails expecting kernel 4.15, which isn't available as far as I can see on the Tinkerboard . Seems from 4.14 there's a jump straight to 4.18 with the development kernel .

I'm not minding if it were to work on Ubuntu or Debian, I've tried both so far using Armbian, tinkerOs 2.07 and not got anywhere .
hi FreakShow!,
sorry to hear that..
I was hopping drivers would be already included in kernel...[[[..

I first saw this youtube video.. 

this got me interested in Multicast TV servers ]]]...

hope you get it to wok
----------------------
best of luck
k.
If you write down what did you tried and where it failed we might be able to help you. I am not familiar with this installation, but our system is prepared for such cases.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
(10-23-2018, 05:29 AM)igorpec Wrote: If you write down what did you tried and where it failed we might be able to help you. I am not familiar with this installation, but our system is prepared for such cases.

Well I guess most of my OP was paraphrasing, but here's my steps:

From this site: linuxtv [DOT] org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-dualHD#Making_it_Work

I download the dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw firmware for the demodulator, placing it in the /lib/firmware folder.

According to the section below that, in Kernel 4.7 I should have one tuner working, and both tuners should have worked since Kernel 4.11. 

So I switched my tinkerboard to run Armbian, which has kernel 4.14 working. But installing the firmware as above does not help.

I then followed the instructions on this page:
linuxtv [DOT] org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

Specifically:
Code:
git clone git://linuxtv.org/media_build.git
[/size]
(alternately to get only the latest revision without history)
git clone --depth=1 git://linuxtv.org/media_build.git
cd media_build
./build
[size=small]

After following that, the green power LED lights up on the Hauppauge device. However Plex does not register that the tuner is available when trying to set up the DVR section.
You gave up too quickly. It can't work because support is not enabled:
https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/ma...nfig#L3011

You need to rebuild kernel with this enabled and it should start working ... or send a PR to our build script with changes to the kernel configuration (it could be more than just this) and update to our nightly build which is usually done within 24-48h.
You should consider TinkerOS as monolithic kernel, only one module available. Whether you need additional modules you need to recompile its kernel.
You might try to install Archlinuxarm, with the latest kernel. It seems to me that most of the hardware working, just a problem with bluetooth, not clearly defined a mainline yet.
To install, see my guidelines. Consider that is pretty experimental, so don't blame, but cooperate Big Grin.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(10-23-2018, 07:19 PM)igorpec Wrote: You gave up too quickly. It can't work because support is not enabled:
https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/ma...nfig#L3011

You need to rebuild kernel with this enabled and it should start working ... or send a PR to our build script with changes to the kernel configuration (it could be more than just this) and update to our nightly build which is usually done within 24-48h.

OOh, good spot. So before putting a PR in I wanted to confirm that it worked. I've created a VM with Ubuntu 18.04 and followed the tutorial on compiling the build. I selected the drivers I needed (and made no other changes) and had this error:

Quote:  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rtl8812au/hal/phydm/rtl8821a/phydm_rtl8821a.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rtl8812au/hal/phydm/rtl8821a/phydm_iqk_8821a_ce.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rtl8812au/platform/platform_ops.o
  CC [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rtl8812au/core/rtw_mp.o
  LD [M]  drivers/net/wireless/rtl8812au/8812au.o
  AR      drivers/net/wireless/built-in.o
  AR      drivers/net/built-in.o
Makefile:1039: recipe for target 'drivers' failed
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
[ error ] ERROR in function compile_kernel [ compilation.sh:366 ]
[ error ] Kernel was not built [ @host ]
[ o.k. ] Process terminated
test@tinkerbuilder:~/armbian/build$

I'm not sure on the structure of this, such as where the Makefile is or the compilation.sh script is.
Quote:I'm not sure on the structure of this, such as where the Makefile is or the compilation.sh script is.

In case of build errors, you need to supply full logs that someone is able to debug. Kernel is building in parallel and the real errors in somewhere in between ... Here you have a kernel, build with this option enabled: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YbEccS...IbmJjoKQfx

Download, unpack zip, copy debs to the machine and install with dpkg -i *.deb