This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Bionic version of Armbian Media Script
So the X server that this script installs is what arranges OpenGL ES acceleration? By default all OpenGL (including ES) is rendered in software? It's not explicit in the description.
Looking a bit around, I found Mesa seems to be able to do OpenGL directly with the Lima driver. Has this been considered for Armbian as well?
(11-13-2018, 08:57 PM)jschwart Wrote: So the X server that this script installs is what arranges OpenGL ES acceleration? By default all OpenGL (including ES) is rendered in software? It's not explicit in the description.

Sorry, I haven't checked this forum in al ong time.

The script will install an X server capable of creating native OpenGL-ES canvases, same as TinkerOS. But it can also install an OpenGL wrapper, that will work almost as good as native in many apps. Usage is described in the script's documentation.

(11-17-2018, 09:48 AM)jschwart Wrote: Looking a bit around, I found Mesa seems to be able to do OpenGL directly with the Lima driver. Has this been considered for Armbian as well?

Lima driver is still not mature enough IMO. I think the gl4es wrapper is a better option as of today.
(12-27-2018, 03:43 PM)JMCC Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 08:57 PM)jschwart Wrote: So the X server that this script installs is what arranges OpenGL ES acceleration? By default all OpenGL (including ES) is rendered in software? It's not explicit in the description.

Sorry, I haven't checked this forum in al ong time.

The script will install an X server capable of creating native OpenGL-ES canvases, same as TinkerOS. But it can also install an OpenGL wrapper, that will work almost as good as native in many apps. Usage is described in the script's documentation.

(11-17-2018, 09:48 AM)jschwart Wrote: Looking a bit around, I found Mesa seems to be able to do OpenGL directly with the Lima driver. Has this been considered for Armbian as well?

Lima driver is still not mature enough IMO. I think the gl4es wrapper is a better option as of today.
I didn't know that TinkerOS has OpenGL ES acceleration by default while Armbian does it all in software by default. Also good to know that the wrapper way seems more mature for now. I guess the wrapper could also be used with TinkerOS. Thanks a lot for all the info!
(12-27-2018, 10:20 PM)jschwart Wrote: [quote="JMCC" pid='9323' dateline='1545925393']
[quote="jschwart" pid='8733' dateline='1542142621']
So the X server that this script installs is what arranges OpenGL ES acceleration? By default all OpenGL (including ES) is rendered in software? It's not explicit in the description.

Yes, that is correct. TinkerOS has OpenGL ES accel installed by default, and if you want the GL wrapper, you need to compile and install it by yourself. Armbian, on the other hand, does not have HW accel by default, you need to run the script. It will automatically install OpenGL ES, the GL wrapper, and other features (like an alternate version of the mali library, that will allow MPV and Kodi to use GBM acceleration, both of which are also installed by the script)