This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My history with the operating systems for the Tinker Board S
Hello,

I think it is my first post on this site. I bought a Tinker Board S this summer after bought a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ for home wireless routing with Linux. Things have been long for me to understand that the eMMc is only seen with the Uboot version for the Tinker Board S. My main problem with the Official TinkerOS version v2.0.8 and v2.0.7 is that the Hdmi and the Usb audio sound outputs are noisy. There are some other crapy sounds than the expected output in my headsets. I try unsuccesfully to resample the audio from 44100 to 48000 and higher but I never been able to have a decent audio playback with this OS unless I use Bluetooth or an other external sound card. All other components work well.

I than try the Official Android version for the Tinker Board S and the one made by a user with Play Store. They work normally, all components work incuding Hdmi and Usb audio sound output. It have reboot without my permission while configuring it, but it's enough stable. Like mentionned here all eMMc capacity is not seen by Android.

Because I am not a fan of Android, I then try Armbian, Ubuntu, Volumio, FlintOS (chromeOS), DietPi and some other operating systems for the Tinker Board S or not S mentionned in  Latest OS Downloads. Only Volumio give me a decent Hdmi and Usb audio sound output. The problem with Volumio is that the Bluetooth do not work. All other oses I try have the same Hdmi and Usb audio problem than the Official TinkerOS. I have not been able to boot FlintOS on the Tinker Board S and PC, there was a password problem or it was not booting properly.

Finaly, I tried http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Linu...Debian.zip. As Uboot in this image do not support the eMMc of the Tinker Board S I had to boot from the sd card. To my surprise the Hdmi and the Usb audio sound output are good and all other components work too, including Bluetooth. I try to upgrade to the testing branch as it was by default included in the Apt repositories. Apt had some dependancy problems that I did'nt want to resolv so, I just reinstall the image, completely configure and personnalise the system and the desktop and made a backup. I than upgraded from Jessie to Stretch successfully including the Ubuntu overlay repository. So I am now on

cat /etc/debian_version

but the kernel version have not change

uname -a

Linux tinkb 4.4.16-00097-gc9727d4-dirty #23 SMP Fri Jan 13 12:29:56 CST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Note that Gpm, the copy and paste utility on console, do not work in all Linux operating systems I have try. There is no /dev/input/mice device file node and other nodes in the /dev/input/ directory do not allow me to control the mouse in the console. As mentionned here, Autofs do not work in most Linux oses because Autofs user space need version 5 of the Autofs kernel support. Some software versions like Firefox need to be pin in a specific branch to work, stable or testing.

So that's close to all for me about my experience with the Tinker Board S or not S supporting oses. I could probably use the eMMc with my actual Debian Stretch installation from the TinkerOS_Debian.zip image if I want to tweak Uboot but, I don't think that performances will be a lot better than with a good sd card. I put the Official TinkerOS in the eMMc instead so, I can work in chroot in the Debian sd card from the eMMc TinkerOS.

All in all, I am happy now with the Tinker Board S after a long run. I cross my fingers to stay happy. Rolleyes 

If you have suggestions, you are welcome.
(11-28-2018, 04:10 PM)Ludicien Wrote: Hello,

I think it is my first post on this site. I bought a Tinker Board S this summer after bought a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ for home wireless routing with Linux. Things have been long for me to understand that the eMMc is only seen with the Uboot version for the Tinker Board S. My main problem with the Official TinkerOS version v2.0.8 and v2.0.7 is that the Hdmi and the Usb audio sound outputs are noisy. There are some other crapy sounds than the expected output in my headsets. I try unsuccesfully to resample the audio from 44100 to 48000 and higher but I never been able to have a decent audio playback with this OS unless I use Bluetooth or an other external sound card. All other components work well.

I than try the Official Android version for the Tinker Board S and the one made by a user with Play Store. They work normally, all components work incuding Hdmi and Usb audio sound output. It have reboot without my permission while configuring it, but it's enough stable. Like mentionned here all eMMc capacity is not seen by Android.

Because I am not a fan of Android, I then try Armbian, Ubuntu, Volumio, FlintOS (chromeOS), DietPi and some other operating systems for the Tinker Board S or not S mentionned in  Latest OS Downloads. Only Volumio give me a decent Hdmi and Usb audio sound output. The problem with Volumio is that the Bluetooth do not work. All other oses I try have the same Hdmi and Usb audio problem than the Official TinkerOS. I have not been able to boot FlintOS on the Tinker Board S and PC, there was a password problem or it was not booting properly.

Finaly, I tried http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Linu...Debian.zip. As Uboot in this image do not support the eMMc of the Tinker Board S I had to boot from the sd card. To my surprise the Hdmi and the Usb audio sound output are good and all other components work too, including Bluetooth. I try to upgrade to the testing branch as it was by default included in the Apt repositories. Apt had some dependancy problems that I did'nt want to resolv so, I just reinstall the image, completely configure and personnalise the system and the desktop and made a backup. I than upgraded from Jessie to Stretch successfully including the Ubuntu overlay repository. So I am now on

cat /etc/debian_version

but the kernel version have not change

uname -a

Linux tinkb 4.4.16-00097-gc9727d4-dirty #23 SMP Fri Jan 13 12:29:56 CST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Note that Gpm, the copy and paste utility on console, do not work in all Linux operating systems I have try. There is no /dev/input/mice device file node and other nodes in the /dev/input/ directory do not allow me to control the mouse in the console. As mentionned here, Autofs do not work in most Linux oses because Autofs user space need version 5 of the Autofs kernel support. Some software versions like Firefox need to be pin in a specific branch to work, stable or testing.

So that's close to all for me about my experience with the Tinker Board S or not S supporting oses. I could probably use the eMMc with my actual Debian Stretch installation from the TinkerOS_Debian.zip image if I want to tweak Uboot but, I don't think that performances will be a lot better than with a good sd card. I put the Official TinkerOS in the eMMc instead so, I can work in chroot in the Debian sd card from the eMMc TinkerOS.

All in all, I am happy now with the Tinker Board S after a long run. I cross my fingers to stay happy. Rolleyes 

If you have suggestions, you are welcome.

I bought one and had zero  problems.
I used tinkerboardOS 2.0.7 and etcher.
It found the emmc and installed just fine.
HDMI Audio is perfect.
Don't us VLC.  It sounds crappy.  I used smplayer.
No freeze ups.  It's just been wonderful.
Quote:but the kernel version have not change

Armbian provides kernel 4.4, 4.14 and 4.19 which have different hardware support. And a build system. All others have the one and only (static) stock kernel and no build system. I never attached any audio device to Tinkerboard so I don't know how is with the audio. AFAIK it works. You just need to select a proper device: analogue, hdmi, i2s, ...
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
(11-28-2018, 04:10 PM)Ludicien Wrote: I bought a Tinker Board S this summer
Dante wrote "leave all hope, oh you who come"
Forgive my pessimism, but I did the same whit a huge hope that TBS was better than RPi and I failed.

So I've tried almost, like you, Linaro, DietPi, Elar System, Armbian and Archlinuxarm. I'm still trying to find which one will give a satisfactory result.

But for your case I think you may try to use Armbian u-boot and load TinkerOS_Debian. If you spare some time, I wrote a little about eMMC, and read this. Perhaps even all discussion might lead some interest of yours.

Let me tell, folks, the developers have hard time to find how a hardware works, because it isn't well documented or hidden by the manufacturers. This is the common scenario at kernel.org and FOSS.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(11-28-2018, 04:10 PM)Ludicien Wrote: Hello,

Hi, Ludicien
    We want to check this issue but don't know how to duplicate. Could you give us the simplest step to duplicate this issue ?
    For example: what application do you use to play the audio, what audio device do you use, do you run any other applications while you playing the audio ... etc
    It can speed up we find out the root cause, thank you.

B/R
james
With TinkerOS 2.0.7 I also have issues with VLC. When streaming radio (MP3 stream) from time to time the audio has a stutter/skip. With Armbian Bionic, VLC works fine. I only tried this with HDMI. My Tinker Board S is connected to a Samsung H5570 TV and the TV is connected to a Sony STR-DH510 amplifier (with another HDMI cable). I once tried to connect the Tinker Board S HDMI to the amplifier directly, but then the audio did not work (the video did work however, it was passed through by the amp to the TV properly).
(11-29-2018, 10:02 PM)jschwart Wrote: With TinkerOS 2.0.7 I also have issues with VLC. When streaming radio (MP3 stream) from time to time the audio has a stutter/skip. With Armbian Bionic, VLC works fine. I only tried this with HDMI. My Tinker Board S is connected to a Samsung H5570 TV and the TV is connected to a Sony STR-DH510 amplifier (with another HDMI cable). I once tried to connect the Tinker Board S HDMI to the amplifier directly, but then the audio did not work (the video did work however, it was passed through by the amp to the TV properly).

Dear, jschwart
    Can you provide the radio(MP3) streaming address ? We can try to duplicate.
(11-30-2018, 01:24 AM)jamess Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 10:02 PM)jschwart Wrote: With TinkerOS 2.0.7 I also have issues with VLC. When streaming radio (MP3 stream) from time to time the audio has a stutter/skip. With Armbian Bionic, VLC works fine. I only tried this with HDMI. My Tinker Board S is connected to a Samsung H5570 TV and the TV is connected to a Sony STR-DH510 amplifier (with another HDMI cable). I once tried to connect the Tinker Board S HDMI to the amplifier directly, but then the audio did not work (the video did work however, it was passed through by the amp to the TV properly).

Dear, jschwart
    Can you provide the radio(MP3) streaming address ? We can try to duplicate.

Download any video or audio from youtube and play it with VLC.  It always skips.  More so with mp3 files.
I have been using smplayer.
So, for me VLC skips when playing mp3 audio only files and some times with video with audio mp4.
Youtube or streaming for me is no problem.  Just with VLC.
I use HDMI only and TinkerboardOS207.

Some mp4 files are converted to mp3 using audacity.
However, I have never found a mp3 file that doesn't skip with vlc.
I tried different adjustments with vlc with no fix.
(11-30-2018, 01:24 AM)jamess Wrote: Can you provide the radio(MP3) streaming address ? We can try to duplicate.

Here are a few playlists that have MP3 streams:
http://www.hitfm.ua/HitFM.m3u
http://www.rusradio.ua/RusRadio.m3u
http://www.radioroks.ua/RadioROKS.m3u
http://www.kissfm.ua/KissFM.m3u
http://www.radiomelodia.ua/RadioMelodia.m3u
http://www.radiorelax.ua/RadioRelax.m3u

The playlists are intertwined with streams with another encoding, but I just pick the MP3 ones (odd numbers). I think I had this issue with any stream I tried, you could just pick one you prefer for testing.

You can also play these streams through Chromium, see for instance:
https://www.hitfm.ua/player/
(at the top you can choose the other stations)

In Chromium the streams do play correctly.
If you want to use a Tinkerboard as a media player, try LibreELEC: https://libreelec.tv
New version out now, 8.90.009 (Kodi 18 RC2): http://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-T...288.img.gz