This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing on/off switch?
Hello everyone, I did a bit of searching around really couldnt find a good tutorial on how to properly install an on/off switch on the TB. I currently use mine as a desktop and I'd rather not (if I can avoid it) have to constantly plug and unplug the USB power in order to start it up after I gracefully shut the OS down. Hell, I'd be happy with just an on switch that I could solder/pin into the GPIO to just gracefully turn the TB on.

Any suggestions?
The software power switch is placed in between the micro USB port and the HDMI port.
    The two pins pointed by the arrows.
So a push button might suffice.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(12-05-2018, 03:49 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: The software power switch is placed in between the micro USB port and the HDMI port.
The two pins pointed by the arrows.
So a push button might suffice.

Hmmm interesting! Do you know of a good button to buy? Will I need to do any coding on the OS for it to work? Could I get the TB to turn on with this? Thanks! I'm going to try and get this to work.

I'm scoping out two pronged power buttons.. But I just realized that my jumper is in the parked position for my eMMC boot.. (sitting horizontally against HDMI). How will I plug the power button in when one of the pins is already taken up?
you will not need the jumper.tbs will boot from eMMC
(12-05-2018, 06:47 AM)Silk Wrote: But I just realized that my jumper is in the parked position for my eMMC boot.. (sitting horizontally against HDMI). How will I plug the power button in when one of the pins is already taken up?
Parked mode has no effect as no jumper at all. It's there just to keep your jumper on board. So you may plug only one pin and leave the two pins free.

The button size might be one which stands for 10 V at 100 mAmps or less.
[Image: 51SZ%2B17yx0L._SX385_.jpg]
Such as one of these above.
(12-05-2018, 08:45 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 06:47 AM)Silk Wrote: But I just realized that my jumper is in the parked position for my eMMC boot.. (sitting horizontally against HDMI). How will I plug the power button in when one of the pins is already taken up?
Parked mode has no effect as no jumper at all. It's there just to keep your jumper on board. So you may plug only one pin and leave the two pins free.

I'm actually looking into buying this one which I think will work. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Power-cable-...SwDwlZcRWk

Will I need to do some coding on the console to do gracefully startups and shutdowns via the new button?
(12-05-2018, 02:49 PM)Silk Wrote: I'm actually looking into buying this one which I think will work.
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
My opinion is that such switch is hard to be placed on a panel board. Also the wire length is rather too much. It might pick up some interference and suddenly switch the machine off. Better if the length remains within 8~10 inches (200~250 mm).
Silk Wrote:Will I need to do some coding on the console to do gracefully startups and shutdowns via the new button?
Well, the off state is not a full-off, it is just turned in a very low consumption stand-by. Then I suppose that any triggering on the switch or GPIOs will be operational and detectable. But such switching seems has not options to inform the system about powering down.
Well, I'm not sure whether there's an option to catch such event and prepare a particular powering down.
You may consider such contact similar the power switch on a smartphone. I presume that Android may act as if it is such switch.
(12-05-2018, 03:45 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 02:49 PM)Silk Wrote: I'm actually looking into buying this one which I think will work.
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
My opinion is that such switch is hard to be placed on a panel board. Also the wire length is rather too much. It might pick up some interference and suddenly switch the machine off. Better if the length remains within 8~10 inches (200~250 mm).
Silk Wrote:Will I need to do some coding on the console to do gracefully startups and shutdowns via the new button?
Well, the off state is not a full-off, it is just turned in a very low consumption stand-by. Then I suppose that any triggering on the switch or GPIOs will be operational and detectable. But such switching seems has not options to inform the system about powering down.
Well, I'm not sure whether there's an option to catch such event and prepare a particular powering down.
You may consider such contact similar the power switch on a smartphone. I presume that Android may act as if it is such switch.

Heh, I was actually planning on cutting the cable down to like 2" and electric taping it back together lol. Should I be able to power the tinkerboard back on by pressing this button once I turn it off gracefully with the shutdown option in the OS? That's realistically all I need lol

Thanks for the info BTW!
(12-05-2018, 06:34 PM)Silk Wrote: Heh, I was actually planning on cutting the cable down to like 2"
Good, but it lack of style. If I were you, I cut, solder the joint and insulate it by shrinking sleeves.

(12-05-2018, 06:34 PM)Silk Wrote: Should I be able to power the tinkerboard back on by pressing this button once I turn it off gracefully with the shutdown option in the OS?

It does it, I tested it Wink
(12-05-2018, 02:49 PM)Silk Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 08:45 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote:

I'm actually looking into buying this one which I think will work. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Power-cable-...SwDwlZcRWk

Will I need to do some coding on the console to do gracefully startups and shutdowns via the new button?

Amazing, thank you sir! You've answered all of my questions! I'll be buying that switch and getting to work! :-)