This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stable Firefox version?
Chromium runs way too hot on the tinkerboard.. Probably because Chrome is a RAM and memory destroying beast.

I tried calling in the current Firefox ESR package, but it doesn't work. Anyone know of a good working version?

I'm planning wgetting the version from here:
https://snapshot.debian.org/package/firefox-esr/

Chromium runs hot and because of that makes Youtube videos slow due to CPU throttling.
You should add a fan to the poor provided heatsink. It looks pretty undersized. If you search on the forum you might find a discussion about fan.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(12-07-2018, 02:09 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: You should add a fan to the poor provided heatsink. It looks pretty undersized. If you search on the forum you might find a discussion about fan.

Yeah I purchased the zebra black case with the fan and I'm just waiting on the delivery.
(12-07-2018, 04:57 PM)Silk Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 02:09 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: You should add a fan to the poor provided heatsink. It looks pretty undersized. If you search on the forum you might find a discussion about fan.

Yeah I purchased the zebra black case with the fan and I'm just waiting on the delivery.

I threw away my heatsink some time ago and put the tinkerboard in an aluminium case with a little fan. Using TinkerOS 2.07 I tested a 25-minute Hisense promotion video (1080 @60)with Chromium 67and Youtube. It took about 10 minutes for he temperature to rise from around 50 degrees Celsius to 65. Then it moved up and down between 65 and under 70 degrees (full screen). Moving the mouse in order to see the timeline gave it a jump up of 2 to 3 degrees. The video was still very smooth. Then I tried a local HD video in VLC and the temperature rose to 70 degrees immediately. After that I used the built-in media player and it played the same video at around 51 degrees. I think, here you can see, that the hardware video acceleration does not work in chromium (h264ify does not compensate for the weakness) and it does not work in VLC.

And with TinkerOS 2.08 this has even become worse.
(12-07-2018, 09:16 PM)mikeS Wrote:

I threw away my heatsink some time ago and put the tinkerboard in an aluminium case with a little fan. Using TinkerOS 2.07 I tested a 25-minute Hisense promotion video (1080 @60)with Chromium 67and Youtube. It took about 10 minutes for he temperature to rise from around 50 degrees Celsius to 65. Then it moved up and down between 65 and under 70 degrees (full screen). Moving the mouse in order to see the timeline gave it a jump up of 2 to 3 degrees. The video was still very smooth. Then I tried a local HD video in VLC and the temperature rose to 70 degrees immediately. After that I used the built-in media player and it played the same video at around 51 degrees. I think, here you can see, that the hardware video acceleration does not work in chromium (h264ify does not compensate for the weakness) and it does not work in VLC.

Yes, Chromium is a mess and honestly I just want Firefox. The case I'm getting has the fan on the outside so there is room for the fan and the heatsink. Should I just remove the heatsink when I get the fan? Is there any value in having both?

I use Linaro and almost everything seems good except for the heat when watching/streaming videos through chromium.
(12-08-2018, 12:49 AM)Silk Wrote: Should I just remove the heatsink when I get the fan? Is there any value in having both?

Is needed a good contact to the chip and lead the heat away by natural or forced convention. So most of the heat-sinks are in contact to the chip and by ribs and/or fan removing the heat.

Same as a laptop, one might use a copper bar to bring the heat on a edge where a fan will cool it. So the heat is transferred by the help of that copper bar.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(12-08-2018, 12:49 AM)Silk Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 09:16 PM)mikeS Wrote:

Yes, Chromium is a mess and honestly I just want Firefox. The case I'm getting has the fan on the outside so there is room for the fan and the heatsink. Should I just remove the heatsink when I get the fan? Is there any value in having both?

I use Linaro and almost everything seems good except for the heat when watching/streaming videos through chromium.

I'm using 2.0.8 but with chromium 67 installed with netflix hack, instructions are on the 2.0.8 thread. I watch netflix and youtube in chromium no problem, plus browsing seems really fast. I have a fan.
Armbian's Firefox will just work. For TinkerOS you can use Firefox from the Raspbian repository.
(12-08-2018, 10:55 PM)jschwart Wrote: Armbian's Firefox will just work. For TinkerOS you can use Firefox from the Raspbian repository.

So it wont work on Debian?

(12-08-2018, 04:01 AM)Z80 Wrote: I'm using 2.0.8 but with chromium 67 installed with netflix hack, instructions are on the 2.0.8 thread. I watch netflix and youtube in chromium no problem, plus browsing seems really fast. I have a fan.

Tell me about this Netflix hack lol.
(12-10-2018, 05:38 PM)Silk Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 10:55 PM)jschwart Wrote: Armbian's Firefox will just work. For TinkerOS you can use Firefox from the Raspbian repository.

So it wont work on Debian?

(12-08-2018, 04:01 AM)Z80 Wrote: I'm using 2.0.8 but with chromium 67 installed with netflix hack, instructions are on the 2.0.8 thread. I watch netflix and youtube in chromium no problem, plus browsing seems really fast. I have a fan.

Tell me about this Netflix hack lol.

hack)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrovcp0m1yq1ntx/TinkerChromium.zip?dl=0
It includes Chromium v67, widevine v67, Pepper video player, and a new chromium.desktop file.
Download and unpack. Change to TinkerChromium directory and run

sudo ./install.sh
If it asks to replace flags, I selected 'Y'.

seems to need a reboot after this

run chromium using
chromium --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS armv7l 6946.63.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/63.0.3239.84 Safari/537.36"