This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alsa device for recording
I can get playback using aplay -D hw:0,2 file.wav through the audio jack. However when I try to record using my headset which is plugged into the 3.5 mm jack I can't select the same device as a recording device. Is it possible to record audio through the 3.5 mm jack? If so what is the ALSA device I use to record?

Thanks

Tony
I'm curious to know whether it's possible to record from the jack. Perhaps an USB device will do.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
Code:
aplay -l
you'll see all devices
@Doomko
I agreed, but I doubt there's a connection to the jack, but I'm mostly unsure. There are six pad to solder such jack. The schematics (left hand bottom side on the page) seems unclear about that.
There is two possible headset types.
The headset are like those provided by the smartphone packages. After all, this board shares a lot of its hardware with a smartphone one.
(12-07-2018, 08:49 AM)Doomko Wrote:
Code:
aplay -l
you'll see all devices
You get the device when you type 
Code:
aplay -l
but the device that the headset jack is connected is missing when you type 
Code:
arecord -l
. Since I'm trying to record through this device it is a bit of a deal breaker.

To the person that suggested to use a USB device, what's the point if the specs say there is a audio in port on the card.
(12-09-2018, 11:06 PM)minghia Wrote: what's the point if the specs say there is a audio in port on the card.
That's what an engineer should come to tell us which is that port and how to use it.

I used the headset from Asus Zenfone 3 plugged on the TBS. Trying as here mentioned but with all command prefixed by sudo, I got no sound.
(12-10-2018, 02:03 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote:
(12-09-2018, 11:06 PM)minghia Wrote: what's the point if the specs say there is a audio in port on the card.
That's what an engineer should come to tell us which is that port and how to use it.

I used the headset from Asus Zenfone 3 plugged on the TBS. Trying as here mentioned but with all command prefixed by sudo, I got no sound.

To get sound out of the jack I used: 
Code:
aplay -D plughw:0,2 file.wav
. This gave me audio out. However there is no matching device 2 when 
Code:
arecord -l
is executed.
from what I can tell, Card 0 Device 2 is for the audio out on the 3.5mm jack, and Card 0 Device 1 is for the mic line in on the 3.5mm.

I have success with "arecord -D hw:0,1 -f cd test.wav"