This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't keep any Android load working
Got a Tinker board recently.

Every Android version i've come across, including the ASUS version, all of them I have the problem of rebooting
or just dies to black screen and I gotta unplug and plug back in to boot back up.

I've used multiple different 3amp power supplies and new microSD cards now.

If I load TinkerOS-Debian ... it can run all day without a single hitch.

If I go back to any Android OS flavor.... can be 5 minutes to an hour before it dies.

Used WiFi and Ethernet to test against.  

I'll have to re-read the docs out there on preferred logging to try and log while its going and see anything
plops out before it dies...    but wondering if anyone else has issues like this?
(12-19-2018, 03:47 PM)jdredd@twc.com Wrote: Got a Tinker board recently.

Every Android version i've come across, including the ASUS version, all of them I have the problem of rebooting
or just dies to black screen and I gotta unplug and plug back in to boot back up.

If I go back to any Android OS flavor.... can be 5 minutes to an hour before it dies.

I'll have to re-read the docs out there on preferred logging to try and log while its going and see anything
plops out before it dies...    but wondering if anyone else has issues like this?

Is it the screen saver activating?  
Try this:

Ctl/Alt/Delete when the screen goes black 
I am using TinkerboarOS2.0.8 and I keep a chromium browser open on the desktop.  It prevents from going black sometimes.
(12-19-2018, 10:05 PM)Jay Smith Wrote:

Try this:

I am using TinkerboarOS2.0.8 and I keep a chromium browser open on the desktop.  It prevents from going black sometimes.

I fiddled with Screensaver and anything power related via the ADB shell that I could find and didnt change anything.

And when it dies, its while I am using it.. ala typing something in... clicking on something... installing an App, ect.. really never when just sitting there idle.

And depending of flavor of Android, it will just out right power off.  Hoping its not a dead board... won it in a development contest Smile

Which i doubt board is bad, since using TinkerOS Linux, it runs very stable and hasn't had the same problems as using Android.
(12-19-2018, 10:48 PM)jdredd@twc.com Wrote:

Try this:

I fiddled with Screensaver and anything power related via the ADB shell that I could find and didnt change anything.

And when it dies, its while I am using it.. ala typing something in... clicking on something... installing an App, ect.. really never when just sitting there idle.

And depending of flavor of Android, it will just out right power off.  Hoping its not a dead board... won it in a development contest Smile

Which i doubt board is bad, since using TinkerOS Linux, it runs very stable and hasn't had the same problems as using Android.

What's the temperature of the cpu when using Android?  Does it have a temp monitor?
What kind of case and fan and heat sink?
Is the power adapter cable short and fat?  Long and thin is not good.
Sounds like a power or heat problem.

You used a samsung or sandisk microSD?
(12-19-2018, 11:16 PM)Jay Smith Wrote:

Try this:

What's the temperature of the cpu when using Android?  Does it have a temp monitor?

[Image: 48356298_10217520674712454_7612627934985...e=5C90AEE0]

^^^^ --- no longer in the Pi3 7" touch screen case... Was just only case I had "Free" until I liberated a Pi from
a case it as using... just a picture of it the day I got it .

Has heat sinks.. don't think heat issue. As I can let it sit for 30 minutes, bring it up and fail in a few minutes.
Then switch to Linux Distro and run for 12 hrs straight with no issue.

Currently no case at the time... well, i have it sitting inside a Pi Case.. but just the bottom half for now.
But i've used it outside of a case.

No Temp monitoring yet... 

Tried number of power cables.. ones I use with Pi3's all the time.. and few others I've had.
Long, short, fat, thin. 

Tried number of 3amp USB bricks I have, that i use with my Pi3's ....

Samsung EVO SD cards.
SanDisk cards. 

Both brand new I picked up locally...

As menitoned, if i run Linux... zero problems.. Maybe less overhead running so less going on,
but i've banged around in Linux cmd/GUI a bit now and haven't triggered a power issue yet.
Worry is the SD card problem.
What SD spec you used?

I will suggest choose class A1 for Android usage. (A1 is for android usage too)
It can provide highly than general SD card's IOPS, can let system more smooth and stable.
(I guess Android is quite a fat OS that will require a lot of reading or writing, so IOPS may be a big problem)
(12-20-2018, 10:17 PM)jdredd@twc.com Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 11:16 PM)Jay Smith Wrote:

Try this:

[Image: 48356298_10217520674712454_7612627934985...e=5C90AEE0]

^^^^ --- no longer in the Pi3 7" touch screen case... Was just only case I had "Free" until I liberated a Pi from
a case it as using... just a picture of it the day I got it .

Has heat sinks.. don't think heat issue. As I can let it sit for 30 minutes, bring it up and fail in a few minutes.
Then switch to Linux Distro and run for 12 hrs straight with no issue.

Currently no case at the time... well, i have it sitting inside a Pi Case.. but just the bottom half for now.
But i've used it outside of a case.

No Temp monitoring yet... 

Tried number of power cables.. ones I use with Pi3's all the time.. and few others I've had.
Long, short, fat, thin. 

Tried number of 3amp USB bricks I have, that i use with my Pi3's ....

Samsung EVO SD cards.
SanDisk cards. 

Both brand new I picked up locally...

As menitoned, if i run Linux... zero problems.. Maybe less overhead running so less going on,
but i've banged around in Linux cmd/GUI a bit now and haven't triggered a power issue yet.

Android is linux too.  It runs on a linux kernel. It's open source software. Look at it's file system....just like a linux distro.
I believe Amazon Fire Stick uses android. It's file system is like other linux distros.
Just another linux distro, but made mainly for cell phones. I guess you are saying Tinkerboard_Debian.
Sorry you having some trouble with android. Good you isolated it to the android os.
You do need a fan on that heat sink.  Temperature will cause problems.
Looks like the only thing left to do is try a fan.  Buy one on ebay or amazon.
Or if you have a small fan, point it at the heat sink and observe to see if it goes black. If the problem is gone, it needs a fan.

Have you tried ctl/alt/del when it goes to black screen?