This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what are the differences between the armbian versions_
Good evening.

Having several problems with Tinker OS 2.0.8
I would like to try armbian.

But there are at least 4 different versions

Armbian Stretch Stable
mainline kernel 4.14.y                                   or

legacy kernel 4.4.y

Armbian Bionic Stable
desktop mainline kernel 4.14.y                    or

desktop legacy kernel 4.4.y

I do not understand the difference between
mainline kernel and legacy kernel 

what is newer?
4.14.y or 4.4.y

what is better?
Bionic or Stretch

Which versions have a graphical user interface?

Thank you for advice.

Regards
Karl
4.4.y = legacy kernel = similar problems as TinkerOS since kernel is the one which makes you most troubles. After you secure stable powering ...
4.14.y = LTS mainline kernel + patches to support Tinkerboard = better on some, worse on other areas, more recent kernel
4.19.y = LTS mainline kernel with more support for Tinkerboard + patches to support Tinkerboard = under testing and upcoming replacement for probably both which are available now.

You can switch between different kernels to see the difference without reinstalling anything.

Bionic = Ubuntu packages version relations, Stretch = Debian relations. Both are latest stable versions and have some specific advantages/disadvantages. Upon of your use case. Some prefer Debian, some Ubuntu "taste".

If "desktop" is written below the download name it means it has GUI. If you start with a CLI by some mistake, go to the armbian-config and install the desktop.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
[-] The following 2 users Like igorpec's post:
  • OtterK, waldmattis
@igorpec

WOW, this is what I call a very helpfull answer.
Thank you very much for your support!!

I will try debian-based desktop version.

Thanks again.
Have a peaceful Christmas time.

Regards
Karl
[-] The following 1 user Likes waldmattis's post:
  • igorpec