This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking to make my tinkerboard into a user friendly desktop for deployments.
Hello all,

I've made a few threads on here asking questions and I've received great help.

I first became interested in the tinkerboard when I was notified of a sudden military deployment to a place that I couldn't bring a conventional computer/laptop. I needed a machine that I could throw into my backpack and plug it into a monitor and work.

Since I'm so incredibly new to Linux (but not to computing), I've had a large uphill battle trying to get my tinkerboard to perform the way I want it to. All I essentially need is a desktop computer that can run a current web browser, discord, netflix and *maybe* skype (not a total requirement).

I'm currently running Debian, but I'm essentially looking for the easiest user experience that I can get with the best performance for watching video on the internet or chatting on discord.

Can anyone point me to a good guide for beginners on exactly which OS to use that is most compatible with current web apps? I won't be using my tinkerboard for anything other than essentially an internet browser/video streamer/discord chat machine.

I appreciate any help I can get!
IMHO, the best experience comes from Raspberry PI, no much from Tinker board, yet. That why I usually search with raspberry keyword, in order to find relevant answers.
Within the OS, I'd rather dodge the linaro, I feel better suited with Armbian.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(12-24-2018, 10:12 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: IMHO, the best experience comes from Raspberry PI, no much from Tinker board, yet. That why I usually search with raspberry keyword, in order to find relevant answers.
Within the OS, I'd rather dodge the linaro, I feel better suited with Armbian.

Yeah I got linaro working, but it isn't very friendly.. Especially getting it to be user friendly. Can Armbian run discord/netflix/skype?

Which version works the best? I'll check it out! I was looking at the newest Android version as well.

Thanks!
Burn one of these on a SD card and give it a test.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Im4Tinker's post:
  • Etown00, Silk
I quite like Armbian. It's more polished and stable than TinkerOS. However, the graphic hardware acceleration is not available out of box, making it's less user friendly in terms of media consumption. If you need youtube, netflex etc, mikerr's TinkerOS+ image is probably a better choice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes qaplus's post:
  • Silk
(12-25-2018, 06:42 PM)qaplus Wrote: I quite like Armbian. It's more polished and stable than TinkerOS. However, the graphic hardware acceleration is not available out of box, making it's less user friendly in terms of media consumption. If you need youtube, netflex etc, mikerr's TinkerOS+ image is probably a better choice.

Oh yes, that'd be awesome. You're saying it can run netflix out of the box?

Could you possibly give me a link? I'm definitely interested in the hardware acceleration.
The OS image is in this thread: https://www.tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/s...php?tid=25

If Chrome doesn't work with Netflix, you might need to run the chrome install from this page: https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/threa...ge-11.html