This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinker Board or Tinker Board S
Hi,

I'm going to buy the Tinker Board as my first single-board computer. However, I cannot decide between the Tinker Board and the Tinker Board S. Does anyone know the main difference between the two and is the 'S' model worth the extra £20-£25 cost?
From my consideration, if I can rewind the time, I'd rather buy the plain one.
One story is about that as a little flaw when trying with mainline kernel (the S version is not yet landed on kernel.org). Another is about the eMMC endurance, which I presume might last as long as a smartphone will. But there's a better customization with a SD card. We might start an OS in the morning and changed it in the afternoon with just the little drawback that your data are inside each SD card and they aren't shareable.
Whit the eMMC, we might arrange the /home partition on eMMC, so the OS will take that advantage and the user data will be always available despite we want to change OS. Except for Android, which has a closed formula to handle such option, I think.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Im4Tinker's post:
  • The_FinalELITE
(12-25-2018, 06:01 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: From my consideration, if I can rewind the time, I'd rather buy the plain one.
One story is about that as a little flaw when trying with mainline kernel (the S version is not yet landed on kernel.org). Another is about the eMMC endurance, which I presume might last as long as a smartphone will. But there's a better customization with a SD card. We might start an OS in the morning and changed it in the afternoon with just the little drawback that your data are inside each SD card and they aren't shareable.
Whit the eMMC, we might arrange the /home partition on eMMC, so the OS will take that advantage and the user data will be always available despite we want to change OS. Except for Android, which has a closed formula to handle such option, I think.

Also would the Tinker board be able to run this game - 'Old School Runescape' (it's a MMORPG) ? 
The game mentioned above runs on java, the purpose of me wanting to purchase a SBC is to use an automated third-party software that runs on java that can automate tasks for me in the game mentioned above without me having to play it. That way I can continue using my normal computer for daily tasks whilst my SBC does the automated work.

Do you think the Asus tinker board is the best SBC for this task, or are there other SBC that are better suited for this purpose?
Sorry, I'm not keen to games, neither knowing that you mentioned Sad
I guess that basically TB should work with java, but it might be a bit slower. If you'll use it without a GUI, then you'll find a plenty of room. On graphic environment it would appear some bottle neck, so good power supply and a decent cooling system will be a must.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Im4Tinker's post:
  • The_FinalELITE
(12-25-2018, 11:43 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: Sorry, I'm not keen to games, neither knowing that you mentioned Sad
I guess  that basically TB should work with java, but it might be a bit slower. If you'll use it without a GUI, then you'll find a plenty of room. On graphic environment it would appear some bottle neck, so good power supply and a decent cooling system will be a must.

Thanks!