This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help installing OS
Hi,

I have two Tinker Board S models and having problems installing any OS apart from Tinker OS.

I have tried several different SD cards and I am now using one that is recommended by ARMbian (SanDisk Ultra 16GB A1 Class 10). I have tried the official Raspberry Pi power supply (2.5 amp) and currently using a 5v 3amp one. I can get Tinker OS running on all cards and with both power supplies but I cannot get Android, ARMbian or ROTT to boot. The red light comes on but nothing else happens no matter how long I leave it. I have used SD Formatter to wipe the cards and tried Etcher & Win32Imager to flash the images.  I have tried using a laptop and a desktop, both Win10 too.

I am really at a loss with this little board now. I hoping that I've just been stupid and overlooked something simple but does anybody have any suggestions?
(12-26-2018, 02:38 PM)Fazziwinkle Wrote: Hi,

I have two Tinker Board S models  and having problems installing any OS apart from Tinker OS.

I have tried several different SD cards and I am now using one that is recommended by ARMbian (SanDisk Ultra 16GB A1 Class 10). I have tried the official Raspberry Pi power supply (2.5 amp) and currently using a 5v 3amp one. I can get Tinker OS running on all cards and with both power supplies but I cannot get Android, ARMbian or ROTT to boot. The red light comes on but nothing else happens no matter how long I leave it. I have used SD Formatter to wipe the cards and tried Etcher & Win32Imager to flash the images.  I have tried using a laptop and a desktop, both Win10 too.

I am really at a loss with this little board now. I hoping that I've just been stupid and overlooked something simple but does anybody have any suggestions?

hi

I've never been able to boot armbian on the tinkerboard, and I realized that the problem lay with my hdmi monitor.
try to boot an OS without any peripherals plugged in, wait for a minute and replug.

I think that your problem is most likely your power supply.
are you powering via micro usb?

if so, you should consider splicing your power cable and using the gpio to give you tinkerboard the power it needs.

also, android 6 didn't work for me, but 7.1.2 did. It's worth a shot
Thanks TinkerThinker,

Yes I am powering from micro USB. Do you know where can I find the info to power via GPIO?

Tinker OS works perfectly on all of the cards I have and both power supplies but the android version I have tried is TinkerOS_Android 7 Nougat V14.1.2.50 from the ASUS website, a few different versions of ARMbian and ROTT. Just seems strange that only Tinker OS works.

I've also tried using a few different monitors and TV's.
(12-26-2018, 03:17 PM)Fazziwinkle Wrote: Thanks TinkerThinker,

Yes I am powering from micro USB. Do you know where can I find the info to power via GPIO?

Tinker OS works perfectly on all of the cards I have and both power supplies but the android version I have tried is TinkerOS_Android 7 Nougat V14.1.2.50 from the ASUS website, a few different versions of ARMbian and ROTT. Just seems strange that only Tinker OS works.

I've also tried using a few different monitors and TV's.

wait... are you flashing the emmc or SD? flash the emmc according to armbian's instructions on the download page and see if that works.... I read somewhere about changing the boot order to boot from sd instead of emmc? google it and find out more, that might fix your problem....

what you need to do:

take your usb cable and cut off the end that plugs into the tinkerboard
now seperate the wires inside. there should be 4.
select the red and black wires.
cut a bit off of the casing on the end of the red wire (2 cm) leaving the metal wire inside behind
wrap the exposed wire around pin 2 of the gpio making sure it doesn't touch any other of the pins, 
cut a bit off of the casing on the end of the black wire (2 cm) leaving the metal wire behind
wrap the exposed wire around pin 6 of the gpio making sure it doesn't touch any other of the pins, 
 BTW: the 2 pins to wrap around are red and black colour-coded

cover the exposed wires and pins that you have connected with hot glue from a glue gun, or electrical tape

https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php/GPIO (has the GPIO schematics)
Thanks, I will be home this week so will give that a go.

Good point about eMMC, I'll try that first.