This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help! Installing Gimp via flatpak got Socket I/O timed out
Aloha,

I was attempting to install GIMP using FLATPAK... Using the command;

flatpak install flathub org.gimp.GIMP

Things were going well for a few minutes, right down to...

Receiving delta parts: 0/9 439.5 kB/s 36.0 MB/212.2 MB 6 minutes 40 seconds remaining

Then I received the error message...

error: While pulling runtime/org.gnome.Platform/arm/3.28 from remote flathub: Socket I/O timed out

I re-entered the install command and received...

linaro@tinkerboard:~$ flatpak install flathub org.gimp.GIMP
error: Error resolving 'dl.flathub.org': Temporary failure in name resolution

Again I re-entered the install command and received...

Out of frustration I entered the run command...

linaro@tinkerboard:~$ flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP
error: app/org.gimp.GIMP/arm/master not installed

Then I tried...

linaro@tinkerboard:~$ flatpak update

And got...

Looking for updates...

As a total Linux newbee I have no idea what's going on. I Googled, Socket I/O timed out and confused myself even more. Any help would be much appreciated...

Mahalo,

dead henry
It's supposed that it lacks of connectivity to internet.
But I wonder why not using apt to install GIMP
Code:
$ sudo apt install gimp
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(12-27-2018, 11:11 PM)dead henry Wrote: Aloha,

I was attempting to install GIMP using FLATPAK... Using the command;

flatpak install flathub org.gimp.GIMP

Things were going well for a few minutes, right down to...

Receiving delta parts: 0/9 439.5 kB/s 36.0 MB/212.2 MB 6 minutes 40 seconds remaining

Then I received the error message...

error: While pulling runtime/org.gnome.Platform/arm/3.28 from remote flathub: Socket I/O timed out

I re-entered the install command and received...

Again I re-entered the install command and received...

Out of frustration I entered the run command...

linaro@tinkerboard:~$ flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP
error: app/org.gimp.GIMP/arm/master not installed

Then I tried...

linaro@tinkerboard:~$ flatpak update

And got...

Looking for updates...

As a total Linux newbee I have no idea what's going on. I Googled, Socket I/O timed out and confused myself even more. Any help would be much appreciated...

Mahalo,

dead henry

You can try installing with synaptic.
You can see other stuff you can install with the gimp.
You can find it in Menu>Preferences>Synaptic
If it is not there, use sudo apt-get install synaptic

Synaptic is a package installer for linux. Learn how to use it. Internet search will help how to use it.

So, flatpak is the future of application installations. I would stick with our own repository.
You go outside of the tinkerboard you can run into many complications.

Great programs:
Audacity for editing audio files
Openshot for editing video files
kdenlive for editing video files I don't if this one working yet. It's more powerful.
gwenview for viewing picture files

You can search for their help packages in synaptic.
Synaptic allows you to see lots of packages you can't see in a terminal.
With apt you have to rely on others who know how to type all that line code.
Believe me synaptic will be very helpful for you.
The problem seems to have resolved itself... I waited an hour or so and re-tried the install command and it asked me if I wanted to continue... I said yes and it ran for a few minutes. After that I gave the run command and Gimp started. Played around with it and it seems to be functioning fine... and I shut it off.

But now I am  unable to restart it... I searched around and found an exicutiable file called "gimp-2.10". I tried to launch it with ./gimp2.10 and I received this error message...

error while loading shared libraries: libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Fat fingers sent my last message before I could say... Any help would be much appreciated...

dh
To Im4Tinker & Jay Smith,

Thanks for the input... Much appreciated...

The reason I used Flatpak to install Gimp is, I went to the Gimp site and they said to use Flatpak and even supplied a Link to get it. What do I know???

The "lack of conductivity to the internet" being at the root of my installation problems sounds about right. Upcountry (rural) Maui is pretty much at the very end of the technological foodchain. Our "internet conductivity" is still delivered by outrigger canoe...  (Nope that canoe didn't come in yet...)

I'm also thinking that my original dis-jointed installation may be why I'm unable to re-launch Gimp. I was thinking of uninstalling it, then re-installing with either apt or synaptic... Is there a good way to uninstall it, either by the command line or in PCManFM that I'm using in the TinkerOS? If not, do I search down everything I can find and delete it? Or should I just re-install and assume that everything get written over? I'm interested in saving space on that tiny little MicroSD.

You're also right about the blue text being a problem. I keep typing up things in the blue text, then clicking the hell out of it but nothing happens. But I think I found the problem... I just need to underline it.

I will remember your advice that going outside of Tinkerboard can lead to complacations... You suggested that I stick with our own repository... Where do I find this repository? Also you said I could find Synaptic in Menu>Preferences>Synaptic. Where am I to find Menu>Preferences>Synaptic? Sorry to be such a dunce...

Thanks for recomending all those programs for me. They are exactly the type of programs I am looking for.

I will investagate both apt and synaptic for a better way to do an installation.

Thanks for all the good advice. Looking forward to hearing what you think of my present problems...

Aloha,

dh
(12-28-2018, 05:15 AM)dead henry Wrote: To Im4Tinker & Jay Smith,

Thanks for the input... Much appreciated...

The reason I used Flatpak to install Gimp is, I went to the Gimp site and they said to use Flatpak and even supplied a Link to get it. What do I know???

The "lack of conductivity to the internet" being at the root of my installation problems sounds about right. Upcountry (rural) Maui is pretty much at the very end of the technological foodchain. Our "internet conductivity" is still delivered by outrigger canoe...  (Nope that canoe didn't come in yet...)

I'm also thinking that my original dis-jointed installation may be why I'm unable to re-launch Gimp. I was thinking of uninstalling it, then re-installing with either apt or synaptic... Is there a good way to uninstall it, either by the command line or in PCManFM that I'm using in the TinkerOS? If not, do I search down everything I can find and delete it? Or should I just re-install and assume that everything get written over? I'm interested in saving space on that tiny little MicroSD.

You're also right about the blue text being a problem. I keep typing up things in the blue text, then clicking the hell out of it but nothing happens. But I think I found the problem... I just need to underline it.

I will remember your advice that going outside of Tinkerboard can lead to complacations... You suggested that I stick with our own repository... Where do I find this repository? Also you said I could find Synaptic in Menu>Preferences>Synaptic. Where am I to find Menu>Preferences>Synaptic? Sorry to be such a dunce...

Thanks for recomending all those programs for me. They are exactly the type of programs I am looking for.

I will investagate both apt and synaptic for a better way to do an installation.

Thanks for all the good advice. Looking forward to hearing what you think of my present problems...

Aloha,

dh

The menu is found at the bottom left corner icon.
Click that and you'll see Preference.
Then look for synaptic.

After synaptic is open or running the repository can be seen in settings at the top menu and select repository.
You don't have to do anything with it.  Just look around and see what is all there.
If you want to update click reload and then Mark all Upgrades and then apply.
You will want to lock version for the chromium. The new version doesn't work.
Remember to search for chromium and select it and lock the version. Then it's ok to update.

Important ones:
Edit>fixBrokenPackages   This is used to fix packages that didn't install or finish.
Package>Force Version    This is if you want to go back to an older version.
Package>lock version       This is to lock a selected package so it can't be updated.
The Search button. Note: Don't go in there and install everything. Only install what you need to use.
Help button                         Use it to get answers to more questions. It has lots of text to study. To much to write here.

That's all.  Everything is there.
There are situations you will need apt to get a package working.  I don't use it much.
The strength of synaptic is you can see many options. It gives you information.
Currently there is 50,306 packages in the list.

Important ones for Apt:
sudo pcmanfm                 This is used to navagate and edit the root system files.
                                           It's like full administrative power, or root power.
sudo apt-get install yourPackage
sudo apt-get update  and sudo apt-get upgrade
And there are many others.
The weakness of apt is that you can't see it.  You must know it in your memory.
The advantage is the commandline is huge.  1,000s upon 1,000s of commands and things that can be done.

So, for a beginner synaptic is a good way to get started.
And Welcome to the world of linux.
If you like GUI programs, the Jay has pointed it out. If you want the quicker solution, you might start a terminal and issue
Code:
$ sudo apt autoremove gimp
Then your gimp won't exist any longer.
@Jay Smith
Agreed that GUI is more intuitive, but sometimes doesn't need an armada to kill a fly Big Grin
(12-29-2018, 01:13 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: If you like GUI programs, the Jay has pointed it out. If you want the quicker solution, you might start a terminal and issue
Code:
$ sudo apt autoremove gimp
Then your gimp won't exist any longer.
@Jay Smith
Agreed that GUI is more intuitive, but sometimes doesn't need an armada to kill a fly Big Grin

But........if it is a huge blow fly?   Shy

Now how do you install the extras, plugins, and addons that make the gimp more useful?
I can see it in the synaptic search list.  Now that's cool.   Cool

One thing that is so cool about apt is this.

sudo apt-get install gimp audacity gwenview libreoffice okular gparted samba

Now that is the faster way of installing many packages at once.
(12-29-2018, 01:44 AM)Jay Smith Wrote:
Code:
$ sudo apt-get install gimp audacity gwenview libreoffice okular gparted samba
Now that is the faster way of installing many packages at once.

And it's the smartest way we can represent the solution in a forum Wink
Thanks guys...

I was able to get GIMP to run by entering the command "flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP" I'm not too sure what I told it to do, But It gets me a running copy of GIMP on the screen.

I do like the GUIs. Dead nuts easy to point and click. It's a good way to break into new things with out having much background... Satisfies my need for instant gratification.

But I also like command line... Takes me back to the late 70's when I worked at the Observatories at Haleakala running PDP-4s and PDP-8s (pre-microprocessor computers, just a bunch of transistors, resistors, diodes, etc. no single chip CPUs.) to drive the telescopes and collect data. We used command line inputs to manipulate UNIX and FORTRAN programs. So I'm just as happy using command line, but it takes a deeper understanding to get commands and syntax right. Steeper learning curve, I like that too.

Both of you have given me a great start in both methods... I'll be chewing on this for a while. I'm always confusing myself and getting stuck, so I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again. Thanks again.

Aloha,

dh