This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single Board Computers
The connectivity uses mostly USB otherwise the GPIO are operating at 1.8 V, which pretty different from TB or RPi.
There are no on board wireless devices. This might rise the total setup cost.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
@The_FinalELITE
It depends on the use case. I have two Tinker Boards. I bought them because the on board bluetooth. But I now face that I don't really need it. I have several Odroid C1 and C2. A C2 in my car is working great with Android M. Two C2 are working great as All-In-One PC with Android M (my wife uses as Spotify player). One C1 with Ubuntu Bionic minimal as Home Automation with Home Assistant is working great. One C1 with Ubuntu Bionic minimal as relay station for my RF24 sensors. I tried a Tinker Board in my car but it was not working well with my touch screen device (missing touches drive you crazy when editing target for navigation).
I have one Tinker Board with Android and with 7 inch touch screen beside the door where I have developed a Alarm App, but I now decided to go with Home Assistant that has already an intergrated alarm app and this door station is only showing the Home Assistant webpage.
Another point for the Odroids. They have very active forum. You get answer quickly also from Hardkernel staff.
The XU4 is very fast sbc, but because of 1.8V level it is incompatible to most add on bords.

@Im4Tinker
Home Assistant as home automation should work on lot of sbc with linux, also on TB.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lobo's post:
  • Im4Tinker
The first bad impact with a number of these SBC is the use of a Debian derived, which is limiting. For my taste I dislike to install a bloat of things that I even didn't decided to have.
Perhaps my vision is wrong, so it will take a long period to get settle with such prison cell.
On the other hand I'd invite the community to design a minimal setup, where everybody will craft one's own setup.
Even the Debian netinstall still not minimal as I mean.

As a fervent Archlinux user I tried to install Arch and it's working, but there still few issues not solved on the mainstream. For instance bluetooth ad 80211 module crashes when using wifi as AP. Also it seems to me that I'm the only user to try that distro, so I'm procrastinating the development further.

@lobo
I noted HomeAssinstant, but I'm declining to use it, because part of the package is not what I really need. But mostly because it's supposed to use IoT ready made, which many having some certification also.
My design expects to use custom devices linked by bluetooth.

There are few other packages to mention (including Mozilla IoT), but no information about installed on a TB.

PS. I'd like if this discussion will  be marked as sticky or a new section.
(01-01-2019, 10:45 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 06:28 AM)Jay Smith Wrote: Why beaglebone?  It's 1Ghz?
My main purpose doesn't need much crunching calculation, nor high video performances. I started with SBC because I'd expect to set up a small home automation.
Flexibility is the keyword, therefore should pick up any distro. I was challenged to buy a RPi, but as many here saw the TB performance more intriguing. But I found that experiences gathered by RPi staff are giving better chances, rather than TB. Just to mention that any of my web search for answers, are using raspberry keyword.

Happy 2019 to all!  Im4Tinker, I also went with the TB because my RPi3, w/1GB ram, just didn't cut it for the things I used it for.  I needed a desktop for an office suite, browsing, and some Windows programs (using Wine) for my electronic servicing hobby, including the uTracer vacuum tube curve tracer.  And using the provided heat-sink, an open case, and a small fan, the processor never exceeds 50-60 degrees C.  I'm through with MS products.  After many weeks I now have the ELAR systems Ubuntu 16.04.2 up and running and behaving how I want it.  The TB OS was too quirky.   I would still recommend the Tinkerboard, just NOT the TOS.   Joe
I'd agree that my use case is unusual. But in the other hand, flexibility is a bonus which might reach more users.

Prosperous '19 to you, too.