This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fsarchiver
Cloning a 32gb microSD to a 16gb microSD. Finally.

I solved the problem of read only on microSD.
I put the little microSD chip in one of those little usb adapters with the little slot.
I was successful at restoring my eMMC 16gb image to a microSD 32gb and a 32gb to a 16gb microSD.

Savefs:
fsarchiver savefs /home/user/linaroBoot.fsa /dev/sdf1
fsarchiver savefs /home/user/linaroRoot.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sdf2

Restore:
1 Use a usb adapter that allows for the microSD mini chip. This way nothing will write protect it.
2 In a terminal type lsblk Look for the two devices. One for /boot and one for /.
3 umount /media/devices
4 fsarchiver restfs /home/user/linaroRoot.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sdf1 or dd if=/home/user/linaroBoot.img of=/dev/sdf1
Use fsarchiver or DD for /boot.
5 fsarchiver restfs /home/user/linaroRoot.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sdf2
Use fsarchiver for /.

http://www.fsarchiver.org/
I use frequently fsarchiver to switch over distro and keep a way to go back. E.g. switching Armbian with ALarm is completely painless, using Armbian u-boot. A little adjustment is made on ALarm to make boot.scr working flawlessly.

So basically I change only the rootfs, the /home is in a different partition.

I presume that even partclone should work for the swapping.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(01-04-2019, 11:25 PM)Im4Tinker Wrote: I use frequently fsarchiver to switch over distro and keep a way to go back. E.g. switching Armbian with ALarm is completely painless, using Armbian u-boot. A little adjustment is made on ALarm to make boot.scr working flawlessly.

So basically I change only the rootfs, the /home is in a different partition.

I presume that even partclone should work for the swapping.

You're the one that talked about fsarchiver and got me started on it.
So far it's the only one that works the way we have been wanting.

Clonezilla is good but it can not restore to a smaller device and you have to have a bootable usb or cd.

Fsarchiver does not have these limitations.  It doesn't copy the empty space like DD does.

I'm working with the qt4-fsarchiver. I created an fsa image and it won't write back or restore.
Do you know about it?  Is it broken?
I don't know why it will not restore.  It just says it did not succeed. It looks like it doesn't even try.
Qt4 is rather deprecated, so expecting to get it work will cause a bunch of issues with modern GUI.
I think the latest version should be here.
They said that qt4(qt5)-fsarchiver is no longer supported.
In most of the cases I'd avoid the GUI usage, because fsarchiver works better with unmounted partitions.
When is the time to backup the rootfs, it's handy to know  the CLI commands.
But it's possible to start with an OS image and stay out of the rootfs.

Backing up with dd is good, in conjunction  with a packer such gzip, rar 7zip, which will eliminate the huge vacuum between data. Anyway it's slower than clonezilla/partimage. I just recall the time I was trying to backup 750 Gb. I gave up, and the clonezilla proved me to finish in 3 hours what dd hadn't finish in 36 hours.
Do you know the password for the qt-fsarchiver on the bootup dvd live?
Sorry, I accustomed better with CLI. I don't have the GUI program.
Where did you get the dvd ?
(01-07-2019, 12:32 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: Sorry, I accustomed better with CLI. I don't have the GUI program.
Where did you get the dvd ?

Yes.
When the fsarchiver opens it ask for a password I guess is the root.
gparted opens with no password.

I don't think qt-fsarchiver works.  I don't see any devices in the list to work with.
I don't know if it is that it opens with no password.
Maybe a password will work fully.
I looked all over and search and nothing has come up.
I think it is just broken and needs work on it.
(01-07-2019, 01:18 AM)Jay Smith Wrote: When the fsarchiver opens it ask for a password I guess is the root.

Oh yes, it's definitely that. Since has to work on partitions and other administration stuffs.
Gparted will do. But usually if we have already an open root session it won't ask twice.