This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No eMMC and only Lenaro 2.0.8 runs from SD
(01-10-2019, 04:39 AM)Jay Smith Wrote: Put the u-boot on an sd set MASKROM and plug in to the PC and then flash the emmc with etcher?

Indeed it's u-boot that hold the UMS function. Therefore the answer is yes, you may do it. Other condition gives such similar chance, even when we want to boot from an external USB disk. The EMMC or SD card u-boot is called to perform the task.

The process is visible if plugging the USB-RS232 adaptor. At very beginning is called to try whether any USB device is responding, then u-boot will try to find other media where to boot from.
In case a PC respond to the u-boot inquires, then u-boot will act as SCSI driver for the eMMC. This is the first task, actually.
The booting process is determined by the jumper. If the jumper is set to MASKROM, then the SD card has the higher priority. IIRC, if the SD card hasn't an OS then u-boot will try booting on the eMMC, too.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
Thanks to all for the moment for all hints and replies. Yesterday I decided to send back the board to the dealer. I‘ve ordered a new one at a different dealer. I start from scratch again when the board arrives here. I’ll give you feedback ...
Try to boot prior any attempt to write anything. I think there's the OS written on a brand new board.
(01-12-2019, 12:10 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: Try to boot prior any attempt to write anything. I think there's the OS written on a brand new board.

(01-12-2019, 12:10 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: Try to boot prior any attempt to write anything. I think there's the OS written on a brand new board.

Hi,
My new board arrived yesterday. I connected to my monitor and power adapter, but unfortunately the board does not boot. So i think there was no system on the emmc.

Then I connected with my PC, the emmc was not recognized as mass storage drive, in opposite to the short description on the Asus website.

I decided to ignore this bloody emmc. I flashed the SD card with the actual Android Nougat. This time, the green LED also blinked, but stopped blinking after a few seconds - no boot screen. Then I replaced the micro-usb cable with internal power switch by an other one with a greater diameter.

And: success! Android System was booting. I was able to install my VPN app and replaced the existing Lighting browser with Google Chrome, since Lighting most time crashes when I tried to download a file.
Chrome is working stable. Now have what I want.

Thanks to all!
So if you like you might clone you SD card to eMMC. It supposed it will work.
Also, with the SD card inserted you may try to inspect the eMMC when plugged to PC.
(01-14-2019, 06:25 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: So if you like you might clone you SD card to eMMC. It supposed it will work.
Also, with the SD card inserted you may try to inspect the eMMC when plugged to PC.

Is u-boot in /boot?
I hear of u-boot but where is it?
I haven't studied that yet. I had to take a break from too much information over-load.
Hi Jay
u-boot is not in any partition. It's located within the first 4 Megabytes of the media, or less. This might give some idea.
So the RK3288 has its own firmware that will start to read from cold start, which will look for a set of instructions from the first available media, which usually could be SD card (with MASKROM set) or eMMC.
From there the entire process to lead into an operating system.
(01-14-2019, 06:25 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: So if you like you might clone you SD card to eMMC. It supposed it will work.

I tried with my former tinkerboard. I used this from one of your posts (mmcblk 0 and 1 were changed in my case):
  • Copy the u-boot from SD card to eMMC
    Code:
    $ sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk1 of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=64 count=4032 conv=noerror,notrunc

But this does not work.

I could try with my new board. But must first prepare a new SD since my current SD has a completely configured and working Android on it....
The u-boot may have differences. So you should use linaro u-boot for tinkerOS or Elar Systems, but Armbian is a bit different.
I guess you haven't mix the u-boot, but I can't see any statement.

When you prepare the u-boot, it has to follow with a rootfs. For any strange result, it needs to plug the USB-RS232 adapter and see what is going on in the early stage.

It happen to me some time, maybe because I forget to re-arrange the partition names whit the /etc/fstab. But last attempt, yesterday, I put the armbian u-boot and recover the Arch linux partitions, without a glitch Smile