This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No eMMC and only Lenaro 2.0.8 runs from SD
Shocked 
Hello forum,

My Name is Axel and I have signed up to this forum yesterday. I am from Germany and have none experience with SBC and Linux OS. In case this thread is placed in the wrong topic please apoligize and move it to the correct one.

I received my Tinkerboard S yesterday.
The days before I have seen several YT videos and tutorials about the TB and its configuration with Ticker OS and Android. I also read threads in this forum. I ried to prepare myself.

My aim is to operate the TB with Android Marshmallow or Nougat from internal eMMC memory.

My first problem: I don't get contact to the internal eMMC. I plugged the TB to my Windows 10 laptop via the micro USB cable, but Windows does not recognize the internal eMMC memory. I have tried each possible jumper configuration with and without the SD card with Lenaro 2.08 inserted.

Second problem: the only OS I can operate is the lastest Tinker lenaro V 2.0.8. For this, the jumpers must be set to „maskmode“. In opposite to this, I found in several instructions the Information that the Jumpers must be set to „Off“ (Both pins near the HDMI port must be closed by the Jumper), to force the Board to boot from SD, but this does not work. Only if maskmode is active the Board can boot Lenaro 2.0.8 from SD. Is this normal? Lenaro 2.0.7 and Android to not work from SD.

Is the board defective? But if, why can I start Lenaro OS? And why can I not start Android OS?

I am using the most actual Android and Ticker OS downloads from the ASUS website. I used Etcher to burn the image on the SD card. I used „SD formatter“ to format the SD before.
Also strange: „Etcher“ states „this image seems not to be a bootable image“ after I`ve choosen the respective image file. This is both for Android and Tinker OS. But Tinker OS is booting anyway, Android not. But I didn't got this message when trying Lenaro 2.0.7.

I also tried the hints given in this forum thread: "Problems with eMMC have U-Boot and device not recognized", but no success. (sorry, I'm not allowed to post a link at this time).

In all cases the board can not boot, the red LED is on, but nothing else happens. The green and amber LEDs are off, the Monitor is off - no HDMI signal. The fan is running, and my USB Wlan Dongle works too.
What can I do? Send the board back to the dealer? Or is the problem sittig in front of the computer :-)

THX for any hint!
You might start from here and see what I wrote in the PDF.
Also good to read what Grulle wrote in your native language Tongue
Anyway It's simple, just find the Android image and use Etcher, which most suitable for beginners. If you'll face problem, don't hesitate to report your errors and ask for help Wink
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
If the emmc is formated ext4, windows will not recognize it and ask you to format.  Ignore that and run etcher.
Etcher will recognize the emmc.  Windows doesn't have to.
Hopefully, that is the situation. If not, going to have to look for something else.
(01-08-2019, 04:51 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: You might start from *link and see what I wrote in the PDF.
Also good to read what Grulle *link in your native language Tongue

Hello,
Thanks for reply. 
I followed your tipps given in quote 4 of this thread. Unfortunately I have a complete different keyboard layout, so it is hard to type long commands in the terminal.

I copied the „U-Boot“ from SD to emmc, then  shut-Down, switched the jumper to „Park position“, connected the TB via Micro-USB with my laptop, but no success. This bloody emmc is not in my Windows file manager. Meanwhile I have the feeling there must be any defect.

Grulles text is interesting, but not what I need, since I do not plan to customize my linux. I only want to boot from emmc and operate with Android.

BTW: is there anywhere a description about the jumper settings and the respective meaning. I already know „recovery mode/maskrom mode“ and „park position“. What about the two other possibilities?
(01-08-2019, 03:13 PM)anagy Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 04:51 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: You might start from *link and see what I wrote in the PDF.
Also good to read what Grulle *link in your native language Tongue

Hello,
Thanks for reply. 
I followed your tipps given in quote 4 of this thread. Unfortunately I have a complete different keyboard layout, so it is hard to type long commands in the terminal.

I copied the „U-Boot“ from SD to emmc, then  shut-Down, switched the jumper to „Park position“, connected the TB via Micro-USB with my laptop, but no success. This bloody emmc is not in my Windows file manager. Meanwhile I have the feeling there must be any defect.

Grulles text is interesting, but not what I need, since I do not plan to customize my linux. I only want to boot from emmc and operate with Android.

BTW: is there anywhere a description about the jumper settings and the respective meaning. I already know „recovery mode/maskrom mode“ and „park position“. What about the two other possibilities?

1 Why do you want to see the emmc in your windows file manager?  You don't need windows to see it. My emmc is not recognized by windows.
2 You copied u-boot to the emmc, that means it is formatted with fat32 or ext4? This question I don't know either which how does the emmc comes formatted.
3 Did you run etcher in windows and does ETCHER see the emmc? Ignor not seeing it in the windows file manager.
4 Do you have a linux desktop? You copied u-boot to the emmc with something otherthan windows. Etcher may work using wine.
5 Do you understand that tinkerboard is not made for windows but only for a linux Arm system?

Please answer all 5 questions only.

Note: All I did was plugged in the emmc to my windows. Windows did not recognized it. I then ran etcher and etcher flashed. I never had to do anything else.
(01-08-2019, 04:39 PM)Jay Smith Wrote:  Why do you want to see the emmc in your windows file manager?

Exactly. OP may see the linux file system only with ext2fsd. Otherwise, it's only possible to see the eMMC partitions by the windows's partition manager.
It might be possible to write to the partition in windows by ext2fsd, but highly discouraged.
So as I proposed on my PDF, would be most suitable to use a linux OS, in order to handle the TB file system. That might be run on a virtual machine or a live distro image.
(01-08-2019, 04:39 PM)Jay Smith Wrote: Please answer all 5 questions only.
Thanks for your reply, I will do my very best...

Quote:1 Why do you want to see the emmc in your windows file manager?  You don't need windows to see it.  My emmc is not recognized by windows.
Because I want to flash Android image on the emmc. If Windows doesn‘t recognize the emmc, also Etcher can‘t see the drive, so I can‘t select the emmc as target.

Quote:2 You copied u-boot to the emmc, that means it is formatted with fat32 or ext4?  This question I don't know either which how does the emmc comes formatted.
I don‘t know how it is formatted. I just followed the given instruction in the link that user „Im4tinker“ gave me?
Since I have absolutely no manner about Linux this is the only thing I can do.

Quote:3 Did you run etcher in windows and does ETCHER see the emmc?  Ignor not seeing it in the windows file manager.
Yes, I run etcher under windows, and no, etcher doesn‘t see the emmc.

Quote:4 Do you have a linux desktop? You copied u-boot to the emmc with something otherthan windows.  Etcher may work using wine.
As question 2, I followed the instructions. So, I've bootet Lenaro from SD, startet a terminal and entered the linux commands.

Quote:5 Do you understand that tinkerboard is not made for windows but only for a linux Arm system?
Yes, of course. Linux or Android marshmallow or Android Nougat...

Quote:Note:  All I did was plugged in the emmc to my windows.  Windows did not recognized it.  I then ran etcher and etcher flashed.  I never had to do anything else.
I don‘ t understand this point. If the emmc is not shown as mass drive in windows, how are you able to select this drive in etcher?? On my PC, etcher shows only the SD as target provided the SD is inserted.

Thanks for your patience...

(01-09-2019, 12:36 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 04:39 PM)Jay Smith Wrote:  Why do you want to see the emmc in your windows file manager?

Exactly. OP may see the linux file system only with ext2fsd. Otherwise, it's only possible to see the eMMC partitions by the windows's partition manager.

Sorry, now I'm confused. I think this is not correct? Please correct me, but I've seen some YT videos. There the people set the jumper on TB board in park position, connected the TB via micro USB cable with the Windows-PC and the emmc was shown as mass drive in the explorer. I think this the precondtition for every program running under MS-Windows to "see" the drive - also for a program like Etcher. After this, the people used Etcher to bring the Android image on the internal TB emmc.
P.S. when I insert the SD with the Linaro image on it, the SD is recognized as mass storage drive, but Windows cant't read the content. This is what I would expect for the eMMC, too.
I just plugged in my Tnkerboard S with TBos v2.0.8 

1 Windows recognized but wanted to format it.  No I didn't format it.
2 Run Etcher Portable.exe.  Etcher sees the emmc.

I am able to flash the emmc.

3 Check your jumper again. My jump is set parallel to the HDMI input. It came in that position.
4 I used one of those white usb charging cables for my cell phone.
5 Connected all of my two tinkerboards with the microSDs in linux/windows and none recognized.
6 They used to be recognized. It's been a long time. I wonder if TBos has done something that has caused this failure.
I only used TBos versions.
7 Try an older version of etcher in windows to format the microSD.
8 Format a microSD fat32 and see if the linux/windows recognizes it, then flash it and see?
I'll try it later and see if linux will see the TB with a usb cable. It should.
sudo mkdosfs -F 32 -I /dev/sdx Use this to format it with fat32.
9 I had formatted all of my microSD with fsarchiver. Oh, maybe it's fsarchiver prevented me from see them?

I can't think of anything else.

In conclusion:
If etcher can't see the eMMC in linux or windows, it can't be flashed. The eMMC is bad.
Yours was defective in the beginning. I would send it back and get another one.
With the new one plug it into windows and don't format it. Go straight to etcher and flash it.
That's the big problem with an embedded eMMC like this. If it goes bad, for what ever reason, you can't replace it.
However, it is faster than a microSD.

All you can do is put a mini microSD into one of those usb adapters and flash it.
I put a mini microSD in the microSD card and it was always read only. Can't flash it with those. At least I can't.

All In One Micro SD to USB Multi-Card Memory Card Adapter Reader Supports 128GB
https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-In-One-Micr...:rk:6:pf:0
(01-09-2019, 10:08 AM)anagy Wrote: Sorry, now I'm confused
I'm sorry, I wished not, but my English still bad.
anagy Wrote: but I've seen some YT videos. There the people set the jumper on TB board in park position, connected the TB via micro USB cable with the Windows-PC and the emmc was shown as mass drive in the explorer
I consider those videos outdated.
The board usually comes with TinkerOS already installed. But I can't  guaranty was there on mine (I rewrote prior any check). So this will permits to identify it when plugged to USB port on the PC. Windows Explorer will notify a "non formatted media", because doesn't like to be involved to different file systems. But this suppose that the u-boot is written on the eMMC when booting. Virgin eMMC or corrupted u-boot will fall in the category of bricked TB Smile.
So to recover the brick condition it should need the procedures I described. The fastest is to write the u-boot on a SD card and boot with the jumper on MASKROM position. Later can plug the TB on a PC (with such setting) and the TB is found.

I'd like to point out that any kind of formatting is not necessary for all the OS proposed in this site. The reason is that it will take place a low level writing on the media. So this raw writing will transfer also the format information about the used file system. As stated early windows explorer can see the content of the file system only with some additional program. But nothing to do with the low level writing, that's a different path.

So if you had the chance to start TB by a SD card, from there you'll find the solution to recover the EMMC functionality.
(01-10-2019, 01:01 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 10:08 AM)anagy Wrote: Sorry, now I'm confused
I'm sorry, I wished not, but my English still bad.
anagy Wrote: but I've seen some YT videos. There the people set the jumper on TB board in park position, connected the TB via micro USB cable with the Windows-PC and the emmc was shown as mass drive in the explorer
I consider those videos outdated.
The board usually comes with TinkerOS already installed. But I can't  guaranty was there on mine (I rewrote prior any check). So this will permits to identify it when plugged to USB port on the PC. Windows Explorer will notify a "non formatted media", because doesn't like to be involved to different file systems. But this suppose that the u-boot is written on the eMMC when booting. Virgin eMMC or corrupted u-boot will fall in the category of bricked TB Smile.
So to recover the brick condition it should need the procedures I described. The fastest is to write the u-boot on a SD card and boot with the jumper on MASKROM position. Later can plug the TB on a PC (with such setting) and the TB is found.

I'd like to point out that any kind of formatting is not necessary for all the OS proposed in this site. The reason is that it will take place a low level writing on the media. So this raw writing will transfer also the format information about the used file system. As stated early windows explorer can see the content of the file system only with some additional program. But nothing to do with the low level writing, that's a different path.

So if you had the chance to start TB by a SD card, from there you'll find the solution to recover the EMMC functionality.

Interesting.  Good news that he has a chance to make it work.
Put the u-boot on an sd set MASKROM and plug in to the PC and then flash the emmc with etcher?
I have been working with DD for several days now and very burned out. Need rest time.
Thanks for your help. I was very concerned about the eMMC issues. I got your information and will look closer at it.