This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinker dies with very little load
Hi

just received my tinker board S. Installed Armbian on eMMC.

Power through a 60W Anker USB Power Supply (also feeding some PIs without any issues)

Initial boot works fine. When I go in and put a little load on it (in fact: apt-get update / apt-get upgrade) it basically dies after a couple of secs.
CPU Temp goes from 45 degrees C in total idle mode to 54 degrees and that is the last think I see.

I'm using the standard heat sink on the COPU, no enclosure right now (it's hanging in the air).

I understand that it requires some extra cooling when doing CPU intense things like video encoding, etc, but a standard apt-get?
also, the 45 degrees in idle seems very high to me.

Anything I can test / check before I return it?
1000W PSU can't help you.

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/4767-pow...micro-usb/
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
The power cord should not less than AWG 18 or 0.5 mm2, preferably short. The usual environ temperature should be about 25 degree Celsius. Mine stands for several days turned on with 28° C and the original head sink can be touched for long. Even using AWG 22, 20 cm jumpers on the GPIO pins.
Average consumption is about 0.35 Amps.

It might be good to monitor the power supply during your tests.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
I'm using an official Raspberry Pi 3 power supply. That seems to work fine.
As official power supply, also Asus has one Wink
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin