This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to replace Android 7.1.2 kernel
Hi,

I had managed to replace the Android 6.01 kernel based on the Wiki (//tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Software )

Building image:
 $ cd android_kernel
 $ make rockchip_defconfig -j4
 $ make rk3288-miniarm.img -j4
 Flash image:
 Prepare one sdcard which has the full Android image inside.
 then insert the sdcard into a linux based OS, and suppose the block device of the sdcard is /dev/sdx
 $ sudo dd if=./resource.img of=/dev/sdx seek=32768
 $ sudo dd if=./kernel.img of=/dev/sdx seek=65536

I repeated the same for the Android 7.1.2 kernel (//github.com/TinkerBoard/android-7.1.2_kernel ).
After dd kernel.img the system boots but it is still running the old kernel.
Has anyone had success replacing the Android 7.1.2 kernel ?

Thanks
Vasant
Hi Vasant, take a look here, I described how to calculate the right seek value for Nougat:
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/threa...ml#pid8632
I think the right value for the kernel is 73728 and for the resource 40960.
Doesn't fdisk -l show the image layout ?
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
I tried sudo dd if=./kernel.img of=/dev/sdx seek=73728 .
It still booted the old kernel.
Hi Vasant,
I had to make a new resource.img and I wrote it now with:
Code:
sudo dd of=/dev/sde if=resource.img seek=40960
And it worked for me. Btw, the gpiomem driver failed to load, I made changes in dtb.
How do you know that you are still on old kernel? What have you changed?
(01-13-2019, 06:58 PM)lobo Wrote: Hi Vasant,
I had to make a new resource.img and I wrote it now with:
Code:
sudo dd of=/dev/sde if=resource.img seek=40960
And it worked for me. Btw, the gpiomem driver failed to load, I made changes in dtb.
How do you know that you are still on old kernel? What have you changed?

If you go to Android settings -> About device (I think), it will give you information about build time and build user.
After I updated kernel I should see it change.

So right now I am building whole Android which takes forever on my box.

Vasant
Hello Vasant,
I updated also the kernel and yes it is shown in 'About Tablet/Kernel Version'.

Perhaps it only works on the the newer build that I see on your image. I am trying to update the kernel on the v14.1.2.50 ANdroid image and it did not work.

Vasant
I finally built the latest Android from git and now I can rebuild replace kernel.img with dd and seek=73728.
So you are right about the offset in the current release but it is different in the V14.1.2.50 release.
Anyway thanks for your help. I wish Asus would be more active in supporting their good hardware.

Vasant
Has anyone got an overclocked kernel? Or at least one that is at 1.8 instead of 1.6?