This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Failure in Tinkerboard
Hello all,
I have been prototyping with Tinkerboard with high computing. I am using a 5V 2.5A power supply through USB. For some unknown reason, the power on the board drops out abruptly, leaving the power LED glowing. Since I am using the board in a headless mode, there is no way to determine if the board is active or not. The only way to check it is through SSH. 

My query to the forum is that has any one experienced an abrupt power failure in Tinkerboard ? 
If yes does anyone know the exact reason and the mitigation procedure ?

Second question would be, I have been reading about powering the tinker board through GPIO Pins, but when doing so, the power security circuits are bypassed. 
Does any one know any good solutions to implement the power circuits over the GPIO, so the board would not fry up ?

I have been searching for a power adapter online, specific to Tinkerboards, but all i get are Raspberry Pi specific power adapters. 

Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks and Regards,
Rohan
(01-22-2019, 09:14 AM)rvalvekar Wrote: My query to the forum is that has any one experienced an abrupt power failure in Tinkerboard ? 

Yes. Powering via mUSB is the biggest fail in single board computing. Tinkerboard is power hungry and is affected most.

Yes. By using non-standard 5.2V PSU or by powering via GPIO.

More tricks and theory.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
(01-22-2019, 09:14 AM)rvalvekar Wrote: Hello all,
I have been prototyping with Tinkerboard with high computing. I am using a 5V 2.5A power supply through USB. For some unknown reason, the power on the board drops out abruptly, leaving the power LED glowing. Since I am using the board in a headless mode, there is no way to determine if the board is active or not. The only way to check it is through SSH. 

My query to the forum is that has any one experienced an abrupt power failure in Tinkerboard ? 

Second question would be, I have been reading about powering the tinker board through GPIO Pins, but when doing so, the power security circuits are bypassed. 
Does any one know any good solutions to implement the power circuits over the GPIO, so the board would not fry up ?

I have been searching for a power adapter online, specific to Tinkerboards, but all i get are Raspberry Pi specific power adapters. 

Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks and Regards,
Rohan

GPIO or this. This worked for me.
The cable must be short and thick.

Power:
    Merkury usb wall charger 4 x USB 4.9A max
    Can run 2 Tinkerboards at same time. Hyper fast charging.
There are ones up to 6 amps. Could run 3 or 4 tinkeboards at the same time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Merkury-Innovat...rk:40:pf:0

Cable:
High Speed USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5 pin Male M/M Cable 3FT Works fixed low power on ebay
Maxiumum current conductivity. This is a thick cable that works. High speed data transfer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Speed-USB-...rk:16:pf:0
Hi,

at the beginning I had serious problems with power failures, too.

Unfortunately, the specifications of power supplies often do not match reality. Furthermore, the Tinker Board seems to be very sensitive to its power management.

I had unsuccessfully tested several power supplies; via gpio and via micro-usb. Finally, I had success with a 3A micro-USB power supply, which delivers exactly 5.22V according to my multimeter. With this power supply the Tinker Board has been working without any problems for weeks now.

Cheers
Mark
Have you tested your board to see if it's faulty?