This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinker board S shutdown unexpectedly.
Is anyone else having similar problem?
I bought a Tinker board S, Tinker power supply and a Tinker Fanless aluminum case few weeks ago.
Installed Armbian with kernel 4.4.x.
It doesn't have any problem when it's idle, but when I use it to browse websites sometimes the Tinker board just shutdown completely, when this happens there is not light on the board, but the external 3.5" USB drive I plugged in still has the lights blinking (like the board is still writing something to it.)
This usually happens when I open chromium or when I'm browsing websites.
The use case for the device is for Torrenting and browsing website, And what I can see with "armbianmonitor -m" is that the CPU temperature goes up to 84 degree Celsius when I'm browsing websites but no unexpected shutdown.
What could be the culprit?
> What could be the culprit?

Voltage drop due to bad powering. 100%
https://forum.armbian.com/forum/31-sd-ca...er-supply/
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
I thought the official power supply was enough but...

Anyway, I tried to underclock my Tinker Board S, and it's stable for me after 1 day of testing.

methods:
sudo nano /etc/default/cpufrequtils
## Change MAX_SPEED to 16000000 (original value is 19000000)
## CTRL+X, y
sudo /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils restart

And it should show your CPU clock is 1512MHz in "sudo armbianmonitor -m", I haven't tried higher value to see if it's stable, good enough for me.
> I thought the official power supply was enough but...

It's better than just some generic but mUSB is the worst possible way to power a board. It's a RPi likeness trap.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.