This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X11VNC, an alternative.
I am going to use the Tinker board as a dedicated tool. It will be used as a cryptocurrency BOT, hopefully generating some money. But essentially it will be installed in the electric cupboard and left alone. But I do need to be able to occasional access it to change some settings.

I started out using on the RDC tinker, hoping to use the standard RDC (MS Remote desktop Connection) on my PC, but that didn't work out. Very slow and often crashing. I finally settled on x11vnc. Easy install, seemed to work fine. But I found that it tends to lock up, but to be honest I could live with it.

Yesterday, I tried X2Go looks great on paper, but just couldn't get it to work. However, in the documentation, it mentioned NX technology. By searching for that I found NoMachine.

Bottom line, simple installation. Works great using my Android phone, it has a Windows client. It works at a similar speed to x11vnc. So it is quite responsive and more importantly, it appears to be very robust. I can recommend it. I can even stream youtube and streaming TV complete with sound. I can access my PC USB ports, share memory and use my printer etc so the integration is excellent.

Available from here.  

https : // www . nomachine.com / download / linux&id=30&s=ARM   (close up the spaces - choose  NoMachine for ARMv7 DEB)

simple install using:-  sudo dpkg -i nomachine_6.4.6_8_armhf.deb - thats it job done.

For windows client

https : // www . nomachine.com / download / download&id=8  
What about SSH. It's set since the installation. If you install dnsmasq, you may have also the FTP server available. But for my use, I can access any file by the SSH protocol.
Why you need to access the GUI ?
In most of the case it won't access the display where TB starts. That's a bit complicated issue.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
You have a good point, true for changing a few settings I could SSH and use terminal. But there are occasions when I want to access the tinker in the same way as if connecting a HDMI display, USB keyboard, and mouse. It's just convenient and works nicely having the full GUI. I'm also experimenting with adding some IOT devices, but that's another story. The tinker is behind a firewall and when inside the network it works nicely. Outside I can quickly log in via OpenVPN and access the tinker, a NAS and a couple of other smart systems I have. So it all just plays nicely for me this way.

I'm not sure what you mean about not accessing the display where TB starts. I did have a problem with X11vnc early on, it was seeing the OS desktop, but I was unable to "see" apps such as Chrome on the remote end even though they were opening, but this was when using the Asus supplied OS. I switched to the Elac Xubuntu18.04 which works fine and that particular problem disappeared.
Xvnc makes more sense than x11vnc for your usecase. x11vnc is meant for sharing an existing session.
(01-26-2019, 09:12 PM)GrahamGo Wrote: I'm not sure what you mean about not accessing the display where TB starts.
Technically the system starts on display:0, whereas a VNC session will start on display:1 or higher.
This is what I can tell by my experiences, because I never tried to access the same display where the system started, I was a bit difficult and perhaps unsafe.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(01-27-2019, 12:23 AM)Im4Tinker Wrote: Technically the system starts on display:0, whereas a VNC session will start on display:1 or higher.

You should not confuse X11 display numbers and VNC display numbers.

The display numbers used by X11 are reflected in:
- the local socket to connect to the display, see /tmp/.X11-unix/
- the default TCP port number, display 0 uses port 6000, display 1 port 6001, etc.

The display numbers used by VNC are reflected in:
- the TCP port number, port 5900 matches 0, 5901 matches 1, etc.
- the HTTP port number (usually provides a VNC Java applet), these start at port 5800

It is thus quite possible that VNC display 20 matches X11 display 0.

By default there's only one X11 server and starting another one (another X.org or maybe Xephyr) will complain :0 is already taken, but you can just specify another display number on the command line to get a second X11 server on another display. With VNC it just corresponds to the TCP port that the VNC server ends up binding to.