This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Nougat, adb shell+dmesg and future issues?
#1
--EDIT 30 Jan 2019: the attachment didn't go up yesterday for some reason, now added--

Admittedly, I am not proficient with android/linux, but this is crazy.

I decided that I would dust of the tinker board (not touched in nearly a year) and would use it as a second car pc.  (My goal is that the TB would run android and the following apps: Life360, Waze, Craftsman Garage Door Opener.  The "primary" computer is currently a mini-ITX running Win10 which is primarily used for TunerPro and DriveLine.  The mini-ITX is being replaced with a LattePanda Alpha....yes, I could run bluestacks on the LPA/Windows, but the TB begs to be used.)

Android Hardware: TB, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS antenna, 8" LCD monitor with Egalax resistive touch overlay (USB).

So the issue?  I downloaded the Nougat (14.1.2.50) image and wrote the image to an SD card.  I then installed Google Play Store from which I installed Life360, Waze, the Garage door app, and just a couple of ancillary utilities (e.g., terminal).  All was well until I tried to get the GPS drivers installed.

I planned to follow instructions in the libGPS thread.  Unfortunately, I get as far as running dmesg in the adb shell.  Instead of getting pertinent information (i.e., the device identifier similar to ttyACM0), i get hundreds of lines of errors.  (Image attached.)  Thinking that this was due in some unexplicable way to the ethernet connection (not likely), I ran dmesg on the TB.  Same result--nothing but hundreds of "undelivered transaction xxxxxx, process died" errors.

Other commands (e.g., dmesg | grep | -i usb) are not recognized in android, and lsusb list just the device # and hex ID.

Any thoughts?  Is this somehow a Nougat build issue?  Am I embarking on a path doomed to failure (given my limited proficiency)?

thanks in advance


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
thanks,
greg

kimnach dot org
Reply
#2
Not having gotten past that primary dmesg issue and seeing that i would have to compile a new kernel (I know that will be a trip) to get the egalax driver installed, I decided to start over late last night.

I grabbed the official RPI touchscreen from my 3D printer setup, flashed a new sd card with 14.1.2.50 image, and edited the build.prop file (i.e., sys.hwc.device.primary=DSI and sys.hwc.device.extend=HDMI-A).  I thought that at least I would have a working touch screen.  This was not to be: no touch functionality.  This goes contrary to precision215's video on youtube.  It workd for him, not for me.

I am beginning to think that this dedicated Tinker Board+android+Waze running on a second touch screen in my car is a rabbit hole that even Alice would get lost in.......

back to searching.
thanks,
greg

kimnach dot org
Reply
#3
Hi Kimnach, I use TB model 'S' with the standard Android 7 (probably the same build as you) as SatNav device in my car. It is connected to the official 7'' RPI touchscreen and old Navilock GPS USB receiver (chipset u-blox 5). All works fine, Waze and Mapfactor Navigator (OSM) are fully operational and stable.

I do not know what can cause your problems, but here is tip - try to search thread "MIPI-DSI Interface - Known Good Display not working with Tinkerboard - repost". It is from the linux world but Android contains linux kernel.

BTW, I use different GPS USB driver - you can look at my posts in the libGPS thread.
Reply
#4
(02-19-2019, 08:37 AM)maartinus Wrote: Hi Kimnach, I use TB model 'S' with the standard Android 7 (probably the same build as you) as SatNav device in my car. It is connected to the official 7'' RPI touchscreen and old Navilock GPS USB receiver (chipset u-blox 5). All works fine, Waze and Mapfactor Navigator (OSM) are fully operational and stable.

I do not know what can cause your problems, but here is tip - try to search thread "MIPI-DSI Interface - Known Good Display not working with Tinkerboard - repost". It is from the linux  world but Android contains linux kernel.

BTW, I use different GPS USB driver - you can look at my posts in the libGPS thread.

thanks for the follow-up.  The RPi touch screen did work with the v13 of TinkerOS-android: i tried that after the lack of success with the v14.

i will look into your posts on libgps.

thanks again,
greg

****** just a note *******
my Raspi 7" touch controller hardware is ver1.1
thanks,
greg

kimnach dot org
Reply
#5
You are welcome.

I took a look at your dmesg errors and I remembered something. In another forum, I was talking with somebody about similar problem. Try to google for "Emteria Time sync Rasp3 usb gps". Solution of binder errors was very unexpected:

==============
It is getting strange.
I did film the boot so i can playback what the boot was saying:
It found the Ublox 7 gps receiver. ACM0 cdc_acm 1-1.4:1.0
binder 164:164 transactoin failed 29189.
I changed the ACM to 1. Dont know why, and back to AMC0. Now the GPS status app is working. I can read the exact time from it.
==============

I would just say that original TB Android driver doesn't use build.prop file, but gps.conf (I think).
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)