This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinker Board Underclocked?
Is my tinker board underclocked?

Its running 20181023-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v2.0.8.img

linaro@tinkerboard:~$ lscpu
Architecture:          armv7l
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    4
Socket(s):             1
Model:                 1
Model name:            ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
CPU max MHz:           1512.0000
CPU min MHz:           126.0000
BogoMIPS:              48.00
Flags:                 half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm

The wikipedia page says this bad boy can handle 1.8ghz Upwards, but mines maxed at 1.5ghz?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Tinker_Board

Is it a power issue? I know the Raspberry Pi also throttles the speed based on low power?
I am using the micro-USB connector, does anyone know anything about this?

Is there a way I can force it back u to 1.8ghz safely? Do I just need to change the power, can I force it even on the power I am using and see if it works?

Thanks!
...it's a Bug of ThinkerOS 2.08 and will hopefully be fixed at 2.09.

Cheers
Mark
Hey @mark-aus-51 thanks!
I can confirm that flashing 2.0.7 I get the following:
```
linaro@tinkerboard:~$ lscpu
Architecture: armv7l
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 4
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 4
Socket(s): 1
Model: 1
Model name: ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
CPU max MHz: 1800.0000
CPU min MHz: 126.0000
BogoMIPS: 96.00
Flags: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm
```

Interestingly it would not power up with the same cable and supply I had before, so either a co-incidence that the lower power draw of 1.5 Ghz was able to boot, or maybe theres some kind of low power mode being triggered?

Either way, im glad I can get 1.8 Ghz.

Also what is with the Numbers on Wikipedia?
It says:
Quad core 1.8 GHz ARM Cortex-A17 (up to 2.6GHZ turbo clock speed) (32-bit)

Is that a theoretical max 2.6 Ghz with active cooling? Does anyone know if the 1.8 Ghz can be nudged u a bit say to 2 Ghz without active cooling?
According to my experiments it goes to around 2.1Ghz max, depending from your particular chip, some can, other doesn't ... but with proper powering.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.