This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinker Board S will not boot
Sad 
When I try to boot my Tinkerboard S nothing happens. The reg light comes on, but that's it. I have it plugged into a Dell 1440p monitor. I originally flashed the eMMC with an .img file of Tinker OS using dd. No errors were thrown, so I thought everything was fine, but it never would boot.

Now, when I plug the device into both Windows and Linux nothing happens and they never recognize the device. I put it in recovery mode with the jumper and Windows would recognize a new device was plugged in, but it wouldn't show up in file explorer, so there was no way to flash a new image.
I tried flashing an SD card with Tinker OS and that doesn't do anything either. Just the red light.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this? Is it likely just a faulty device? I've searched quite a few forums and have tried everything they suggest.
Verify the image integrity and retry to flash it again. You might need further information
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
Are you saying i should flash the eMMC or the SD Card again?
Definitely it is. Can you come out differently ?
You might check what is going on during boot time, if you have a USB-RS232TTL adapter.
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
(02-13-2019, 02:18 AM)sudo Wrote: When I try to boot my Tinkerboard S nothing happens. The reg light comes on, but that's it. I have it plugged into a Dell 1440p monitor. I originally flashed the eMMC with an .img file of Tinker OS using dd. No errors were thrown, so I thought everything was fine, but it never would boot.

Now, when I plug the device into both Windows and Linux nothing happens and they never recognize the device. I put it in recovery mode with the jumper and Windows would recognize a new device was plugged in, but it wouldn't show up in file explorer, so there was no way to flash a new image.
I tried flashing an SD card with Tinker OS and that doesn't do anything either. Just the red light.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this? Is it likely just a faulty device? I've searched quite a few forums and have tried everything they suggest.

Can you list everything you have tried.  
It's not good for us to have to guess what you have done.

Option1:
Have you done this one?
Installing on a new Tinkerboard S.
1 Install etcher in windows
2 Plug in the tinkerboard S
3 IGNOR windows not recognizing the TBoard
4 Run etcher and flash the eMMC.

Note:
Windows can't recognize a linux ext4 format.
Etcher does recognize a linux format.
If Etcher does not recognize the TB, you must have wiped out the first 4mb boot with the DD command. You may need to use Im4tinker's procedure for getting the 4mb back to working.

Option2:
emmc not recognised:
However... I still couldn't get the eMMC working. UNTIL I looked at the memory using gparted which recognized the memory as "unallocated". I used gparted to put two ext4 partitions on the eMMC. Next I connected the TBS to my trusty ASUS laptop (a shameless plug for ASUS) and fired up Etcher. Sure enough, the PC and Etcher recognized it and I flashed the TOS to the eMMC, hooked the TBS back to power and monitor, and presto, its alive again! Parted told me I needed two files,
mtools & dosfstools
which I downloaded. Back in business. Thank you for your patience and sharing the knowledge you have! Radioman

Option3:
If etcher fails to recognize, here is the solution.
Im4Tinker Put u-boot on a sd and set MASKROM
The board usually comes with TinkerOS already installed. But I can't guaranty was there on mine (I rewrote prior any check). So this will permits to identify it when plugged to USB port on the PC. Windows Explorer will notify a "non formatted media", because doesn't like to be involved to different file systems. But this suppose that the u-boot is written on the eMMC when booting. Virgin eMMC or corrupted u-boot will fall in the category of bricked TB Smile.
So to recover the brick condition it should need the procedures I described. The fastest is to write the u-boot on a SD card and boot with the jumper on MASKROM position. Later can plug the TB on a PC (with such setting) and the TB is found.

I'd like to point out that any kind of formatting is not necessary for all the OS proposed in this site. The reason is that it will take place a low level writing on the media. So this raw writing will transfer also the format information about the used file system. As stated early windows explorer can see the content of the file system only with some additional program. But nothing to do with the low level writing, that's a different path.

So if you had the chance to start TB by a SD card, from there you'll find the solution to recover the EMMC functionality.
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-1659.html
Important:
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index...._and_Flash
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/threa...ml#pid8445

Im4tinker procedure to get UMS back.
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/attac...hp?aid=353