This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusually low WiFi Speeds
I am running TinkerOS 2.08, and experience extremely slow up and download rates over wifi.
everything is much better when I connect via LAN.
Speeds measured with fast.com:
Wifi : 230 kbps
LAN: 77mbps

Wifi with my phone from the exact same location: 34 mbps

The Board is positioned freely on a table and is not in any sort of case.

Is such a huge drop in performance to be expected from an out of the box board, or is there something wrong here?

I got my image from sourceforge.net/projects/tinkerboard
I did not run sudo apt-get upgrade yet, because I am not sure how to prevent chromium from updating. Every time I did that, chromium stopped working.

I am very new  to the whole linux and SBC thing and just getting started, so it is entirely possible that I am overlooking something very obvious.
If there is any additional information I should post to troubleshoot this problem, please do let me know.

All attempts at helping me are greatly appreciated

Best Regards,
MulBe039
(03-15-2019, 02:31 AM)MulBe039 Wrote: I did not run sudo apt-get upgrade yet, because I am not sure how to prevent chromium from updating. Every time I did that, chromium stopped working.

sudo apt-mark hold chromium
@hartraft that was more of a tangential problem I was having, but thanks a lot anyways.

sudo apt-get upgrade returned ~2500 kb update of package updates, so I'm guessing the sourceforge image is pretty well maintained.

Anyways, on the topic of my original problem:

The wifi speed is still really low. However, I did try connecting to my phones hotspot, and I get about 12 mbps when I place my phone immediately next to the tinkerboard.

I'm guessing the 2.4 gHz Band is simply super cluttered in the are where I live, and that must be it or something.

How I could go about testing that I don't really know, but the fact that I can achieve 10+mbps speeds on the board tells me that it isn't a software or hardware issue, but rather a problem with available connectivity in my home.

I will try upgrading the on-board antenna to something with a little more gain. Possibly even a directional one, if I decide on a permanent location for the board.

I will post an update here once I have the results of that.

Best Regards,
MulBe039
Have you try near to the router ?
Or it has currently changed ?
Light blue words might be a link. Have you try to click on them? Big Grin
I had a similiar problem, tried different distors, but the problem persisted. Tho I have to add that wifi at first worked well without any problem and after a while it started being iffy.

The wifi gradually went from bad to worse, until actually almost stopped functioning pretty much completely.

I eventually had my board RMA'd, new board have not had such problems so far.